Sam not right last night

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by HTownBevo, Nov 25, 2017.

1. HTownBevo

HTownBevo 250+ Posts

Sam imo is suffering from head issues. He did not look right last night. His decisions were delayed, example the pass he caught would have been for 6 - but he was too slow getting into the route. Some delay is necessary to sell the play, but his break was too slow. That timing is a Football IQ thing, and what Sam typically excels at. Don't recall specifically others, but it seemed obvious last night. Was surprised when Shane did not enter to start 2nd half or some point afterwards. He seemed to digress from a week ago. I would shut him down and let Shane have the Bowl game.

On another topic, a new OC is a must for this team to take next step.

• Like Like x 1
  2. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

I still think both QBs should play more in each game. Whether it's his head or the physical fatigue from the body blows when he's really only 18 years old, Sam makes a lot of boneheaded mistakes late in the game.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

This probably was one of the better games for Shane as our OL did a decent job pass-blocking.

I'm not as worried about Sam's passing as some. True freshman. Remember redshirt freshman VY was a pretty inconsistent passer, and threw more picks than TDs despite having Roy Williams, BJ Johnson, Sloan Thomas, Bo Scaife, and David Thomas running routes.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

Sam isn't Vince, though. With Vince you could see he was something very, very special the moment you saw him. I've never gotten that vibe with Sam.

He threw the dumbest pick I ever saw in the ou game, topped that last week vs Wva, then threw the game away last night. I hope he "learns from these mistakes" as I keep hearing but I have serious doubts. The track record is there. Some of these picks are of the seventh grade variety.

If Boo isn't the guy for our offense, then the qb of our future isn't on campus yet. None of it matters if the OL situation isn't rectified, though

5. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Well sure, Sam is nowhere near the runner VY was.

6. Horn2RunAgain

Horn2RunAgain 2,500+ Posts

Yes sir, but he had that something special about him overall. He also could throw a pretty, accurate, deep ball. The potential for improvement in the passing game was there

More than anything, VY had the so called "it" ESPN play by play guys try to tag Sam with. Sam doesn't have "it" yet. I hope he finds it, but the only IT I've seen is turnovers

7. Buck-Horn

Buck-Horn Guest

I agree with the OP. Sam was clearly “not right” last night....and several other games as well....and I’m not referring to his health. We do not have the “right” QB on this roster. I went to the game last night.....the most miserable football experience at DKR since Route 66. At least with Route 66, we knew UCLA’s talent was a real mismatch for us.....and the POS Mackovic was a lame duck.

What worries me is do we have the “right” coaching staff. If we don’t, old guys like me may never see another championship caliber team EVER. Yea, I know, I’m being super negative. But Herman is a MAJOR disappoint....I give him a D- grade....only those few ‘moral’ victories kept this from being an F. I hope I’m wrong, but I’ve got to think there are many average college coaches who could have gotten better results. And I’m tired of the ‘lack of talent’ excuse....if you’re good enough to get a football scholarship to UT, then you must have enough talent to compete at a high D1 level.

Ok, somebody talk me off the ledge....

• Like Like x 2
  8. madcow

madcow 500+ Posts

Game losing decisions? That's what I've witnessed. Rising or Thompson (I know another year playing true frosh) has to be the answer cuz neither Sam or Shane is. I would have given Shane a shot in the second half but I haven't seen anything from him that makes me think it would have ended differently.

• Like Like x 1
  9. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

I'm right there with you Buck. I'm getting pretty long in the tooth as well.

Let me see if I can make you feel better. All of these things could happen:

1. Malik, Holton, Deshon, Omenihu leave for the NFL to add to the loss of Poona and Nashon.
    2. Orlando gets a head coaching gig. With all the vacancies this becomes more likely with each passing day.
    3. Because of these two things, the defense regresses.
    4. We're hearing that along with Connor, McMillon and Cuney may graduate and leave. Yet another year with no O-line depth.
    5. No solid info here, but let's suppose that Boo transfers. Another year with a true freshman on the two deep at qb.
    6. Some of commits my get cold feet with our lousy showing this year.

If all these things take place, I'm not sure we make it to 6-6.

There, that should make you feel better. :puke: :brickwall: :angry: :cursing2:

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  10. rick mueller

I second everything you say.

11. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

You forgot pick in OT vs. Okie lite.

:deadhorse:

12. rick mueller

And the OT fumble against USC.

13. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Uh, ya think?

14. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

He wouldn't have thrown a friggin pick. And it's not like we scored anyway in the 2nd half. So yes, I think we do win with Boo last night. The D was good enough. Just don't throw the friggin pick. Just don't. My head exploded last night and if anyone is not thinking clearly it's me. This team gives us all concussions.

• Like Like x 1
  15. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

1) We had open receivers deep that Shane certainly has more skill at hitting in stride than Sam.

2) Shane has better judgement, better at taking care of the ball, avoids turnovers.

Those two things instantly give us real chances of winning the game.

Had Shane had a defense last year to match the defense Orlando has put together, we would have finished at least 7-5.

We finish 7-5 if Shane plays the 2nd half last night, imo.

• Like Like x 4
  16. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Then 6-6 again if Tech plays Shimonek from the get-go, IMO.

17. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Also, Dickson could ditch us for the Big Time.

• Like Like x 2
  18. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

Hill goes 5th round or lower if at all. Omenihu is a free agent. The overrating of the talent on this team knows no bounds.

• Like Like x 2
  19. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

We can't just say "well he didn't look right" when Sam screws up. For whatever reason, any time Sam does something stupid, people immediately say "he must have had a concussion." I don't remember anyone saying that about Gilbert or Heard or Swoopes.

He makes bad decisions when throwing the ball. He's not accurate. He's not getting a lot of help. That's just the reality of the situation.

• Like Like x 3
  20. rick mueller

Not evaluating the talent of said players or any others. In no way shape or form am I qualified to do that (many posters here apparently are, however). I'm merely listing names that are being kicked around in this regard.

21. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

I made the comment on another thread immediately after the game. The thought and said to all the fans around me in the 3rd quarter that I didn't think he was all there. It was the back to back possessions where he rolled out right on 5 of 6 plays and threw the ball deep into the Tech bench. It was like he was looking to get off the field. It also seemed we went 4-5 possessions in the 2nd half without him tucking the ball and running which is Sam's usual go-to panic response. For me it had nothing to do with the boneheaded INT's but more about the decisions in the earlier possessions that made me think he had cobwebs in his head.