S Carolina pols call on black recruits to boycott

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Max Powers, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Max Powers

Max Powers 100+ Posts

2. general35

general35 5,000+ Posts

that's nice of them. asking the players to give up a year of eligibility for political reasons.

3. THEYESOFTXS

THEYESOFTXS 100+ Posts

Wait, 30% of the population of the state is black, 11% of the student body is black and .045% of the Board of trustees is black... Sounds like business as usual in the Palmetto State.

I recall when there was the big flap over the confederate flag over the state capital back, maybe 2002?

Quite frankly I think South Carolina can be summed up in the immortal words of Jesse Lee Willis:
    The Link

4. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

Why is this a racial issue?

5. THEYESOFTXS

THEYESOFTXS 100+ Posts

I guess becauase people feel like African-Americans or grossly under-represented on the board of trustees for USC in comparison to their representation as members of the student body and as members of the football team.

6. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

^ Obviously there is a quota of 1 black person on the South Carolina board of regents and the fact the white legislators are not enforcing this quota makes them racist. South Carolina black legislators have decided to make life harder on black athletes playing football at South Carolina in protest.

I'm surprised South Carolina white legislators have not protested the underrepresentation of white athletes on the South Carolina football and basketball teams.

7. THEYESOFTXS

THEYESOFTXS 100+ Posts

I doubt any of those players will ask out of their schollies... It really is the opportunity of a lifetime to go to school for free and play football.

It would be interesting to see them find some other way protest the lack of a black member on the board of trustees...

Similar to the black olympians with the black gloves.

What would be great is if Spurrier or their team captains had the team play a quarter or a series of downs with the players on the field being 99.5% non-black.

Now that would be awesome!

8. texas_ex2000

texas_ex2000 2,500+ Posts

Three of the best human beings I've ever met are South Carolinians: My Master Chief from the Navy (who had three Master's Degrees...one from Harvard), my former investment banking analyst (who actually graduated from Wofford), and a current colleague. I dated a girl last year who went to College of Charleston...very nice gal. They all love South Carolina. I don't get the whole "South Carolina is a backwards" state from any of the people I know who grew up there. Freakin' oklahoma is a backwards state if you need an example.

9. Max Powers

Max Powers 100+ Posts

10. THEYESOFTXS

THEYESOFTXS 100+ Posts

I know some fine folks from South Carolina as well... But as a state they just seem pretty determined to hang on to their confederate flags and other antebellum vestiges, etc... I don't know why. Seems pretty hard headed. And obviously they are having some diversity problems - unless of course the only candidates qualified for the board of trustees are all white... Which would be suprising.

11. kgp

kgp 1,000+ Posts

"...confederate flags and other antebellum vestiges..."

Not excessively to nitpick, but the "confederate flag" as most understand it (the stars and bars) is not an antebellum or southern heritage symbol. It dates from the war itself and is a battle flag. As such it is not a symbol for the South except inasmuch as it is a symbol for armed conflict with the USA. The flag was chosen as a diagonally tilted cross to avoid alienating Jews otherwise favorably disposed toward the southern cause. It is thus a symbol not only of war against the US but also of cynical political and religious calculation.

I am prepared to listen to arguments that the Constitution did not forbid the states the power (and hence by amendment 10 reserved it) to secede and that the flag represents ongoing rejection of northern hegemony. While such a claim would be at odds with the practical reality of American history, at least it would be philosophically consistent. To argue, however, that the stars and bars are a meaningful symbol of southern culture and/or heritage is to dally in some combination of ignorance and deception.

EDIT I have used "stars and bars" to refer to the confederate battle flag, whereas (at least some and presumably most) authorities only refer to the original confederate flag as the stars and bars. The CBF, while comprising stars and bars, is not necessarily correctly described as such. I regret any confusion caused by my post.

12. THEYESOFTXS

THEYESOFTXS 100+ Posts

True enough...

In fact I over generalized there...

The stars and bars in South Carolina and other southern captials did not make it back up on top of the statehouses until the 1960's as a reaction to the Civil Rights Movement. So it is not accurately an antebellum vestige... It is an anti-civil rights symbol.

13. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

"It is an anti-civil rights symbol."

Good Lord , do you ever think or research before you post? The state flag of SC, the Palmetto state is a white palmetto and crescent moon on blue background
    but PLEASE make something racist out of that.

The flag that flies over the state of South Carolina today is of the same design that flew over the independent South Carolina during the Civil War

Make crap up much?

14. THEYESOFTXS

THEYESOFTXS 100+ Posts

ehhhh... I'm talking, or was talking originally, about the 'confederate battle flag' which has been on the capital grounds, in one location or another, in Columbia, South Carolina since the 1960's. The flag I am talking about is the flag which is the subject of an on-going boycott undertaken by the NCAA, the NAACP and Black Coaches Association.

