Sam Ehlinger debut

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by HTownBevo, Sep 6, 2017.

1. HTownBevo

HTownBevo 250+ Posts

New dawn Saturday
    Dual threat QB-Bevo like
    Advantage Longhorns

• Like Like x 2
  2. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

We knew he was going to see the field this year so I guess this is as close to 'ideal' circumstances as it's going to get. If we can't run all over SJSU with the occasional high % pass (Hi Maryland) then lord help us anyways.

• Like Like x 4
  3. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Texas is pissed off
    Who to take out anger on
    How 'bout S J State

• Like Like x 3
  4. LtSwtCrude

LtSwtCrude Guest

I'd really like to see the kid do well. For one thing, we went too many years a while back without an understudy getting playing time. It was nothing or starting.

5. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I hope like hell he has progressed a lot since the Spring game.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Herman said if Shane could go, he'd start. Not so sure this is the start of the Ehlinger era just yet. He will undoubtedly get some playing time, even if Shane starts.

• Like Like x 1
  7. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Beck said Heard is getting almost no reps in practice.
    Sounds to me like they are counting on Shane starting.

• Like Like x 1
  8. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Chiles should start.

• Like Like x 5
  9. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I am not sure what I am going to do if we lose this game
    Maybe go to the gun range

• Like Like x 5
  10. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

I wish there was some way to redshirt Sam Ehlinger. He is not ready and I do not want to see him end up like David Ash.

• Like Like x 2
  11. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

If we lose THIS game I might go postal !!! :brickwall:

12. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Unfortunately, I am at a point where this would no longer shock me. I would go about my business.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

The next two games will tell us what this staff is made of.

• Like Like x 5
  14. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

You know they don't let you borrow the guns, right? You have to stay on the range to shoot anything.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

16. Olehornfan

Olehornfan 2,500+ Posts

At the spring game I thought Sam did well when he had time to throw. A lot of the time he was playing two offense vs one defense.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Man this board....err human nature I guess.....never changes. I remember all the hand wringing like this when Mack was winning 10-11 games a year. We would lose a game and everyone would question the QB, RB, Coaches, etc.....we're going to lose the rest of our games....etc, etc, etc.

I say we give TH the benefit of the doubt and let him coach the next three or four games before we collectively hike to the top of the tower and jump.

With that said, after the coin dropped on the USC game already, if you're flying back to Austin at 6:15am Monday the 18th on Southwest please evaluate your flight choices because I may crash the plane if we lose by 30+ points.

• Like Like x 5
  18. LtSwtCrude

LtSwtCrude Guest

From Hook'em
    https://www.hookem.com/football-new...chele-rests-sam-ehlinger-preps-san-jose-state
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Few players can miss major game-plan installation during the week and still start on Saturdays. Texas will lighten up on Thursday and Friday to get ready for this week’s game. “Hard to look into the future,” Beck said.

So it would appear that Ehlinger could start. After all, wouldn’t Texas be better served by resting Buechele against a 28-point underdog and saving him for next week’s game at USC and the Big 12 schedule anyway?

“Sam’s a competitor, let’s start there,” Beck said after Wednesday’s practice. “He’s going to do everything in his power that if we need him to play on Saturday, he’ll be ready. The way I look at him and what he has done, he has done nothing but improve since the first day he walked in these doors.”

Defensive coordinator Todd Orlando said Tuesday’s practice was “was as good as we’ve had around here.”

“Sam is a scrappy dude,” Orlando said. “I love everything about him. Straight A student. If I could play him at linebacker, I would play him at linebacker. Now, I’m sure he would want to play linebacker, that’s what kind of dude he is.”

19. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

Tom Herman's binder
    Says "Go For It" every time
    When QB is Sam

• Like Like x 2
  20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

He's got binders full of Sams

21. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

If Sam has to play; then he has to play. If Herman thinks Sam offers the best chance to win a game then Herman has no idea what he is up against. USC might eat Shane alive; but USC will eat Sam alive. If Shane doesn't play and Sam is hurt Heard goes in, but who is #2 QB at that point. Any JUCO QB who Herman could have brought in would be better than that guy.

22. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I'm missing the connection. Lack of redshirt caused Ash to get concussions?

23. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

True freshmen that were not ready to play, needed time to learn and got banged up.

Ash was not ready to play and I think had he not played until his junior year, he would have been pretty good instead of him getting banged up while he was not ready.

Also, players gain size and strength their first year of being on a college diet plan/weight program (compare freshman colt to senior colt), so yes, QBs are less likely to get as badly banged up if they redshirt a year.

The redshirt year seemed to produce better results for Vince Young, Colt McCoy and Johnny Manziel than true freshman David Ash and now a banged up Buechele.

I do not think true freshman QBs should play unless they are the rare exception that is ready to play. Buechele was ready to play, but he is already getting banged up. Ehlinger did not look ready in the spring game. We'll find out Saturday.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2017
  24. Detective Shilala

Read option right, left
    Then Collin Johnson deep post
    Sam channels Vince Young

• Like Like x 1
  25. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Not that Herman would ever call one, but can Sam throw a fade? Never called one on Saturday and we have a 6'6' and a 6'5" WR.

• Like Like x 5
  26. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

This^^^

• Like Like x 1
  27. Detective Shilala

Sam can throw the fade
    the post, out, cross, slant, and go
    10 yard minimum

• Like Like x 1
  28. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

29. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I have complete confidence in Sam. Yes he can make all those throws. Didn't he go thru the whole season without throwing one interception in high school. That accomplishment had to be done with touch and accuracy. It doesn't scare me that he is a true freshman. Let's remember he got a lot of experience in spring ball. I am more scared of Herman's coaching decisions and offensive line play than Sam's upcoming performance. I think we are going to enjoy seeing Sam play. I feel like we are going to move the ball with those 18-wheeler runs with occasional passes to keep the defense guessing. But i don't think the game is going to be a blowout. Our defense just stinks.:cursing2:

30. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

I like Sam and certainly wish him the best but I'd like to see Heard get lots of snaps in a Wild Horn offense. We've forgotten just how well he can run.

• Like Like x 4