SA hotels

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by Jeevsie, Jun 12, 2007.

1. Jeevsie

Jeevsie 100+ Posts

Looking at two:

Drury Plaza and Riverwalk Vista. Any experiences you can share?

2. badexcuse

badexcuse 1,000+ Posts

Don't know about those two - I prefer the older, classic hotels - St Anthony and Menger. The later made famous by Teddy Roosevelt as the place he recruited The Roughriders.

3. LongLiveBevo

LongLiveBevo 250+ Posts

Second the Menger. It's haunted. I like the Crockett and the Emily Morgan too. Also haunted. Regardless of that they are all beautiful historic hotels close to the Alamo and Riverwalk.

4. blkshoes

blkshoes 100+ Posts

the menger and gunther should be in same price range, and might be better locations. certainly better hotels. what are your plans? do you intend on staying on ther riverwalk the whole time?

5. MustangOrange

MustangOrange 100+ Posts

We recently stayed at the St. Anthony for a wedding and the service was horrible!! The room was really small and cramped, as was the bathroom. None of the exercise equipment worked in their gym. The valets were atrocious and told me they couldn't get my car because they were too busy - this happened at least three times.

I thought it was supposed to be a really nice hotel, but I will never stay there again. Westin on the Riverwalk or La Cantera is where it's at.

6. midtown

midtown 1,000+ Posts

The Watermark is getting some very good reviews.

7. SA_Town_Horn

SA_Town_Horn 500+ Posts

Depends where you are staying. If you are staying downtown and are looking for some place really bad *** (i.e. $200+ per night), I'd recommend Hotel Valencia or the Westin downtown.

If you wanna stay downtown and want something cheaper, I like Homewood Suties. Our company has functions there and they are very nice.

If you wanna stay outside of downtown, I'd second the Westin at La Cantera.

8. alxhorns

alxhorns 100+ Posts

9. UTEE

UTEE 1,000+ Posts

I always stay at the Menger. I love that hotel.

10. ScoPro

ScoPro 1,000+ Posts

We stayed at the Menger several years ago - the antique double bed was cramped & squeaky.

Have stayed at the Drury Inn on the RW twice...it was very comfortable both times. During our Alamo Bowl stay, we had a room w/balcony overlooking the Mexican Manhattan across the river.
    Good accesss to the TW and a decent free breakfast.

11. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

I stay at the Gunther and have never been disappointed. Prefer the older hotels and "the charm" that comes with them.

I do not enjoy staying at cookie cutter modern hotels, where, yes, the comforts and service may technically be better, but you might as well be staying in AnyHotelUSA.

Depends on your preference. If you were staying in Austin, would you prefer the Four Seasons or the San Jose?