Rusty the Dog

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by KingBobo81, Oct 2, 2008.

1. KingBobo81

KingBobo81 250+ Posts

I think it is time for the Rusty story to make an appearance...

Me and the wife and my neighbor and his wife are great long-time Buff fans and we decided to make the trip down to Austin for the game.

We found Austin nice enough, and looked forward to a great day of tailgating and Big 12 football. We parked the RV together with a few other CU boosters who had driven down for the game, but mostly surrounded by Horn fans. We got there around 9 a.m. and broke out the beer and brats, and stoked up the barbecue. I'd brought my mutt Rusty, he was a 9-year-old Golden Retriever, a bit gimpy from arthritis but friendly as all heck whose favorite thing in the whole world was to go to football tailgaters. I'd dragged that dog all over the country – to Michigan and Nebraska in '94; to Wisconsin in '95 and never had any bad experience with Rusty - he was the type of dog that would melt even the hardest Husker, who'd he greet with his favorite whiff frisbee in mouth.

Anyway, we were having a pretty good time at the tailgater, talking it up with other Buff fans and even breaking out some cold and icy ones for a few Horn fans who stopped by to chat and talk about the big game.

It was mostly friendly stuff, except for one group of Horn fans in an old yellow school bus with back-to-back Longhorn and Confederate flags who were directly to the right of my RV. From the time they got there, I sensed there was trouble. There was six or seven of them, two of them apparently female. They were pretty loud and obnoxious from the beginning, blaring out what sounded like Lynard Skynard or worse. The seemed to have showed up drunk, and were drinking hard liquor, straight from the bottle. Soon after they got there, Rusty wandered on over and the biggest and meanest looking of the bunch (who they called Tiny), with a big Longhorn logo tatooed his forehead, starts chasing him off yelling "GET ON OUT HERE YA Gawdang Buffalo DOG!!!! Except he didn't say "dang". He apparently didn't like the fact that Rusty was wearing his favorite Buffalo doggie sweater.

Anyways, I just gathered up Rusty and we stayed to ourselves with other Buff fans trying to keep as far from trouble as we could. Pretty soon it was time to go to the game, and I did what I always do with Rusty, I tied his teather to the RV, leaving him a bowl of water and some food. I've regretted that decision a thousand times since then, even though at the time I'd thought nothing of it. The trouble makers in the school bus by then were ignoring us, having been joined by other friends, and obviously intoxicated in the extreme.

Of course we enjoyed the game, what with a Buff win and all, and found DKR to be an impressive stadium, even though the Horn fans were as placid as Buff fans usually are. As we walked from the stadium after the game and approached the RV I could see right away that something was wrong. The Buffalo awning attached to the RV and covering the picnic table had been knocked over. I ran up to the RV calling Rusty’s name and to my horror saw that Rusty wasn’t there. The only thing there was his leash and empty collar.

I looked frantically around for old Rusty, calling his name and asking anyone who would listen if they’d seen an old Golden Retriever with a Buffalo sweater. No one had. I was nearly in tears when I heard laughter and barking behind me. I turned around to again face the Horns on the bus, who by then numbered 10-12 or so. They were laughing, hollering and barking. I gathered my courage and approached the group. Where’s my dog?? I demanded. All I got back was laughter and barking, and the big ugly one just took a big bite out the huge Turkey leg he had just grabbed off the barbeque, dripping sauce all over his dirty Ricky Williams jersey. “We ain’t seen no damn dog,” someone said, provoking more laughter and barking from the group. I was angry as hell, looking at each of them eye to eye, trying to see in their faces what they might have done with my Rusty.

“Hey mister,” one of them finally said, “you hungry?” “Want something to eat?” I turned to look at the Hornfan minding the grill. “We were doggone hungry, so we cooked something up!” The whole group burst into howling laughter at that point, more than one spitting up food or liquor, bowled over and slapping each other on their backs. It wasonly then I realized where my Rusty had gone. That wasn’t no turkey leg that Tiny was eating.

“You ate Rusty,” I said to the Horn fans.

Uttering that awful truth only sent the Horns into further laughter, and I did the only thing I could do. I turned around and walked back to the RV. I told the wife that Rusty was gone and there wasn’t no point in looking for him. She could see I was upset and started to protest but then looked in my eyes and saw that it was true and that was that.

Ever since that trip to Austin, I havn’t much liked Horn fans. Each Saturday when I hear the Football scores over at Folsom, or on the radio, I take special pleasure when Texas is at the losing end. In August, I finally got me a new dog, a retriever, just a pup, who we named Rusty II. He’s a great dog and loves tailgating, though he can never replace old Rusty.

This summer at the new Flatirons Mall, me and the wife ran into a group of CU football players. Marcus was there, and I think that Joey Johnson kid was too (he’s from Texas). I told them about Rusty and they practically cried. Most of them had dogs as kids, and didn’t have words bad enough for the kind of fans that would eat dog. I told them that I had moved on, not one to hold grudges or to be hateful, even for such an awful thing. But I did ask them one thing. When you go into Austin this year, could you do old Rusty a favor? Beat those Horns. Marcus told me, “we’ll win for Rusty.”

