Sark Needs to Start Card in Lawrence / Here’s Why

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by dukesteer, Nov 13, 2022.

1. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

If you only knew what I was making on the premium trip I am on you would know I could afford two copies.

2. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Good on you HIC.
    Heck I say if Sark doesn’t like Card give Roshon a shot. He has to like him, we all know he’s one of the team leaders.

3. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Your Wrong,

This is not a set up or a disagreement with anything you've posted, but personal information. Did you see the game live? I have refrained from posting because of some of the things I saw which I am sure were not shown on TV. I haven't built the courage to watch the recording yet.

Suffice it to say, I was so pissed off at certain people (not the team as a whole) that I actually considered not singing with the team after the game. After the last two years, I could not bring myself to not sing with the kids that practice and pour their hearts into it with no hope of ever seeing the field.

Question: Can/do alligators sing?

4. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Classic.

• Winner Winner x 1
  5. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Clearly I’m not charging enough for my amazing insight.

• Winner Winner x 1
  6. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Celebrated receivers that aren’t catching easy passes.

Great runners that are missing holes.

OL missing blocks.

A QB that isn’t seeing the field, and missing opportunities. Missing virtually every long pass. Unable to run. At all.

DBs missing assignments.

Our best player on that side of the ball running into the punter at a critical point in the game.

And a celebrated offensive genius HC that is apparently incapable of making in-game adjustments.

Other than that, I really don’t see any issues with this team…

• Like Like x 2
  7. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Duke,

I didn't know you were at the game, but you and I saw the same game. I would like your post a million gazillion times if I could. Having a star player not even try to get to the pass FIVE times is inexcusable. Having WRs so wide open that they have to pay rent on a section of the endzone, but never be looked at???

Sonny had his lowly paid kids ready. Ours must have been out spending their NIL $$$.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. LHABSOB

LHABSOB 1,000+ Posts

YW- I think you hit the nail on the head with this. Everyone commenting on Card starting thinks it is just as simple as putting in the player that gives you the best chance to win game by game. But I think there is a bigger program direction at play here. My guess (not based on any inside info) is that Card has already announced his plans to transfer, players are aware and he will only be brought in to play in case of injury to Ewers. There is no way if he is still a viable option to stay with the program that Sark doesn't put him in during 2nd half of Okie St or on Friday night. I think Card is a young man of character and will stand in support of his team until we does what is best for him at the end of this season.

And if that is the case, I would prefer we roll with the guys that are going to be on the field with us next year.

That being said, I would be thrilled if QE came out in Lawrence with the mullet gone, a new attitude, and an announcement that he is recommitted to the play we saw in the Oklahoma game.

9. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

SH, I thought about coming in but decided not to…

10. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

This would surprise me but I really don’t know. However, if a player unnecessarily declares — even before he can legally do so — then yes, he shouldn’t play. To me Card is a class act so I just cannot imagine that he has disclosed his intentions yet.

I do believe, however, that if Card were to start in Lawrence, play well, and keep the job through the bowl game, it may well change the calculation, both for him and Sark. Just imagine the uproar if Card starts, succeeds, and then is demoted?

• Like Like x 1
  11. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

if Sark knows Card won't be here next year I still play Card this year cause I want to win this year. I want excellence every game going forward this year. I said this earlier, to sacrifice this year by playing Ewers and getting him ready for next year is stupid. For one thing, there is no guarantee that Ewers will be better next year. For another thing Ewers may not be here next year, he could be dead, we all might be dead next year.
    So win this year. Impress the recruits. Get a winning atmosphere.
    If we had no chance to be bowl eligible (which we already are) then you play for experience, I guess.
    Just win baby.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

It is bizarre that Card sits on the Bench.
    Maybe Sark was given the message that a lot of powerful people have invested heavily in QE, and that he can't be benched.
    It would be a negative reflection on Sark and an embarrassment to the people who paid the NIL money for showing they don't know squat about talent..Maybe Sark/CDC asked for NIL money for QE??

