Sark Needs to Start Card in Lawrence / Here’s Why

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by dukesteer, Nov 13, 2022.

1. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

I thought about Sark leaving Euers in the game, when he was obviously rattled and making poor decisions. The TCU D was applying the pressure every play and obviously applying the pressure, while also having our receivers covered, but the D line was going all out to get to Euers. As a frosh, I don't believe Euers has seen a D pass rush like that he experienced Saturday. That should have been expected from a Defence of a #4 ranked team, they would bring the heat on a relatively inexperienced QB. It showed and it worked. I may be wrong, and I am not sold on this, but Sark may have left him in to make him step up, get his mind right to make good decisions while under duress and be a leader. QE has to experience the tough times in a game, and learn make the correct decision quickly. He can’t be the starting QB if he can’t make clear and quick reads and goof decisions. So, while the TCU game was tough to watch, especially the offensive series, maybe QE learned some valuable lessons and will improve his play. Then again, maybe not. So, we’ll see how he progresses or doesn’t and either rides the pine, or transfers . . . again.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  2. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Joe,

Not picking on you, but please know that TCU did not cover all our WRs. There were multiple times we had WRs open, but he never saw them. At least three of those were in the endzone. He would lock on one WR. There were no read(S), just pick one and zero in on him. I have never seen Ewers do that before. Very disturbing.

Couple that with WR acting like throw me the ball; I mean throw to me because I am not going to go get it.

Shake it off or start Roschon at QB.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Your Wrong

Your Wrong 500+ Posts

Sabre on your earlier post I thought you were referring to some post game shenanigans. But, yes, there were open guys. I think the balls to Worthy are out of reach in most cases, but there is some doubt due to lack of effort. Even if you think there isn’t a lack of effort, there’s a massive lack success that should dictate trying something else.

On Ewers, he missed wide open guys at ULM and OU. Several of those on the insistence of throwing to Worthy. The two against OU were not apparent on TV. Both drives ended in non-TDs.

The wins are there for taking whether it’s lack of execution or coaching can be debated. I’d say it’s always both because one could overcome the other.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

The wheel route to Bijan when his defender stumbled and Bijan was WIDE open heading to the EZ made me sick.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Your Wrong

Your Wrong 500+ Posts

Incredibly frustrating. Think back to the 2nd drive versus Tech. I cannot remember if Card rolled right or not but the play was similar.

But the Tech LBer rerouted Bijan. Bumped him off the numbers and almost to the sideline. That’s why it was incomplete. But the LBer/S ignored Helm. My point then was that it was a reasonable read because Bijan always gets by the guy. He was even when he decided to throw. Except that time because of the reroute. But that might be why Ewers came off Bijan so quick was remembering that play.

Ultimately, they were both too quick. QEs decision was worse in my opinion because he ignored the 1 on 1 matchup for the primary read. While Helm was wide open Bijan was too, but the timing was off. It’s a little ironic that many applauded QE for his quick decisions because that’s been a large part of his difficulties in not allowing plays to develop.

6. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

How many times Saturday did he go to his second read?

• Hot Hot x 1
  7. Your Wrong

Your Wrong 500+ Posts

Well Sanders over Bijan. So 1?

I don’t recall ever seeing guys so often surprised the ball is already on them. Part of that may be they’re expecting it to go to Worthy.

8. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Interesting take. If that is true, it would follow that Sark chose to (in essence) concede both the OSU game and the frogs for the purpose of developing his young QB. Hard to believe, but then again, the ineptitude we have seen — particularly late in many games — is also hard to believe.

• Like Like x 1
  9. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Everybody has signed their letter of intent?
    They haven't?
    Then every recruit in the class of '23 may de-commit and go somewhere else.
    Therefore, recruiting is not "done".
    We need to show improvement on the field to hold the recruits we have.
    And some big time '23 recruits we are still after were at that game.
    I don't know how you figure '23 recruiting is "done".

• Agree Agree x 2
  10. BornOrange0855

BornOrange0855 250+ Posts

This I think is his #1 issue. He locks in on the primary receiver and throws to him no matter the coverage. I don't know if he's gun shy because of the injury suffered against Bama, or if he just hasn't developed that skill set yet. I cut him slack because he's very young. But I really wish we had more of a football player at QB than just a statue with a strong arm.

But maybe he'll grow into the second coming. Sooner rather than later.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  11. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Gents: no need for the personal jabs here, please. :beertoast:

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  12. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

That is the problematic part. Two opportunities to win disappeared like a couple of farts in the wind. Unless there are no other options, why stick with a guy who is struggling and having a poor performance when the next guy up may be able to salvage a win? Makes no sense to sacrifice a winnable game especially when your D is playing great, to stick with a floundering QB and put a checkmark in the loss column. I hope Sark doesn't try that again.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  13. RainH2burntO

