Sara Hattis

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by jusme828, Apr 11, 2016.

1. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

To graduate in May and transfer

• Like Like x 1
  2. utfannforlife

utfannforlife 1,000+ Posts

Hmmm...... Not sure how I feel about this one. With Imani being gone and her play getting better I thought she would be able to contribute valuable minutes next year. Wouldn't be surprised to see her go to SMU or UNT where she's familiar with the HC's and could offer immediate and valuable front court help

• Like Like x 2
  3. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Unless Texas is in the running for a grad transfer or an as yet unnamed Juco post, have to agree with @utfannforlife. With Imani's departure, you'd think she would've gotten a lot more playing time next season. If there isn't an incoming post, Kelsey will be the only player on the roster taller than 6' 3".

4. rattfatt

rattfatt 500+ Posts

I liked Sara, but I don't think she was going to get more playing time next year. Texas has been lucky to have two big centers that are 6'5 and 6'7 but most college programs post players are usually around 6'3. Texas won't have the shot blocker/rim protector like Imani but they will be more athletic outside of Kelsey Lang.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  5. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

I'm okay with Sara transferring. She was a marginal player who was a shoot first post player who lacked court and situational awareness. I'm also not worried because I see this team transitioning to a faster paced team with Holmes coming in and spreading the floor like the Warriors with the Caron Goudreau twins stretching the floor and opening the lanes for cutters and penetration (Brooke, Ariel, LaShann).

6. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

this was always a possibility with her being able to graduate this year. Sorry to see her go but wish her the best wherever she lands. :hookem2:

• Like Like x 2
  7. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

I was expecting her to graduate, and possibly move on from Texas in May (and give up her final season of eligibility). Didn't really think she'd want to go play somewhere else as a graduate transfer. But, good luck to her.

Hopefully, Coach A has a plan to use that 'ship to improve the roster for the upcoming season.

8. UTExinPDX

UTExinPDX 1,000+ Posts

Congrats on your upcoming graduation! Know you bleed burnt orange. Thanks for representing Texas on the basketball and the volleyball courts. Best of luck. :hookem2:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

When you consider that we were holding a spot for either Sabrina Ionescu or Natalie Chou, someone on the current roster was most likely moving on after the season concluded. Could have been that Coach A and Sara had an agreement for her to be on scholarship for only 2 years.

10. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Agree on Texas having been lucky the past few years but Sara could have gotten minutes bodying up some of the larger centers we'll face next season when Kelsey gets into foul trouble. The offense wasn't ever going to run through her.

11. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Well, the Caron-Goudreau twins are about the same size as Sara, although smaller than Kelsey. Even if Kelsey, Joyner, Aborowa, and the twins rotate between the 4 and 5 positions, minutes weren't going to be too plentiful for Sara.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2016
  12. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

Opens up a ship...

13. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Sorry to see her go, but I always grimaced when she entered the game. As another posted, situational awareness was lacking and just pure bad luck on shots. So many baskets attempted under the rim, going in-and-out. At some point, it stops being bad luck and starts being the shot taker that's causing that.

• Like Like x 1
  14. UT Horn Fan

UT Horn Fan 500+ Posts

I, too, grimaced when Sarah checked into the game. She committed too many fouls. To illustrate my point, here are the 2015-16 numbers of Fouls/Minutes Played:
    Hattis - 38/155 = .2451
    Atkins - 73/568 = .1285
    Foman - 29/250 = .1160
    Boyette - 95/822 = .1155
    Taylor - 73/633 = .1153
    Lang - 77/675 = .1140
    Hosey - 35/329 = .1063
    Higgs - 46/450 = .1022
    Davenport - 85/836 = .1016
    Sanders - 13/314 = .0838
    Rodrigo - 56/987 = .0567
    McCarty - 59/1119 = .0527
    Aborowa - 2/62 = .0322

Her biggest in-game contribution to the team was to provide a body to rest the others. The problem was she couldn't stay in very long without putting the opponent in/closer to the bonus. In practice she was a body for Boyette and Lang to go up against.

In VB, she was a good MB when needed for one rotation. However, this season Mirta filled that role, so Hattis would have been #4 on the depth chart.

I don't blame her for wanting to transfer to get more playing time.

• Like Like x 1
  15. breckenj05

breckenj05 100+ Posts

I agree, Sara has the worst hands I've seen on a post player, she struggled to rebound and missed easy lay ups all the time. She was good to have just to rest Kelsey and Imani but she was a liability on both defense and offense. Her best game in my opinion was against UConn in the Sweet 16 last year but I never saw anything like that from her this season. With Joyner and twins coming in I don't think her playing time would have increased. Best of luck to her though.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

17. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Looks like Sara will be finishing her collegiate career at Arizona State:

18. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

Good for her. A quick search on Google Maps shows that it's 6.5 hours for her parents to drive to Tempe vs. 11.0 hours to drive to Austin. Hope they get to see more of her. Classy person and glad it worked out for all.

Hmmm...I wonder if she would qualify for v-ball as well at ASU?