San Antonio eateries

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by YoLaDu, Jul 21, 2011.

1. YoLaDu

YoLaDu Guest

If you were passing through San Antonio and had to pick one place to eat for dinner, what would it be? Something grade school kids might like at well.

haven't been through SA in about 5 years.

2. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Chris Madrid's for hamburgers. Second would be Chester's for a burger.

If you have a little more time, Mi Tierra or La Margarita are pretty quick and a fun atmosphere.

If you have enough time, plenty of good restaurants along the river walk, which I'm sure the kids would enjoy.

3. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

Hard to argue with Chris Madird's for burgers. Easier to argue with the others. For a LITTLE more upscale I would recommend La Gloria which would let you walk the north stretch of the riverwalk which is pretty cool. For better food, I would go would go with El Mirador over Mi Tierra or La Marguerita anyday. They are all downtown and none are on the river. You can find countless places on the Riverwalk and while it is not really a destination for locals it is a popular area for tourists. You didn't ask for upscale places (and they do exist) so I have only mentioned places that are somewhat unique to SA. There is an asian/mexican woman whose first name is Lisa and her last is maybe Wang or Wong who has a really cool place.

Oh yeah, Rosario's is the name of her place.

4. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Rosario's is indeed really good. I wasn't sure about how the youngster would like it. The main thing to remember is that Rosarios has a menu about 6-8 pages at the original location and condensed down to a couple of pages in the new location. If you don't see it on the menu, ask for it. really good enchiladas, and most people love that pepper stuffed with sea bass, covered in cream sauce. (Can't remember what it's called.)

5. DoobieWah

DoobieWah 500+ Posts

6. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

Yeah, it might be a tad stuffy for kids, but I think it might not be too bad. What do you think, about $80 for two adults and two kids? El Mirador would probably be around $50-60? Chris Madrid's around $35 and Mi Tierra about the same with La Margartita maybe $10 more?

I have virtually no appetite anymore so we don't really go out that much. Silo and the Lodge are at the top of my list, but they would be lost on kids. Paesano's is not a good value and you can get a steak anywhere else that will be interchangeable with any city in Texas.

The Barn Door might be a good fit for homestyle. I don't think they do any texmex. Lots of people like Paloma Blanca, La Fonda and Calesa. For ME? I like greasy texmex about 4 or 5 times a year, but we all have our favorite hole in the wall places that might not be the place to send a passing traveler with kids.

7. pulque

pulque 1,000+ Posts

DeWiesse's TipTop...

8. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

Yo,
    I would second Tip Top Cafe. Honestly, I would to to Casa Rio. I know people will tell you there are much better Mexican food places, and they are probably right. I just have such fond memories of going there as a kid. The history of the place is great, and the Riverwalk is a fun atmosphere for kids. Also, their food isn't too spicy, but something grade school kids would like.

9. CottonEyedHorn

CottonEyedHorn 1,000+ Posts

Just don't do Cha Cha's. I don't get the attraction to this place. Been twice to both locations, neither one impressed me.

10. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

Born, raised and lived all but 4 of my 49 years in SA. Never heard of Cha Cha's

11. seb44

seb44 250+ Posts

12. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

Never heard of either so I would be a fool to write a review.