?'s about AZ ask me

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by UTFanFromAZ, Dec 9, 2008.

1. TexasRx

TexasRx 500+ Posts

Mmmm....free beer [​IMG]

2. TeachinHorn

TeachinHorn 25+ Posts

We used to buy beer at the Cotton Bowl. Beer at the Fiesta?? (He says hopefully)

3. suekel

suekel 25+ Posts

We are staying in an area of Phoenix called Metrocenter/I-17. How far will we be from the stadium and from any kind of nightlife?

Thanks to the AZ locals for all the great info on this thread.

4. UTFanFromAZ

UTFanFromAZ 250+ Posts

Suekel, that is not the best area....I'm being serious be careful. You're stuck right between the middle of Scottsdale and the Stadium....20 minutes west you're at the Stadium and 20 minutes east you're at Scottsdale

the i-17 freeway is very friendly so that will get you access to everything.

There are bars I am sure by your area, but nothing considered 'nightlife' like by the Stadium or Scottsdale

5. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

Teachin:

Alcohol is always served at bowl games, since they are not NCAA events.

UTFan: What time does alcohol service stop on various nights at bars?

6. UTFanFromAZ

UTFanFromAZ 250+ Posts

most if not all bars/clubs stop serving @ 2am.....granted I can get access to drinks till about 2:30am though.

7. ScoPro

ScoPro 1,000+ Posts

So where is the TexasExes tailgate gonna be located in the stadium area the afternoon of the game?

We have reservations for the Phoenix LaQuinta at Thomas Road/I-17. Is that a bad/dangerous area?

Thanks.

PS - The wife & I are old, so the nightlife isn't high on our list. [​IMG]

8. UTFanFromAZ

UTFanFromAZ 250+ Posts

ScoPro, the I-17 goes from McDowell Rd (south) up to Union Hills (North) Thomas is 1 mile north of McDowell Rd......so ScoPro you're in South Phoenix....not the best of area's...you should be okay since you're right by the i-17, but definitely keep an eye out....South Phoenix like said earlier in this post is a shady area.

I wouldn't spend anytime in that whole area except going to sleep to be honest. Unless you go to a Suns game or something.

Also any information on the TexasExes tailgate before the game is greatly appreciated.

9. Texas___Fight

Texas___Fight 2,500+ Posts

Any info on the Hornfans tailgate yet?

10. UTFanFromAZ

UTFanFromAZ 250+ Posts

Was wondering that myself....Texas Fight

TexasExes are having a little shindig @ Cadillac Ranch Sunday @ 5pm though

11. Bottlecap

Bottlecap 250+ Posts

12. vball

vball 250+ Posts

How is the area around the airport? Got a really good rate from Priceline on the Hilton Airport. Not really interested in the nightlife. Just looking for a place to stay. What is the estimated drive time to the stadium?

Thanks.

13. longhorn-ex

longhorn-ex 250+ Posts

Robert/Katy .... will there be a HornFans tailgate or are you planning something more informal (like Hoffbrau in Dallas before Texas-OU) .... Thanks!

14. UTFanFromAZ

UTFanFromAZ 250+ Posts

You're crazy.....I personally think the whole area south of Dunlap is a pure **** hole, but then again I live on Scottsdale and Thunderbird.

i-17 McDowell/Thomas area is not a good area....maybe the Central area has some decent homes, but still overall its a bad area....and so is buckeye and more south.

15. Zona Horn

Zona Horn 500+ Posts

16. NebLHAB

NebLHAB 500+ Posts

W the weather forecast partly cloudy, 64 high, 41 overnight low, will they have the roof open or closed (how can we check ahead of time?). Makes a difference what we'll pack and wear.

What's the deal on parking? Pre pay or pay at the gate or ?

Beat the HELL outta tOSU!

m/

17. coryomfs

coryomfs 25+ Posts

You need to get a parking pass before the game. Most if not all the lots around the stadium are pre-paid lots. There are not many options around the stadium.

18. AustinBat

AustinBat 2,500+ Posts

Don't knock The Yardhouse just because it's in a mall. We drove to the first Rose Bowl, and went to one in Palm Springs on a recommendation from a native. The Bernaise Burger was spectacular. We then discovered that our Rose Bowl Parade seats were across the street from one in Pasadena - sent hubby across near the end of the parade (dodging floats) to reserve a table for 20. We still talk about that burger - were talking about it yesterday at Cover 3 while watching the Titans.

19. Texas0407

Texas0407 500+ Posts

Anyone that has been to Scottsdale or is from there...

What are your three favorite restaurants?

20. UTFanFromAZ

UTFanFromAZ 250+ Posts

Like the above poster said, The Yard House is great. I got sucked into it on Fathers Day and tried their burgers too....became very addicted to them!

Beer/Plasma's/Killer Music...what is not to like?

21. Horns83

Horns83 500+ Posts

We're flying into Phoenix the morning of the game, renting a car, and driving to UofP Stadium. What's the best way to do parking? Parking passes? If so, where can they be obtained?

22. UTSquared

UTSquared 25+ Posts

All of the parking passes for all but the peripheral Blue Lots are gone from official outlets, so you have to go Craig's List or Ebay for those; there aren't many being sold without game tix. You have to have a parking pass to enter on the grounds of UoPS in a car. You can still purchase a Blue Lot parking pass (at least you could this morning) via the Fiesta Bowl Ticket Office for $30 plus $12 handling fee, but it has to be picked up at their office no later than Saturday, I think before 12. That would seem to leave you out. You can have it Fed-Exed to you, for another $12. Theoretically, they will sell parking passes at the gate IF any are available. Therein is the rub. Good luck, and Hook'em!

23. Austin99

Austin99 25+ Posts

I was also worried about where I was going to park considering I don't have a parking pass. I am not familiar with the area but I spoke with someone at the ticket office and they said there would be plenty of parking at a strip mall or a church. I plan on getting there early so hopefully that won't be a problem.

24. ScoPro

ScoPro 1,000+ Posts

Thanks for the heads-up.

I called the Fiesta Bowl ticket office about the Blue lots parking passes. They are still available for $30 plus $12 phone handling fee. The office will be open Sunday until 5pm for pickup.

I just ordered mine.

Called 480-350-0911 - had to wait about 7 or 8 minutes to talk to a rep. He was very helpful.

Changed our room reservation from south Phoenix to Scottsdale.

25. Sooner-Tuf

Sooner-Tuf 1,000+ Posts

26. Horn-N-LA

Horn-N-LA 1,000+ Posts

I didn't read every single post but I don't think this was mentioned, but my roommate, who is from Mesa told me, apparently Phoenix area has just recently installed speeding traps on all the highways if not most of them. All you'll see is a flashing light as you go by. So be careful out there driving.

27. UTFanFromAZ

UTFanFromAZ 250+ Posts

Yes, the above poster is correct.....on all of our freeways there are speed cameras/traps, so be very aware of your speed while on the roads.

everybody hates them, they're such a pain in the ***! [​IMG] [​IMG]

28. ScoPro

ScoPro 1,000+ Posts

We don't plan to meet up with Sheriff Joe.

I don't like pink BVDs.

29. bluto

bluto 500+ Posts

any comments/thoughts on the 3 Palms 'resort' in scottsdale?

30. Texas___Fight

Texas___Fight 2,500+ Posts

Thanks for the heads up on the speed traps. Anyone know what the speed limit is on I-10 west of El Paso? I know it's 80mph out west on I-10 but I'm not sure about it in New Mexico and AZ.