Sam Ehlinger hasn't gotten any better since his sophomore year

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by AustinHorn24, Nov 27, 2020.

1. AustinHorn24

AustinHorn24 250+ Posts

His freshman year he showed a lot of spark but he made 4 bonehead interceptions that cost us games.

Then his sophomore year all of those bonehead plays disappeared and he became a lot more efficient as a QB.

Since then, he's just the same guy. He has made zero improvement since his sophomore year. QBs that are at good power 5 conference schools are supposed to show at least some improvement, especially those that stay at a program for 4 years.

It's not that he's a bad QB, he's actually pretty good. But to quote Proximo: "You're good, Spaniard..... but you're not that good. You could be magnificent!"

Ehlinger has never become magnificent which is a shame considering how much improved from year 1 to year 2.

I have no doubt that Ehlinger is going to come back next year too. He knows he's not a good NFL prospect and he's the most loyal player to UT that we've had since Colt McCoy.

• Like Like x 2
    • Hot Hot x 1
  2. n64ra

n64ra 1,000+ Posts

and that's a coaching problem

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

He has both a weak arm and suffers from accuracy issues. It's unfair to compare him to Colt and VY, both of whom had notoriously weak throws, but they made up for it in a myriad of other ways.

• poop poop x 2
  4. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

I’ll tell what what “hasn’t gotten better”
    A small percentage of @fans@
    I saw the same garbage about lack of perceived talent from “fans” who couldn’t hit a 10 yard out pattern with no rush coming at them.
    VY, Colt and now Sam. Same absolute garbage.
    Enough.
    Austin24 Worry more about ensuring that when I order a burger without onions, you leave the onions off before you put in in my bag with the supersized fries.
    Get that right and then we can talk about lack of perceived talent on your part from when you started.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2020
  5. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

I posted on here a couple of years back that Sam made better reads in HS than in Memorial Stadium. That is a coaching issue because there is no way the kid lost everything he learned from Todd by driving the 4-5 miles to Memorial Stadium. Only possible explanation was change in coaching, which should now be believable to anyone following Texas football.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

I don't expect players to know how to fly an Airbus, but they can probably tell a ****** landing when they feel one. So, I feel I don't have to approach criticizing Texas from the authority argument.

I beat myself up over what I think are crappy landings, by the way. It doesn't seem this team or coach do the same when they lose. Maybe I'm wrong.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  7. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

AustinHorn24 should be a sponsor with all of that knowledge and wisdom.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

I’m not a pilot, but I fly a lot. I know a good landing versus a bad one. I’m usually up front and the stewards faces give the rating.

• Like Like x 2
  9. horninchicago

Yep. I'm not a chef, either, but I know crap food. And on and on. I know crap football when I see it and lack of effort.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

I once landed at Hobby on a rough landing. The stewardess said,”Welcome to Houston and congratulations to our pilot on his first landing!”

The pilot came on and said,”I echo her welcome to Houston on her LAST flight with our airline.”

• Funny Funny x 7
  11. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

that and piss poor o line recruiting!

12. Hoop

Hoop 500+ Posts

Posting from the original title and not reading the posts (sorry, lazy). He's gotten better for sure. He's not Colt or VY as far as history is concerned, but it's certainly not a question of heart or will on his part.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Hot Hot x 1
  13. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Like the old pilots used to tell me, “any landing you walk away from is a good landing.”

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

or "you are good as long as the number of landings matches the number of take-offs"

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. horninchicago

Most of us have more landings than takeoffs. :cool:

16. majorfan2005

majorfan2005 100+ Posts

The problems with Sam are the following:

1. Always takes a sack or runs for yardage if he decides not to throw. I think he does this so his stats don’t show incompletions. This is unacceptable.

2. He holds the ball way too long most of the time. There is none of the aggressive quick hit nature that you see in a spread offense attack.

3. He’s either never been taught or fails to grasp what Colt clearly knew: It’s the qb’s job to move the chains by making the right decisions. When you watched Colt, you knew he owned it. Sam is trying, but he doesn’t accept responsibility for it.

17. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Hard to use quick hit timing routes with receivers that have so much trouble running the correctvroute. Ask Garrett Gilbertt

18. majorfan2005

majorfan2005 100+ Posts

Garrett Gilbert couldn’t hit the broad-side of a barn.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • poop poop x 2
  19. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Just when I thought I had seen it all.
    Please restore my faith in humanity by answering the following
    A. I am 10
    B . I am an Aggie
    C. I live in Norman
    D. All of the above

This might be the worst post I’ve seen on the forum since someone posted he liked kitty litter.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. majorfan2005

majorfan2005 100+ Posts

The runs are great. The sacks are a killer. He needs to evaluate the likelihood of sack and throw those away. I’m not 10 and not an Aggie and I don’t live in Norman. I also have not said anything disrespectful to you :).

21. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

I admit that I find it unusual for someone to place judgement on amateur athletes. You wanna disrespect well paid coaches or admins- you will never hear a comment from me.

Make no bones about it my friend I was absolutely saying disrespectful things to you- you chose to disrespect a young man that consistently put it on the line with comments like that?

“I think he does this so his stats don’t show incompletions. This is unacceptable” oh really? Let me make sure my understanding Sam is scrambling just so he doesn’t have an incomplete pass that might hurt his stats and getting the **** beat out of him is that what you’re saying?

He doesn’t get rid of the ball on time??methinks an OC job might be opening up in Austin- please apply. Ever occur to you ISU was dropping 8 in coverage?

And my favorite of yours that lead me to the multiple choice ques..
    “ Sam is trying, but he doesn’t accept responsibility for it.”, dude this one unbelievably topped the two other comments leading me to below this guys is 10, an Aggie, lives in Norman or all 3. Now that would give credence to your comments. Sam is THE example of a leader who takes responsibility, even when it’s not his responsibility to take.

I’ll take you at your word that none of the multiple-choice questions were valid. I’m still struggling- could I add an E choice?
    E. I know nothing about football.

22. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

You're right Garrett Gilbert could not hit the broadside of a barn when the barn moves ten miles away.

I’m no Gilbert fan, but neither am I a fan of people who blame a QB for dumbass WRs that run the wrong routes because they are too damn dumb or lazy to READ routes particularly on timing throws. We had them under Mack Brown, Charlie Strong, and now Tom Herman. I sat in the Rose Bowl and watched two horrendous examples. We now have a “fan favorite” who thinks it’s sandlot football. He’s out of position more often than a fat lady in the circus.

So blame all that on the QBs, certainly not our precious coaching staff.

• Like Like x 1
  23. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

NR,

Just a nonsensical troll making sure to keep everyone’s blood pressure up after yesterday

:hookem2:

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  24. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Sabre-if so- I retract my statements.
    Dude got me. I usually sniff them out.... but I see you might be right. Just noticed 25 posts from this cat.
    Well played Majorfan05- hats off

25. majorfan2005

majorfan2005 100+ Posts

I didn’t disrespect Sam. I just said he isn’t perfect. You have acted childishly and with exaggeration. The fault of this season doesn’t lie with Sam, but Sam isn’t perfect.

If they were dropping 8 in coverage every time, Sam should’ve lit them up every time by running straight downfield. I don’t blame him for scrambling. When it ain’t there, the ball needs to get thrown away.
    I’ve been busy since Herman took over and I gave him a pass. He’s had his honeymoon. I’m now pissed.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

You did disrespect Sam. You did not merely assert that he wasn't perfect. You opined that he was deliberately making selfish decisions for his own stats at the expense of the team.

• Agree Agree x 2
  27. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Hmmmm, yet if he scrambles then I reckon he’s just preserving his passing percentage or he should have scrambled?
    Ok you just answered E.

28. majorfan2005

majorfan2005 100+ Posts

That’s because it was either that or say he didn’t know any better. I think he’s smart enough to know better. We are all imperfect. I point out ways he could improve. If he doesn’t want to listen or you don’t want to listen. It’s on you. I also said I think, rather than I know.

29. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Ok Cool, Hook em.

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. MajesticII

MajesticII 1,000+ Posts

#1 problem with Sam.....
    He is too slow. He is not a real threat to really hurt you with his legs like QBs like Murray types or others..Because of this, teams like ISU can drop 8 and rush 3. So what if Sam scrabbles for 6,8,10, or even on a chance he runs for 20....No problem. They live for another series to stop us. You put a guy like J. Jackson at QB and drop 8 and rush 3.......Damn good chance you might be getting the ball after we kick off to you...