Sad Reality....

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by KBBAKER, Sep 12, 2021.

1. KBBAKER

KBBAKER 500+ Posts

The sad reality is that whether you're in the Card camp, or the Thompson camp, neither one is that great. They're certainly not "dynamic". Still can't believe a kid like Ewers wouldn't want to come here and be an immediate 3-4 year starter. I guess he didn't want to be killed behind our offensive line. Probably a smart observation. That being said, since the current OL is a disaster, Thompson's running ability is the only thing that will keep defenses honest. Sark needs to recruit 2 QB's and a 25 OL's this next cycle!

2. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

With anything approaching decent protection, Card is dynamic.

• Agree Agree x 3
  3. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

Ewers would be running for his life here based on our current OL play. I have been and continue to be frustrated with our lack of OL recruiting.

• Agree Agree x 4
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2021
  4. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

I always felt like the talent on this team was overhyphed, now we know it. TH recruited sprinkles of talent, but it wasn't balanced, just like Mack's classes when things turned south.

When a true freshman makes the 2-deep on OL you know there's a problem. Our OL starters have bigger beer guts than John Candy. The sad reality is Sark isn't recruiting the OL well either. You would think some of them would see the opportunity of immediate playing time vs going to Bama/OSU and sitting behind someone for 3 years.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  5. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

Two games in is not a good barometer of what the team can or will be

patience

• Agree Agree x 8
    • Like Like x 5
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  6. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

Grasshopper

• Funny Funny x 3
  7. huisache

huisache 2,500+ Posts

Next year our second game of the season is Alabama

let’s be patient and treat this season as prep for next year

8. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Too often it seemed as though Card is afraid to tuck it and run...while I don't always want to see our QB's running, sometimes eight yards of green is better than the incompletion because you are looking for a deep ball...

• Agree Agree x 4
  9. TexasFight86

TexasFight86 250+ Posts

It's interesting to me to see how the lost QB commitments will perform over the long haul -
    Jalen Milroe, J'aQuinden Jackson, Ewers

• Like Like x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  10. RTM4

RTM4 25+ Posts

This right here. There sure was a bunch of floppy flab jiggling out there last night.
    Looked slow, didn't seem to able to fire off and hit anyone. Got pushed around if they actually did make contact.

Another long year ahead.

• Agree Agree x 2
  11. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

It may not be what you want, but taking what the defense gives you is a lot better than an incompletion or sack. That's what Casey did and he moved the ball up and down the field. Hudson's TD was on a really short field after a TO.

• Agree Agree x 3
  12. Desperado

Desperado 1,000+ Posts

Can we postpone this beat down?

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  13. BornOrange0855

BornOrange0855 250+ Posts

The reality is we are a national embarrassment. Only saving grace is that the rest of the country already sees us as that. No one takes us seriously. Why the opposition considers it such a resounding victory when they beat us is a mystery to me. We're an empty suit.

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

I don't know that CT could have done any better in the beginning.
    Remember he came in against a defense that had played 3 quarters and had to be a little slower than what Card saw ist quarter.

• Hot Hot x 1
  15. TexasFight86

TexasFight86 250+ Posts

Unless it's Tommy Brockermeyer. But at Bama, he's not even on the depth chart at spot 3 or 4. Is listed on the roster.

16. TexasFight86

TexasFight86 250+ Posts

Did Card ever check down to a TE? I don't remember if he did.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  17. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

We can hope for a covid surge.

• Funny Funny x 1
  18. BornOrange0855

BornOrange0855 250+ Posts

Yes. And the TE dropped the pass. I'm sooooo surprised.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Which I think is about what I said...

20. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

The other disappointment was how many times on our third-and-Florida lines of scrimmage, the play looked like we had somehow snuck GDGD into the coaching box...

21. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Yep, and they’re all pissed about us skipping out on them. That plus the SEC probably now say yeah, bring us Texas. Ugh

22. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

After a decade, my patience is getting thin.

After last night, I am on the volleyball train,
    they seem to give a damn and play with emotion.

• Agree Agree x 1
  23. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

If they watched us most of the last 10 years they were saying this already.

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. erbutch

erbutch 500+ Posts

Well lets face it. The aggies,bama,and ou have outrecruited us at the offensive line,Defensive line,linebacker for years.It has haunted us for 10 years. We fill up on receivers and d backs and say we have a great class. We need a balanced class. How many o line on the 22 class that are in the top 100? New coaches dont seem to be the answer. Maybe we need players with an attitude for football. I know we are now berkely of austin but can we have football players that dont have that attitude?

• Hot Hot x 1
  25. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

Now you are hitting near something I have very unpopularily said times before. I am not going to overreact to one game early in a new regimes tenure/efforts....but will again state I fear we have a culture problem...and one that, regardless of what many believe here, goes beyond coaching/AD/etc.

26. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Worn down after hardly being on the field for 3 qts?? If they were worn down at that point their S&C coach is a lot worse than ours.

The only thing that was worn down was our fat, out of shape OL. Apparently they've been eating dinner with Mark Mangino at the Golden Corral the last few months when they should've been running wind sprints and doing core strengthening exercises.

• Agree Agree x 2
  27. erbutch

erbutch 500+ Posts

We use to have smash mouth players,now they stand around when the qb is knocked down. No attitude beside woke. As much as I hate it the aggies have taken that culture from us. They are now the smash mouth team in Texas. They were down all game against colorado and never gave up and won the game. Texas gave up against ark. It was not just card. Recievers dropped balls.no blocking ,no attitude.I suffered in the stands in the 80s and 90s with bad coaching but the players still seemed to hate losing. Doesnt seem to be the case anynore.

• Like Like x 1
  28. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

While you may be correct, how would we know? For example, with respect to Thompson, have we seen a poor performance yet? Or even a “just average” performance? We have not. In the Alamo Bowl, he was stellar. Last night, he was very effective.

I’d like to see what he can do before we conclude that he doesn’t have the skill set to be a very good QB for this team.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  29. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

I didn't say worn down.
    I said slower.

• Funny Funny x 1
  30. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

What slowed them down, It was not our OL.

Must have been slowed by running sprints into our offensive backfield. We had so many 3 and outs to boot.

• Funny Funny x 6