Saban is real.....

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by 22Horn, Aug 9, 2019.

1. 22Horn

22Horn 500+ Posts

now after winning many games vs non power 5 teams, he is suddenly hearing the negatives on not playing better teams....I'm guessing Dabo must be 'irritating' him as well as what other conferences and teams are saying are saying......is it finally catching up to him after success based on playing / winning teams that do not have the same standards

• WTF? WTF? x 1
  2. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

If I understand what you're trying to convey, you are looking for a Joe Paterno, who has 80+% of his wins over cupcakes.

The schedule is made by the AD for financial reasons, not by the HC.

Saban is like Bobby Bowden, schedule em anywhere, anytime, we'll show up and win. He is the best

:hookem2:

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

Well the SEC schedule is structured so they all play a "no chance for loss" team late in the season to preserve the SEC schools win loss record and give starters rest. To me it's chickenshit.
    I believe the coach has definite Input on who they play. But Saban is the best coach.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. NorfolkVATiger

NorfolkVATiger 100+ Posts

Saban has been advocating for P5 playing P5 only for some time now. It didn't just start this year.

5. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

The standard now should be no more than 1 Group of 5 games per season and never an FCS team. Saban could have stopped it the day he signed his first contract by specifying what conferences Alabama could play (which would have been adjusted for the realignments). Not enough Power 5 opponents - have the ACC and $EC play 9 Conference games.

The other issue is the $EC should rotate divisional play so that no more than 2 years between intra-divisional teams playing each other. The fact that this season will be the first time aggy plays Georgia shows just how the $EC cooks the books.

6. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

While SOME coaches might have a say in how scheduling is done, the reality is that MOST contracts are signed before a current coach was on the horizon. Obviously some exceptions exist where you have tenured coaches (like Saban), but even schools like Texas have some of the OOC games set close to a decade out...or longer as in the case of our home and home in 2032 and 2033 with Arizona State.

7. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I had no idea

8. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

That’s why the people that hired him the first time thought they could get him back.

Besides, Terry loved living at The Country Club. In fact, I believe it is her favorite place they’ve lived, keeping in mind those lake houses and Boca are for visiting, not staying.

9. NorfolkVATiger

Other way around from what I heard. Supposedly Saban reached out to LSU about coming back while he was at Miami.

But what was LSU suppose to do - fire a guy that had won 11 games a year every year (up to that point) in order to hire back Saban? That would have been impossible to sell.

10. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Sorry or the understanding. They thought they could get him back 5-6 years ago, the Bad Hatter left and every time Baton Rouge $$$ gets pissed at Orgeron, which has been at least twice a week since he arrived.

Saban did not reach out to LSU when he was in Miami. Alabama went after him and that deal was cut in June before he resigned the following December or January.

11. NorfolkVATiger

Bama tried to sign Rich Rodriquez much later in the year than June, had a verbal agreeement with him that he backed out of at the last minute. That doesn't happen if Bama has a deal in place with Saban since June.

https://www.al.com/alabamafootball/2016/12/looking_back_at_what_really_ha.html

Pretty sure Skip Bertman said that Saban reached out to him and he said no, but don't have time right now to find a reference.

12. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

RichRod might have been a cover, but I had lunch with the two guys that wrote the checks at Felix' in Mobile in late June and they told me what they'd done. Neither was named Mal-fee-cents Moore, who had no input and no clue until he was told what to do.