Sad day in Cowboys history.......

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by LousianaHorn, Feb 28, 2023.

1. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

Feb 25 1989.............other than the 4 years of Jimmy and the few of Switzer winning with Jimmy's players they have sucked.............Jones is a classless Arkansas hillbilly!

[​IMG]

• Agree Agree x 5
  2. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

Many fans thought that the game had passed Tom by, and it was time for a change. Jerry certainly could have handled it better - for example, he could have "promoted" Tom to a front office job instead of canning him in the newspaper. No doubt Jimmy Johnson pulled the team out of the doldrums and delivered big time - too bad Jerry's ego got in the way.

• Winner Winner x 2
    Last edited: May 5, 2023
  3. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Funny, I don’t remember where I was when I heard about Landry, but I remember exactly where I was when I heard that POS Switzer was hired.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

^When I heard that Jerry had "parted ways" with Jimmy and brought in Barry, I threw my Cowboys gear away. To this day I don't have a single piece of Dallas Cowboys gear - no t-shirts, no ballcaps, no pennants. And I don't intend to buy anything.

• Agree Agree x 5
  5. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I stopped watching the NFL altogether that day.

• Like Like x 1
  6. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

"I stopped watching the NFL."

"Airplane!" joke...

7. 1sahorn

1sahorn 1,000+ Posts

I, too, hated the way Landry was treated...cut off the Cowboy end of my table & broke all my Cowboy plates; but continued watching NFL until Bud Adams pulled the Oilers out of Houston. That did it for me. I'm now a casual (VERY) observer...couldn't name 10 players in the league who are NOT Longhorns.

• Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2023
  8. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Jerry learned fairly quickly that circling the wagons was the Cowboys way. He was far too friendly with the media. They're the ones who let Jerry know that Tom was out golfing at Lakeway. Bum Bright offered to deal with Tom, but Jerry didn't want to come across as a coward.

9. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

I hate to take a shot at a man I greatly admire, but Tom Landry never had a problem jettisoning a long time high performer if he had a better or cheaper replacement lined up.

10. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

He would cut them but was there for them as a person or mentor. Thomas henderson and others can vouch

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. STHAustin

STHAustin 250+ Posts

The first Cowboy game I watched was the Ice Bowl--I was 10 years old. I continued to watch them faithfully until the day Jones replaced Landry with Jimmy Johnson. I haven't watched them since. I learned there other things I could do on Sunday afternoon/evening.

12. 1sahorn

1sahorn 1,000+ Posts

I was a Cowboy fan from season 1 until the Oilers drafted a young running back out of Texas...let's see...what was his name??? I remember he wore #20 at UT & #34 at Houston...what WAS his name??? But I still liked the Cowboys until Jerrah bought the team & fired Landry. It didn't so much bother me THAT Jerrah fired him. My favorite NFL coach, Bum Phillips always said, "They's 2 kinda coaches in the NFL...them that's fired, & them that's ABOUT to be fired". Didn't so much bother me THAT Landry was fired, but HOW he was fired. Never cared much for the Cowboys since.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  13. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

1sa,

If you are not aware, your favorite NFL coach NEVER won a championship at any level. Closest he came was in 1956 in a rain storm on his home field in Nederland against Coach Bill Ellington (later Texas freshmen coach and then AD). Garland beat Nederland 3-0 in spite of having the ball inside Garland's 20 multiple times.

14. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Thank you for the reminder! :yippee:

15. 1sahorn

1sahorn 1,000+ Posts

I'm aware. I loved his wit. He reminded me a lot of Spike Dykes who was one of my favorites even though he was a burr under our saddle.

I don't measure favorites by # of trophies. Belichick has a room full but he is FAR down my list of favorites.

16. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Wish I had known you liked Spike that much. Spike used to come to our games with T & Phyllis Jones, which meant he had to put up with "visiting" with me. When Mrs Dykes got too sick to attend, Rick would frequently come with his dad. Then one game, Rick came alone to deliver a special message from his Dad. I shall cherish that moment and message til they "plant" me.

I have posted before that Coach Landry asked Bum to come to Dallas and install his numbers defense for the Cowboys to use against the Packers. This was 63 or 64 season. Cowboys were just getting good but Packers had been. Bum spent the week in Dallas and the Packers had trouble with his defense to the extent of hanging 40+ points on Dallas.

17. 1sahorn

1sahorn 1,000+ Posts

I lived in Lubbock during the Spike years. I was PISSED when tceh fired him...but that's tceh. The only good thing about tceh firing him was that he was tceh's winningest coach against UT. I didn't know him personally, but I always though very highly of him.

Bum...I appreciated that he (& Earl) took a crappy but scrappy Oiler team & made them contenders. & I loved his sense of humor.

18. 1sahorn

1sahorn 1,000+ Posts

There's a reason the Packers hung 40+ on the Cowboys...they were NFL championship good. Cowboys weren't the only team the Lumbardi Packers hammered.

• Winner Winner x 1
  19. STHAustin

STHAustin 250+ Posts

I sat next to Spike Dykes on an airplane from Austin to Dallas once. He was very friendly--we worked a crossword puzzle together. I also remember hearing him in an interview when he was at Tech. When asked what he missed about Austin, he replied "that would have to be El Patio Mexican food". What's not to like about a man like that?

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Anybody SabreHorn lets sit next to him at DKR is ALL RIGHT with me.

• Funny Funny x 1
  21. 1sahorn

1sahorn 1,000+ Posts

For those who don't know, Spike was an assistant coach for DKR before heading to Lubbuttock.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  22. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

A little Dykes trivia.

Born in Lubbock - raised in Ballinger where he played HS ball. Got a scholarship and played Center for Stephen F. Austin.

• Like Like x 3
  23. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

My old man worked with Spike when he (Spike) was a HS coach in Alice. The old man coached tennis and helped out with subvarsity fb teams.

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  24. longhornlegend

longhornlegend 1,000+ Posts

Spike was a class act. I never saw anything but honor and respect from him. In high school coaching, he was in an elite class. He took mostly not so great kids and molded a team. Not as easy to do in college but he still won. His greatest line ever was a speech before Tech played Texas. He told his tech team there are 2 animals involved in breakfast, the chicken and the pig. He said only one of them was truly committed and he wanted that kind of commitment for their Texas game. World class statement!!!

• Like Like x 1