Santa Fe ideas

Discussion in 'On The Road Again' started by Jive_Turkey, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Jive_Turkey

Jive_Turkey 1,000+ Posts

I'm going to Santa Fe next week for some R&R. Definitely playing golf at Black Mesa.

Any hiking, sight-seeing, and restaurant recommendations? This is my first time there. Thanks.

I'm staying at a friend's house, which is centrally located and will have a rental car, so I can drive around.

2. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

Santa Fe tends to be pretty spendy on the restaurant thing, but here goes:

Geronimo
    The Shed (for lunch)
    The Compound (has a reasonable lunch special)
    Bistro 315 (I think the name has changed)
    The Inn at the Loretto
    Coyote Cafe
    SantaCafe
    The Shed has a related restaurant that is good south of downtown on Cerillos (Maybe Chollos?)
    La Fonda is decent.
    Pasquals
    The usually have good food and some music at a place on Canyon and Camino del Monte Sol.
    Bishop's Lodge
    Lots of people like the Pink Adobe. I don't, but it's a classic.

Hot tubs and massages at 10,000 waves. Go there early in your trip before you get the high altitude mexican food gas issues. You don't want to be supressing a fart while getting a massage.

Lot's of hiking trails up on the road to the ski mountain.

Flyfishing on the Pecos. Desert Anglers?

More art galleries than your artist wife can drag you to in 3 days (I know).

The Bull Ring has drinks and music.

There's a good breakfast place about halfway up Canyon on your left. It might be called Celebrations or something german (I know, a random description).

New Mexican food is nothing much like texmex. It's very good, but don't expect and enchilada to be rolled up. It will be flat and made out of blue corn. And pretty spicy. Posole is hominy around here.

3. Smoky Brisket

Smoky Brisket 100+ Posts

We were there in July and ate at the shed for both lunch and dinner. Dinner's good because you can make reservations, but theres so many other places that are great for dinner. Nick hit all the good restaurants.

Bishops Lodge is being sold off bit by bit by developers. Doesnt look the same as it used to.

We hiked the trail behind St John. Good for a morning hike.

4. DAGMAR

DAGMAR 250+ Posts

Bobcat Bite is a tiny amazing hamburger place. Get a cheesburger with green chili and you will not be disappointed

5. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

If you like sightseeing bandelier would be a good day trip.

6. Jive_Turkey

Jive_Turkey 1,000+ Posts

thanks guys.

i'll print this out and take with me.

7. dalhorn1

dalhorn1 1,000+ Posts

I second the Bishops Lodge. It's a few miles out of town, but real neat secluded ranch hotel to go get a drink and sit out on the patio bar and watch the desert sunset. If you want relaxing, this surely is where to find it.

8. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

The place on Canyon and Camino del Monte Sol that has music is called El Farol. I just remembered.

There is also a place more down in the Acequia, kinda close to The Compound that has tapas and music. Acequia is NM for ditch. Locals will know.

9. kbrown

kbrown 1,000+ Posts

The French Pastry Shop inside the La Fonda is awesome...get yourself a fresh blueberry crepe

10. C.L. McLovin

C.L. McLovin Guest

Nick did a great job with the tourist restaurants and things to do, you should have had a great time. I wish I could give you the names of the best places but sadly, they don't want outsiders crowding the joints. Heck, I should just send you to various relatives houses to eat. The food will be a whole lot better.

Unless teenagers are any different from when I was growing up, I would NEVER EVER sit in a hot tub at 10k Waves, EVAR. Massages, go for it. They don't make enough Clorox for a hot tub.

So many new places have cropped up since the last time I was up there visiting people. I never have to really keep up with them since eating is the last of my concern but Nick really did a great job with some names I know.

I remember the first time I ate at Pasqual's. I was in Sixth Grade and it had not been open very long, I think. My Fifth Grade teachers husband died and I was helping her pack up her stuff and do various odds and ends at her house. We were close (not in that way) and she was a wonderful person so I wanted to help.

She and I walked to Pasqual's for breakfast. I have never forgotten it and never been back as I remember being able to see the immense sadness and void in her eyes while going through the grief at hand. Kids sense this stuff, of course.

So anytime I skateboarded by it, rode my bike by it or just walked by I think of her and smile inside hoping she is happy. I know she remarried so hopefully she is happy again. Ty, Mrs. Parr (or whatever your name is now) for putting up with me!

So yeah, eat at Pasqual's for me.

11. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

I've never been in the water at 10,000 waves. I DO have a fair amount of friends who have done it and not gotten any STD's. It wouldn't be on my list anywhere ever, but especially not in Santa Fe. I concur with C.L., but it's not our choice.

Does Tiny's still exist?

12. Mrmyke709

Mrmyke709 1,000+ Posts

Drive up the canyon to Rancho De Chimayo.The pork in red chile sauce is the best.
    We eat so much freaking food in Santa Fe, we're usually miserably bloated.
    Pascual's is the ****.

13. NickDanger

NickDanger 2,500+ Posts

I forgot. The Inn of the Anasazi has a really great restaurant. Really good at times.

Never been there, but I am told that the Tesuque village NW of town has lots to offer in the way of casual food and shopping.

14. Jive_Turkey

Jive_Turkey 1,000+ Posts

I wound up eating dinner at Pascual's, the cantina at Coyote Cafe, and Santacafe. Had breakfast at Tia Sophia's a few times (man that is solid). Had brunch at the Inn at Anasazi. Outstanding chorizo omelet with green chile hash browns.

Went for hikes at Bandalier and at Tent Rocks. Did Canyon Road galleries and shopped at the Plaza. Also hit the flea market at Tesuque (sp?). Hit golf balls at Marty Sanchez.

All in all, a great time. Thanks for the suggestions.