Russia and Georgia at war

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by BernOrange, Aug 8, 2008.

1. BernOrange

BernOrange 500+ Posts

In reply to:

2. Uncle Rico

Uncle Rico 1,000+ Posts

let's go intervene and say it's because we are trying to help and then swipe all the oil!

3. BernOrange

BernOrange 500+ Posts

You're right. The war would pay for itself and the people would thank us!

4. Red Five

Red Five 500+ Posts

Stafford and Moreno = advantage Georgia.

Actually, that's one tailgate I'd love to see.

5. LonghornLawyer

LonghornLawyer 500+ Posts

6. Fievel121

Fievel121 2,500+ Posts

7. Michtex

Michtex 1,000+ Posts

At what point do the Dawg fans start chanting "Over-rated"?

8. NEWDOC2002

NEWDOC2002 1,000+ Posts

Since when did Russia get a NCAA football program?

9. Fievel121

Fievel121 2,500+ Posts

Its 10:36 and Russia still sucks.

....so does ou

10. LonghornLawyer

One has to wonder what the Russian plan is here. Are they going to annex South Ossetia? Or are they going to go further and just annex the whole of Georgia?

Either way, this doesn't serve Russia's long-term interests. It will only encourage other former Soviet republics to join NATO and will encourage the Baltics to ask the United States to base its anti-ballistic missile system in their countries.

11. Woland

Woland 500+ Posts

12. TexonLongIsland

TexonLongIsland 2,500+ Posts

Georgia has apparently announced they are removing the 1,000 troops they have serving in Iraq and redeploying them at home.

13. BernOrange

BernOrange 500+ Posts

I found a link to this on another website. I know nothing about the site:In reply to:

14. zzzz

zzzz 2,500+ Posts

15. Laphroaig10

Laphroaig10 1,000+ Posts

Does that make Bulldogs! the new Woliverines!?

16. stabone

stabone 500+ Posts

17. NEWDOC2002

NEWDOC2002 1,000+ Posts

Looks like the Russians aren't pulling any punches. It's getting serious real quick. I wonder if this is a message to the other "independent" republics?

18. HornsHornsHorns

HornsHornsHorns 500+ Posts

But can Russia win halftime?

19. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

Who has better helmets? Are the Aggies swaying the poll?

20. gecko

gecko 2,500+ Posts

Russia's miitary really sucks.

21. Wesser

Wesser 1,000+ Posts

22. sak

sak 250+ Posts

Seriously, does Georgia even stand a chance here? What are they trying to accomplish? Did they think that Russia will let them take South Ossetia?

23. CTGA_Horn

CTGA_Horn 250+ Posts

24. LonghornLawyer

25. Bevo Incognito

Bevo Incognito 5,000+ Posts

Meanwhile I'm watching the opening ceremonies of the Olympic Games and there's Bush sitting next to Vladimer Putin and just being good old pals with him.

26. zzzz

zzzz 2,500+ Posts

He should knife him. Or snub him like Obama did Hillary. That would give everyone another reason to ***** how they're embarrassed he's our president.

27. ScoPro

ScoPro 1,000+ Posts

WTF? The Rooskies bombed Fort Benning?

I was born there.

Fookin' commie bastids.

28. Go Trees

Go Trees 100+ Posts

So does this make Georgia and Ukraine's NATO aspirations more or less likely? If I'm Ukraine this is just another data point that Russia cannot be trusted. If I'm Germany I want those pipelines going through Turkey so I'm not dependent on Russia for my energy needs. If I'm Germany I also want that buffer of Ukraine just in case.

29. A. BETTIK

A. BETTIK 1,000+ Posts

Who knows what the hell is really happening there now. If I were Ivan, I'd secure the South Ossetian perimeter and rough up a 10km buffer zone. At some point South Ossetia will petition to join the Russian Federation and that will be that. Europe gets Kosovo and Russia gets South Ossetia.

If I were the EU, I'd offer a 100,000 Euros to each of the 70,000 people to South Ossetia to move north, offer to buy gas from the Russian pipeline exclusively for a 10 year period and in exchange Russia lets Georgia have South Ossetia for another decade. After feeling good about making the offer, then I'd be stingy as hell and just opt for plan Ivan above.

30. 2003TexasGrad

2003TexasGrad Son of a Motherless Goat

"Meanwhile I'm watching the opening ceremonies of the Olympic Games and there's Bush sitting next to Vladimer Putin and just being good old pals with him."

Ive stated it on another thread, but this kind of dilpomacy, while smart politically, is bad PR in reality. As Bush derides China and Russia for their record, he meets with them and "respects" them, while simultaneously making political statements about bringing freedom and democracy to the middle east through the removal of their dictators.

How he can respect Putin and China but not respect Saddam doesnt make sense. No one can possibly say that Saddam was worse, especially when we supported Saddam during his war with Iran.