Sam Today

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by dukesteer, Aug 15, 2021.

1. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Watched the Colts preseason game which just ended. Aside from an early 2nd half int, Sam was outstanding. Down 8 with 8:00 left, he made two great throws, plus some keepers for some first downs. He also kept for the 2-pointer to tie the game. When they got the ball back he masterfully took them down the field for the winning FG with 11 seconds left.

It’s only the preseason but the Colts and Reich have to be impressed.

• Like Like x 9
  2. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Just watched some highlights. I can sum up this way: Sam's gonna Sam.

• Like Like x 7
  3. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

dukesteer is spot on. Very impressive second half by Sam. Very poised. Clearly still has the "it" factor, even in the pros.

• Like Like x 2
  4. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

What speaks volumes was his putting the interception behind him because it was definitely a poor throw (or poor judgement to throw). In typical Sam fashion he proceeded to come back strong.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

My grandson is sick of me telling him over and over for the last five years that QBs, kickers, & pitchers can have NO memory, ZERO, not even five seconds ago.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  6. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

I understand the message there Sabre but the only thing I qualify about it is you do need to learn from your mistakes.

• Winner Winner x 1
  7. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

• Like Like x 4
  8. LonghornCatholic

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  9. LonghornCatholic

• Like Like x 1
  10. LonghornCatholic

• Like Like x 1
  11. LonghornCatholic

• Like Like x 1
  12. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Nice outing. Looks like he may be just what the Colts needed.

• Like Like x 1
  13. El Sapo

El Sapo Bevo's BFF

That’s what seconds 1-4 are for :hookem:

• Like Like x 2
  14. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I was impressed by Sam's overall performance, in the second half. He ran the team well, executed well and sustained drives. I was impressed with his on-point passing. Also, he played the whole game. Solid first outing for him.

Last edited: Aug 15, 2021
  15. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

Huh?

16. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Yeah, I had a type-o there. That's what I get for listening to NFL updates while typing. My bad....FIFY.

• Like Like x 1
  17. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

I was posting on another thread about this; glad some others were watching. After he had a batted pass and an INT in the first 4 passes, I was concerned. Seems like he adjusted to the speed of the game after that. When Irsay was talking about Sam, he made some vague reference to Joe Montana and Tom Brady--I was thinking, "those are some crazy names for the owner to be throwing around." Not what Eason wants to hear. Or even Wentz.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

That comment made by the owner was in reference to those two being late round draft picks and who knows if Sam would some day be a great player being drafted in the late rounds. He wasn't comparing Sam to those two quarterbacks.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

What you said is exactly right, but for him to say it that way with those names means he personally likes Ehlinger—it’s the kind of hopeful comparison one makes about a “favorite son.” That’s why I said Eason wouldn’t like it, not that anyone would actually realistically compare Sam to two all time greats.

20. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Ah VY but how would college Sam compare to college Montana and Brady?
    That is where we are now

21. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Yet every clip I saw after the game on ESPN or NFL Network talked of Eason's first half and the second half comeback win without even mentioning Sam.

• poop poop x 1
  22. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Good thing for Sam that Colts executives and coaches probably do not take into account the "reporting" done on ESPN or the NFL network when assessing the performance of their players.

23. stanhin

stanhin 5,000+ Posts

Colt's coach said after the game that Eason will start the next game, too, with Sam as backup again. I'm getting the impression that he's being forced to swim upstream and that the coaches want Eason to "win" the competition. Hope I'm wrong.

24. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

While you are correct, that's his father's job. Mine is to keep him built up with a positive attitude.

Sidebar: I have learned a lot from him that I didn't learn coaching my son. Still don't understand how he can face an undefeated team and strike out 15 of 16 batters with no hits & no walks, then come back 3-4 days later and hit the first three kids he faces.

• Like Like x 1
  25. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Hahaha, I completely understand the frustration but as they say “that’s why they play the games”.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

He looks a lot smaller in the NFL than he did in college. He won't be trucking guys nearly as often but it looks like he can still be an effective runner and extend plays with mobility.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Yep.
    He'll be getting his slide on in the NFL.

28. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Sometimes the uniform colors can be deceiving...especially with the Colts having been white on white from the snippets I saw...

We need them to somehow change to Burnt Orange so that Sam's cape is more visible ;)

29. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Unless it was in the last 30 minutes of PFT this morning, not a whisper of Sam (or Buschle).

30. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

Again, I'm not saying they are comparable at all. I went to the game where Montana beat us in the Cotton Bowl--I thought it was dumb luck at the time.

My whole point is that I think that Irsay, by trotting out those names with respect to great QBs who did not get drafted highly, signaled that he sees Ehlinger through very favorable lenses. Thus, the real comparison is between Ehlinger and Eason, which is the competition at hand (not whether Sam is on par with Tom Brady)--and my take is that such comments signal that he favors Sam. That's all!