?'s about AZ ask me

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by UTFanFromAZ, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Ignatius

Ignatius 1,000+ Posts

I am interested in this hot chick thing of which you speak, and my boy has set us up with a sweet place in Tempe; however, what's the scene there going to be like on Jan. 5th with school out?

2. TexasRx

TexasRx 500+ Posts

If you hung out more in Flag then you'd find out.

[​IMG]

3. Austin99

Austin99 25+ Posts

I really appreciate all the advice and suggestions in this thread. I will be staying at the W in Scottsdale and was wondering if anyone has stayed there before and what they thought.

4. Texas___Fight

Texas___Fight 2,500+ Posts

We are staying in Peoria. How far is this from all the action you speak of?

5. UTFanFromAZ

UTFanFromAZ 250+ Posts

I was joking about Mickey's Hangover...it is an awesome place to go to party, but it gets really busy when the bars close @ 2am. Everybody goes there to eat food, hangout, play pool, etc

Also I go to NAU (in Flagstaff) the chicks there are horrendous compared to ASU...and I hate ASU

Where exactly in Peoria? If its the way west side...then probably 45 minutes from all the 'action'

6. UTFanFromAZ

UTFanFromAZ 250+ Posts

Austin99...check PM

7. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

I still want to know what The Thing was.

8. Texas___Fight

Texas___Fight 2,500+ Posts

9. Bottlecap

Bottlecap 250+ Posts

if you still have the option, get the hell out of Peoria. You will be driving and driving and driving. You will not like your PHX experience. The furthest west you should stay is downtown Phoenix or midtown Phoenix.

10. majorwhiteapples

majorwhiteapples 5,000+ Posts

IG:

It is still a large town. School being out will not be like school being in session but it will be better than a college town like B/CS. It will be like Austin when school is not in session.

Every year I go back to the area, family, for the Holidays, basically it is golf, eating and bars.

Someone in On The Road mentioned the Frank Lloyd Wright house/museum, it is a must see if you get into archietecture(SP) or that type of thing.

Hiking excellent and biking is pretty big on some of those mountains.

11. BoSquared

BoSquared 250+ Posts

The Tee Pee has okay mexican food and cheap beer...

12. BoSquared

BoSquared 250+ Posts

This game was so much better when it was at Sun Devils Stadium...Glendale is too damn far from anything and not near as much fun.

13. Tecolote

Tecolote 100+ Posts

How crappy are the seats in the terrace? I ask because although mine appear to be on the 50 I usually hate games where I am upstairs in a dome.

14. UTkicker

UTkicker 100+ Posts

What are the drinking laws in Arizona? Can a passenger have an open container? Also are there any dry county's namely in the Glendale area? Any tips on places in the Glendale area with cheap drinks?

Hook Em

15. majorwhiteapples

No Open containers and bars close at 1pm, at least they used to a couple of years ago. Open Containers, wasn't Texas the last to get that law in place? I don't see what the issue is with Open Containers if the driver is not drinking?

I don't think there are any Dry counties.

There is a heavy Mormon influence. DWI is pretty tough out there, cab or designated driver even if drinking a little.

16. Bottlecap

Bottlecap 250+ Posts

bars stop serving at 2, but you can drink til 2:30. Some of the liquor laws are great -- you can buy hard booze in grocery stores and convenient stores. Don't even bother with a flask, just pick up a traveler at the Circle K. Or, lots of bars will stock minis for you to buy for a couple of bucks before the game.

no dry counties.

Don't drink and drive. Just don't do it there. Sheriff Joe is a piece of **** who would love to have you in tent city. Especially if you are brown.

17. hookemjoeman

hookemjoeman 25+ Posts

UTFanfromAriz --> what resort does your brother work at? I am bringing my golf clubs and would definitely be interested in a hookup for golf. Flying in from Dallas on Jan. 2 evening and staying through Jan. 7 early evening. Staying at a friend's place by Arizona Mills Mall in Tempe for the 1st 2 days I'm there and then will be staying in Scottsdale by the Fashion Square Mall/Old Town Scottsdale from the 4th through the 7th. My friend is a BIG golfer and would also be interested in any kind of resort golf!