The flag you are talking about is the one they put on hats and shorts over at Vineyard Vines...

So, yes I do make lots of crap up, on a variety of ******** topics... but in this case, I think you just missed what exactly we were talking about.

15. snow leopard27

snow leopard27 250+ Posts

Deacon Jones had his football scholarship at South Carolina State revoked for participating in a civil rights protest in 1958.

I find it presumptuous for any orginazation to ask an athlete to risk their scholarship for political reasons, but some do see the larger world beyond sportsl. I fully admit it was a different time then.

16. MaduroUTMB

MaduroUTMB 2,500+ Posts

This "campaign" is in the 95th percentile of retarded, counter-productive, and self injurious. Unless there was some racial motivation for his departure, I don't get this at all.

17. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

uh NO Eyes YOU were talking about the flag at the top of the
    well here is your quote
    "The stars and bars in South Carolina and other southern captials did not make it back up on top of the statehouses until the 1960's as a reaction to the Civil Rights Movement. So it is not accurately an antebellum vestige... It is an anti-civil rights symbol. "

top of the statehouses? you can try to pretend now that you had a clue what the state flag of South Carolina is but no one would believe you
    and you can pretend you really didn't mean that former all confederate states brought back stars and bars.... how did you phrase it. ? Ah yes it was a reaction to the civil rights movement, an anti civil rights synbol BUT then you'd be forced to acknowledge facts.
    1. The flag flying at the top of the statehouse in SC is a blue flag with a palmetto and a crescent moon, nothing to do with the civil war

2 You'd have to acknowledge that the governors and pols in those states were all Democrats so if they were bringing back anti civil rights symbols it would be revealing of the true feelings of the Democrats in power then

OR you could admit you got confused and didn't realize the dust up in SC is NOT about the flag at the top of the statehouse.

18. THEYESOFTXS

THEYESOFTXS 100+ Posts

You are all over the place...

In any event, I think it is pretty clear what flag the "stars and bars" is from my original post...

I dont' think anyone has real big problem with the South Carolina Palmetto Flag.

19. THEYESOFTXS

THEYESOFTXS 100+ Posts

Wait, maybe you misread me...

South Carolina flew the Stars and Bars as well as the Palmetto Flag over theire capital from the 1960's to until recently, when they removed it from the top of the statehouse, but put it up someplace else on the capitla grounds.

Maybe you did not know that they were flying two flags at once for 40 or so years...

I can see the confusion.

But here is the history:

On April 12, 2000, the South Carolina State Senate passed a bill to remove the Confederate flag from the top of the State House dome by a majority vote of 36 to 7. Originally placed there in 1962,[22] "the new bill specified that a more traditional version of the battle flag would be flown in front of the Capitol next to a monument honoring fallen Confederate soldiers." The bill also passed the state's House of Representatives, but not without some difficulty. On May 18, 2000, after the bill was modified to ensure that the height of the flag's new pole would be 30 feet (9 m), it was passed by a majority of 66 to 43. Governor Jim Hodges signed the bill into law five days later after it passed the state Senate.

20. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

eyes
    if you are so clear on what the flag at the top of the SC statehouse( your words) is please tell us
    and also link to where SC changed their state flag on the 60's as an anti civil rights symbol( again your words)

21. THEYESOFTXS

THEYESOFTXS 100+ Posts

You can use wikipedia or google...

Do you think I am making this stuff up?

What are you confused about?

Actually, don't answer that... Nevermind.

22. THEYESOFTXS

THEYESOFTXS 100+ Posts

23. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

Call me a cynic if you like but my guess is that those politicians aren't seriously asking the black jocks to give up their scholarships. They just want to generate a little publicity to irritate and embarass the whites who let this black/white disparity continue.

If they were serious, why not ask the black library attendants to quit their jobs? Let the lazy white kids get their own books!!

Not likely, eh? Publicity stunt.

Looks like it worked.

24. converse

converse 250+ Posts

People sure get worked up about something that has around zero impact on their life. If you were someone who cared about having people in your community heard, wouldn't you speak up in a way that you think might either make a difference or, at least, bring attention to the issue?

If I were part of a group that represented 28% of a state's population, I might be a little disturbed if the state's flagship university did not include a single person from my group. I might even want to bring some pressure to bear on the folks making the decision to exclude my group. (and, let's not pretend that selection of board members is color blind and there just happens to be no qualified candidates that are black).

Just can't understand why the S.C. flag and the Ol' Miss mascot gets people with absolutely no connection to either place so upset.