Sam’s Horn legacy?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by SAMMCHornfan, Oct 10, 2020.

1. SAMMCHornfan

SAMMCHornfan 250+ Posts

What will it be? He is definitely all over the record books. He did well in bowl games. Does it mainly come down to Wins and losses? Where do you put him on the list of all time great UT QBs? I don’t think he fulfilled his destiny. I know the losses aren’t totally on him, but they still go on his record. So, with that said, and unless the horns can pull off some sort of a miracle and win the rest of their games, I would put him just behind Major, IMHO. I will probably get bashed for that one though.

2. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

There is no freaking legacy. He's a good QB with ****** coaching. He hasn't won jack squat. Yes, they won Bowl games against apathetic opponents but no conference titles. So what?

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

He will be remembered as a QB who got to live his boyhood dream and set school records in the process.

• Agree Agree x 6
  4. horninchicago

Love ya, man, but seriously, who cares? He led no Texas team to any meaningful win and will be a nothing burger in the Heisma talk as an extremely experienced senior.

5. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

He is one of the toughest kids I have seen in all my years of watching Texas football but in the pantheon of Texas quarterbacks he isn’t even top 5. Good with moments of greatness but way too many moments of average to mediocre.

6. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

0-4 vs OU and no championships. His career numbers are big because he's a 4 year starter. I love Sam's heart and commitment to the Longhorn nation but I think he's just a good qb on a crappy coached team.

Who knows if he had real college coaching if he could have won a Heisman. Possibly.

7. FWHORN

FWHORN 10,000+ Posts

1-4 against OU not 0-4

8. Vol Horn 4 Life

oh yeah, you're right.

9. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Not saying winning didn't matter, but a lot of people get personal satisfaction in living a dream. He could have moved on if he had wanted.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  10. horninchicago

And, I have a childhood friend who has a son with special needs. Sam was part of a group of players who went to visit him and some other kids in a hospital last year. I commented what a great guy Sam is. So, before anyone flames me, this thread is about his legacy as a Texas QB, not a person. Great person. Average QB.

• Agree Agree x 3
  11. KBBAKER

KBBAKER 500+ Posts

Just like Tony Romo. Great guy. Great teammate. Tons of hollow stats. No championships.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
  12. horninchicago

Sam's Horn legacy is he just got beat as a senior by a freshman.

13. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

Sam had moxy and some nice moments, but not much else.

14. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Uh, isn’t it 1-3 ? His OU record I mean.

15. zuckercanyon

zuckercanyon 2,500+ Posts

HIC, Sam has left it all on the field with an offensive line that really doesn't offer much protection. Regardless, Sam toughs it out and leads the team the entire game. With you, not like Applewhite/Simms/Vince/McCoy, but someone who doesn't have the luxury of the greatest talent around him yet finds ways to keep coming back and playing until the clock is at zero.

• Agree Agree x 3
  16. horninchicago

His legacy is wins and championships. That's all anyone will care about later on. I am not saying he doesn't love Texas and doesn't play hard. His craptastic coaches and supporting teammates have ruined his legacy.

17. Duck Dodgers

Duck Dodgers 1,000+ Posts

Bigger, stronger Major. Zero championships.

Vince
    Street
    Colt
    James Brown (two championships)
    Sam
    Major
    Sims
    Martin Cherry the Gambler!

18. zuckercanyon

Alabama won a national championship with a nothing qb from Southlake Carroll against Texas in 2009. No one thinks he took over the game and won it. Trent Dilfer says hello.

• Agree Agree x 1
  19. horninchicago

Again, I'm not impugning Ehlinger as a talented QB and loyal Longhorn. I'm just discussing his legacy, which is what the thread is about. With crappy coaching and players around him, besides saying he played hard and lives Texas, his "legacy" will not mean much. Think of it this way. Will his legacy build and create a winning program? Doubtful.

20. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

Sam’s legacy was that he was better than Colt but had a bad coach..

21. horninchicago

Going to have to disagree here. I think Colt, hands down, is better than Sam. Accuracy to football acumen, you name it. Maybe not brute force running into defenders, but that's about it.

22. Vol Horn 4 Life

Lost in the conference championship against OU. 1-4.

23. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Yep. And Gardere was 4-0 against OU.

Sam > Gardere.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. Duck Dodgers

Colts completion percentage was the ncaa record till the LSU guy broke it last year. He could make any throw on the field, plus run. Total college football qb package.

• Agree Agree x 3
  25. Vol Horn 4 Life

Incomplete Pete? Yes, Sam is better than IP.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. txhorn_et

txhorn_et 1,000+ Posts

Better than average QB with a terrible offensive line and coaching. Too many offensive coordinators in his time at Texas.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. zuckercanyon

He couldn’t make every throw.

28. Duck Dodgers

Which ones couldn’t he make?

29. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Eric Metcalf

Jaxon Shipley

D'Onta Foreman

30. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

You all are missing an important part of the legacy, which is “Longhorn-ness.” Just like Major Applewhite was for many years, Sam will be beloved around here. He will be more Don Meredith than Tony Romo. Probably will be on LHN if he wants, unless he’s off to make bigger money in business.

• Agree Agree x 3