Bottlecap --> Agree with your recommendations. Was in Scottsdale May 2007 and went to a lot of the places you mentioned in your post. SeaSaw (owned by Nobu owner) was an great restaurant. Of course, you can't go wrong with In-N-Out from California. If only In-N-Out could make it to Texas it would definitely compete with Whataburger and would do really well with all the California transplants now living in Texas!!! Cougars are all over the place in Old Town Scottsdale at night, and that will definitely be the happening place to be throughout the Fiesta Bowl weekend! [​IMG]

Hook'em

18. bigbad66

bigbad66 25+ Posts

TexasRx: just saw your sig pic of Manny's ale - are you from Seattle? Do you know Manny (Manuel)?

I grew up with Manuel and his brother in Portland - small world. We were good friends, and my brother still keeps up with him (I live in SF now).

19. bigbad66

bigbad66 25+ Posts

Question re: Scottsdale: I know it is the best place to stay in terms of food/bars/etc. However, it looks like a haul to/from the stadium (could be up to an hour?). Thus, if you want to guzzle beverages pre/during game, that's quite a drive to make afterwards.

Am I missing something?

20. UTkicker

UTkicker 100+ Posts

Thanks for the info. One more question about the game and stadium. Does anyone know if they have metal detectors? I ask because I plan on bringing a flask, but need to know if I should go metal or plastic.

Hook Em

21. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Link
    Looks like Whataburger has taken the fight to In-N-Out.

22. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

23. UTFanFromAZ

UTFanFromAZ 250+ Posts

My brother works at 56st and Shea at the Orange Tree Golf Resort.

Also there are a lot of Whataburgers as you can tell for you Texas boys....

In-N-Out is better though! Secret Menu!

24. Bottlecap

Bottlecap 250+ Posts

There are no metal detectors at the UofP stadium entrance. I was even there once for a USA-Mexico soccer game and they barely patted us down -- but maybe bc we were 8 Americans out of thousands of Mexicans.

The drive from scottsdale to the stadium COULD be up to an hour, but the freeway system in the Valley is tip-top. Taking surface roads could set you back some time. If you stay in old town, just take scottsdale road to the 202. From the 202 head west until you merge with the 10. From the 10, take it past the stadium to the 101, where it will loop around and you will come to the west side of the stadium (essentially the backside). There will be traffic near the stadium, but it won't be THAT bad.

They've hosted MNCs, BCS games, and a superbowl. They kinda got their **** down by now.

Without traffic, your drive will be about 45 mins -- mostly freeway travel time. Sure, driving back to S'dale after the game will be a chore, but its all freeway.

25. majorwhiteapples

If you are from Houston, Dallas or San Antonio not big deal from Scottsdale to Glendale. You are used to 30-45 minute drives. If you are from anywhere else it seems like a trip within a trip.

According to my brother, who lives in North East Mesa, he has not been to a Coyotes game since 2003? and refuses to drive the almost hour for him to see the Cardinals.

This new stadium is killing the Fiesta Bowl. At Sun Devil Stadium, which is a dump now, there was ambience(sp) things to do before the game, spend money, party, tailgate, shop, eat at nice restaurants all within walking distance. They are just starting to build it up around the UPS.

26. bigbad66

bigbad66 25+ Posts

majorwhiteapples: thanks re: the travel time; the travel time isn't the issue so much as not wanting to drink/drive (which, based on other posts, is a major no-no in AZ); thus, question: my current hotel is walking distance from the stadium - are there enough bars/restaurants near there that we can at least have a good time before/after the game? thanks

27. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

28. TexasRx

TexasRx 500+ Posts

BB66- I live not too far away from the brewery in Seattle. Haven't met Manny personally, but I'm on their mailing list so will probably bump into him someday. I also like to go by the brewery and pick up a growler of Manny's when thirsty.

I always picked Whataburger over In-N-Out when I lived in PHX. IMHO, I/O has decent burgers but Whataburger is better all around. I like the Tee-Pee on Indian School (Lower Westside Arcadia Ghetto) - If I remember correctly even George W. ate there once. If you like low-key Italian then hit Oregano's- the "Alfredo the Dark" southwest pasta dish is allsome.

29. Bottlecap

Bottlecap 250+ Posts

30. bigbad66

bigbad66 25+ Posts

TexasRx - if you meet Manny, say "hello from Andy and Alan from Beaverton" - it will (hopefully) put a smile on his face!

He's a good guy - hopefully he throws some free beer at you.