RainH2burntO 2,500+ Posts

The truth is no one knows how good or not good QE will be ...though most fans should know it isn't every day in cfb that a 19 yr old with little to no experience steps in and consistently plays well. Yes, it happens...but is the exception. Bottom line, fans are impatient and irrational. I personally think sitting a starter on the bench is fine and even wise when he struggles and oftentimes necessary while he gains experience. Great coaches do it...Sark should have done this IMHO.
    BUT, it is also true that the fanbase is impatiently and prematurely ragging QE down and it isnt helpful or productive..and doesn't make much sense for a guy his age with the amount hes played to be getting that kind of grief this early in his time here. Many of us talked about it when he was named starter...warned about realistic expectations (just as we warned the 12-1/11-2 we're going to the playoffs crowd)..and yet, here we are....quinn sucks, hes trash, give up, under the bus and all.
    Sark has done him no favors...but neither are some fans.
    Id love to have seen Card step in a couple times, and am disappointed (and concerned) in some of what I am seeing in QE, but we are a long way from knowing what we've got there.
    Look around....Duggan, Martinez/Howard, Spencer Sanders (look outside the b12 to cjstroud, stetson bennett and others)....the teams ahead of us..or seemingly so...all have guys that have taken 4-5 years to get there.
    As long as Sark rolls w QE, cheer him loudly, applaude him and encourage when he falters, yell like hell, support the team and the teams QB and cheer them all on as long as they are out there wearing that burnt orange uni

(And hope and pray for the best...)

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. TheBeeman

TheBeeman 25+ Posts

I didn’t catch the press conference but I did see that Sark again said that he did not consider pulling Ewers.
    Was the obvious follow up question of “why didn’t you consider pulling Ewers” asked?
    I doubt it would get a real answer but whatever Sark responds with could be informative.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  15. txhorn_et

txhorn_et 1,000+ Posts

I agree 100%.
    Ewers needs to get his head straight again.
    It’s Stuart Smalley time!

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

He may be 19, but he has been on a college campus/practice field for two years with premier programs/coaches.
    He went through spring, summer and fall camps here.
    He has been the starter all season (except when injured).
    He shouldn't be playing like some fuzz faced freshman right off the bus.

• Agree Agree x 3
  17. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

IMO Sark made it clear in yesterday's presser Ewers will start Sat.

18. RainH2burntO

Well..his face is fuzzy, Moon.

Nah, this^^^^^^^^is fair, too.....reasonable point....
    And maybe why he is catching the heat...more so the nature of what he is doing/not doing, than the actual simple fact he's failing/losing.
    Similar to the we have 4 losses debate...
    Some of us are like....What do you expect a loss to look like?!?!? Of course it wont look pretty (1 exception in a 100 years).
    But, the counter to that has been "Its just the WAY we are losing".
    I still say....a young qb who still can turn out great may very well look and play just like Ewers is when getting more experience...depending on personality, circumstances, etc and a million other factors...and the situation warrants patience, optimism, and faith/support.

19. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

I don't think anyone here has called for Ewers to be replaced permanently.
    We have patience for him to develop.
    But part of that development can include being benched and watching Card win the game he is screwing up.

• Winner Winner x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  20. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Almost exactly what I was going to write. Let me add that I believe only an unhinged minority is trashing him. I’m certainly not.

When Mack forced the Simms issue, particularly leaving him in against Colorado in the CCG, I opined at the time that by doing so, instead of building the player’s confidence, he was eroding it. I feel the same way about Ewers. Give the kid a break. Take the pressure off. And as I have said, if Cards stinks it up, won’t that be validation for Sark to hang with QE?

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  21. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

He had access to some pretty good facilities and coaches at Carroll too. It's not like he was totally green coming out of high school - he was ready for the next level. Something has changed.

22. RainH2burntO

For the record, it was my own assertion in my original post that Ewers should have been benched.. so not sure how or why that became a primary point in the responses to it...no argument there.

23. 22Horn

22Horn 500+ Posts

something changed....yes, all teams have many studs although some studs are 3-4 and sometimes 2's....he will come around to satisfy our (fans) expectations.

Rain... very good points regarding 'support the young man' instead of verbally beating him to a pulp!!!!

****Fully agree that Sark needs to equip him better and that may mean sitting him some in tough situations....all are frustatted!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  24. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Take this with a grain of salt but it is coming from a recruiting consultant who I know pretty well, and who I believe to be in touch with Ewers’ father. I could add more details to validate the connection but to do so might jeopardize my source.

Ewers’ father claims that his son is not being coached up by Sark, that QE is frustrated, and that he could be looking around, soon.

I tend to believe everything I heard and if true, it reinforces my initial perspective: That QE is very talented, but also very high maintenance. An “all about me” mentality. That may not be fair but from the outside looking in and with admittedly limited knowledge, the term Prima Donna comes to mind.

25. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

Don’t want to believe that Duke, no info to refute just don’t want to believe it.

26. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

Wow Duke
    If that is the father's attitude maybe he Should look around.
    Sark not "coaching up" a QB?
    Sark made Ewers the starter and has stuck with him through puzzling play.
    IF Sark had benched him maybe I could see it.
    I think we see the problem and it ain't Sark

• Like Like x 1
  27. Your Wrong

Your Wrong 500+ Posts

I know there’d be suitors but he hasn’t played well lately and 3 schools in 3 years. A little more risk than typical.

• Agree Agree x 1
  28. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Settle down and leave Duke alone. He's going to be too busy talking to Lane Kiffin and Mike Leach. :yippee:

Seriously, while I don't know Duke's source, I do know Duke and give the rumor more credibility than I would if it came from others.

:hookem2:

• Like Like x 1
  29. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Insert obligatory "Well....bye" meme <here>.

30. HalRex

HalRex 1,000+ Posts

Quite the rumor there.