• Agree Agree x 1
  13. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Hated NIL when introduced and now hate it more after reading some of the insights presented here. I am of the same opinion as Poms; a coaches job is to win. Any distractions from that suck! Any actions contrary to that suck. We fans pay a hell of a lot of money (at least to some of us it is a lot) to watch the Horns and are pulling for a W not for an ego boosting bunch of NIL $$$.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Here's a fun? experiment. QB comparison, but adjusted all stats with the same percentages but as if they had 300 attempts each - to make it less obvious who is who based on how much they've played.

A: 191 completions. 2,403 yds (8.0 Y/A). 21 TD. 4 INT.
    B: 191 completions. 2,533 yds (8.4 Y/A). 18 TD. 5 INT.
    C: 176 completions. 2,261 yds (7.5 Y/A). 16 TD. 5 INT.
    D: 207 completions. 2,588 yds (8.6 Y/A). 17 TD. 3 INT.
    E: 165 completions. 2,133 yds (7.1 Y/A). 18 TD. 8 INT.

A - Bryce Young. B - Dillon Gabriel. C - Spencer Sanders. D - Hudson Card. E - Quinn Ewers.

15. erbutch

erbutch 500+ Posts

I agree with most of what poms said. I am disappointed in Sark. I think he will start QE these next two games. QE will be here next year where Card will not. Texas is not going anywhere this year except maybe a higher tier bowl. The year is basically over. I think Sark would rather not take a chance on ruining QEs delicate feelings than winning these last two games. I personally think QE is overrated but I am do not see him on a everyday basis. Also there may be big money talking here.

16. I_Dont_Exist

I_Dont_Exist 1,000+ Posts

Nose meet knife. The difference between 8-4 and 6-6 strictly cosmetic for me. You're either 9 or 10 win bowl slot or you're in a game damn few are watching. Card is gone after this year. Give me the experience for Ewers over a couple more meaningless wins far from a sure bet under Card.

• Agree x 2
    • Disagree x 2
    • WTF? x 1
    • Hot x 1
    • poop x 1
  17. erbutch

erbutch 500+ Posts

18. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Hmmm, how many rushing touchdowns?

• Like Like x 1
  19. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I left out the rushing because I also thought that might make it too easy to tell who was who. I did want to include sack numbers but College Football Reference didn't have them separated out from rushing totals.

20. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Too busy making another Sonic commercial.

21. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

so Card has far more completions and far fewer interceptions. so who gives us the best chance to win?
    plus we know Card would have more rushing yards.:facepalm:
    Sarks experiment with Ewers should, i say should (some foghorn there) be over for this season anyway.
    Now, who knows, Ewers may have different mentality next year, may have spit and vinegar (which Card was deficient at one time also). A leopard can change his spots.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2022
  22. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

this is not just about final record. This is also about getting recruits and establishing a winning atmosphere and mentality. Has that escaped your mind? or is Ewers your half brother's cousin's son?

23. Chest Rockwell

Chest Rockwell 1,000+ Posts

I'd start Ewers but make it common knowledge that Card is getting playing time on Saturday. It could be as early as the 3rd series, or as late as mop-up time, but Ewers needs to know another bad start = a quick hook.

I'd also like to see better play-calling. It seems option #1 is to hand to Bijan and option #2 is to throw deep. Can we get some other WRs involved? Where is Omeire or Red or Cain??

• Like Like x 2
  24. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Cain played quite a bit. In fact, I believe he was one of the wide-open receivers in the endzone who went unseen.

25. Your Wrong

Your Wrong 500+ Posts

Well Sabre, I was indeed at the game. In spite of my holiness on this site, I can be an oblivious moron. So I got nothing for you. But am quite curious.

I did notice a number of players singing The Eyes. I did not notice any jackassery out of the TCU players post game.

26. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

They celebrated, may have sung a song in the northwest corner, but no "look at me" or stomping on the Longhorn. I thought the entire team was down in the northeast corner to sing The Eyes.

• Like Like x 1
  27. I_Dont_Exist

This year's recruiting class, '23 , is essentially done and '24 is going to have next to nothing to do with our next 2 games. Get a clue.

• Disagree Disagree x 2
    • WTF? WTF? x 1
  28. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Yeah they were in NW corner having a grand time, frog signing and horns down. They won, they’re allowed.

29. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I hope your day gets better

• Agree Agree x 1
  30. I_Dont_Exist

I hope your day gets smarter.