I hope they do too. Damn dog eaters.

2. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

Tastes like Chicken.

[​IMG]

3. austintex

austintex 500+ Posts

Anyone got any info on where to find a good dog in Boulder? I'd prefer something with a pedigree -- their meat is more tender.

4. Booyakasha!

Booyakasha! Guest

I guess I havent been around long enough to know if thats a joke or not, but gawdang, I hope it is. Do we really have fans that would eat a poor dog? I think I would have killed someone that day if they ate my dog.

5. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay 500+ Posts

RIP Rusty. You sure were tasty. [​IMG]

6. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Thats what Texas fans do. We wave confederate flags and eat dogs. By the way worst tasting dog ever.

7. Puerto Aransas

Puerto Aransas 100+ Posts

We never pass up good tender BBQ in Texas. Did you really think the graves at Kyle had cute little collies in 'em?

8. Vote For Pedro

Vote For Pedro 500+ Posts

9. salonghorn-70

salonghorn-70 2,500+ Posts

I know for a few years some still had frozen Rusty in the frige.Anyone still have some or did we finally finish it off?

10. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

11. Horns_in_Space

Horns_in_Space < 25 Posts

For those that are new, hopefully the title of the board between Quacks and Esther's on the left side will shed some light.

12. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

Hell, we ate the first Bevo. You don't know who you're messin' with here, cowboy. Dogs? MMmmmmm, Reveille.

13. GRhino

GRhino 250+ Posts

That's the first time I've heard the whole story about this & I hope to hell it ain't true.

14. Puerto Aransas

Puerto Aransas 100+ Posts

Just for this week can we call it "Ralphie's Grill"?

15. SWHorn

SWHorn 500+ Posts

Good Lord, people.

16. Austin180

Austin180 1,000+ Posts

I can't believe this thread hasn't been moved to In the Crock Pot. But here goes, golden retriever/yellow lab does taste like chicken, black lab is drier, more like venison, and chocolate lab, you don't want chocolate lab. [​IMG]

17. Vote For Pedro

Vote For Pedro 500+ Posts

18. 13evO

13evO 500+ Posts

Oh yeah. That pails in comparison to my trip to Boulder with my pet Buffalo, Rocky.

19. LITNIN HORN

LITNIN HORN 1,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

we roasted us somebody's pet pig last week. MMMMMMMMMMMM!

[​IMG]

20. TheFied

TheFied 2,500+ Posts

My wife's family used to have a golden retriever mix named Rusty. He had bad arthritis as well. He is no longer with us but I'm pretty sure a UT fan didn't eat him. I hope.

21. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

22. veggieboy

veggieboy 500+ Posts

That damn dog made me sick.

I became a vegetarian because of that dog...

23. Kafka

Kafka 100+ Posts

This is an example of a shaggy dog story ( a sub genre in American story telling). From wikipedia: "In its original sense, a shaggy dog story is an extremely long-winded tale featuring extensive narration of typically irrelevant incidents, usually resulting in a pointless or absurd punchline. These stories are a special case of yarns, coming from the long tradition of campfire yarns".

BTW, shaggy dog stories aren't required to have a shaggy dog in the story. It was kind of the author of this story to include a shaggy dog in this story so that we would know he is kidding.

24. Pentaconta

Pentaconta 1,000+ Posts

So when do we get to eat Rusty II? I'm hungry!

25. LonghornGirlie

LonghornGirlie 500+ Posts

26. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

The Baby ate your Dingo.

27. TX-EX_98

TX-EX_98 25+ Posts

Seriously folks, how CAN you believe this?

Two easy points show the fiction:

1) Longhorn tattoo on the forehead; and

2) Sweaters in Austin pre-December.

It is absolute hi-larity though.

28. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Soak meat for 48 hours in coca cola. Rub with your favorite seasoning, but prefer something with a little brown sugar as the sweetness compliments the meat and seals in the juices as it cooks. Smoke on the pit for 8 hours with a combination of oak, hickory and mesquite. Wrap in foil and continue cooking for another 4 hours. Unwrap and finish off for 30 min to 1 hour. Let rest for 20 minutes then enjoy.

29. Mitch Cumsteen

Mitch Cumsteen 250+ Posts

You can doubt or deny the veracity of this story if you want... but those of us who were actually there that day will never forget the atrocities done to Rusty and the CU fans. It was one of the saddest days I've ever had as a Longhorn fan and I think the only time that I have ever been embarrassed to call myself a Horn.

Poor Rusty is in doggie/barbecue heaven and all you can do is make jokes? Shame on you. Shame on all of you.

30. Lidig8r

Lidig8r 250+ Posts

The most difficult part of that day was gettin the dang thing skinned... (see Death of Pig thread at Rusty's Grill by way of example).

Didn't have enough time to marinade it.. and. had to really flash grill it to make sure it was done by the time the game was over.