Save some prayers for the Ags' Derrick Rowland

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by Bill_McNeal, Dec 22, 2009.

1. Bill_McNeal

Bill_McNeal 250+ Posts

In the Washington game, he just came down wrong on a rebound and totally got Theismanned - snapped his tibia/fibula in half.

They showed a replay and the Ag bench and entire section of Washington fans all cringed in unison.

Awful stuff.

2. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Ouchie!

Much as I hate aggy, I never want to see something like that happen to a kid who's competing for his or her school. Best wishes for a full recovery.

3. bierce

bierce 1,000+ Posts

Sorry to hear about that. I hope he has a full recovery.

It's Roland, btw.

Twelfth game of the season for him, so I guess medical exemption won't be happening, and that's probably his career. That's a real shame.

4. Bill_McNeal

Bill_McNeal 250+ Posts

Thanks, bierce, you're right.

Ghoul that I am, I went back on the DVR to see if I could find what happened. You couldn't see the break happened, but you sure could hear it. Sounded like a gunshot.

Weird thing was, Roland seemed completely calm - I've never had that kind of thing happen, thank God. Maybe adrenaline dulls the pain or something.

But his teammates were devastated. Sloan and a couple of other players just kind of wandered around the court completely distraught.

5. Chest Rockwell

Chest Rockwell 1,000+ Posts

Very difficult to watch and you can see Davis and Sloan immediately effected by it. Tough loss for aTm - and a very disappointing ending to Roland's college career. T&P for a full and speedy recovery. [​IMG]

6. Pentaconta

Pentaconta 1,000+ Posts

I missed the game, but someone on another board posted a still shot of the injury. Wow. It hurt just looking at it. Shades of Theisman and Napoleon McCallum.

Prayers for a speedy recovery, and best of luck in the next phase of his career and/or life. [​IMG]

7. salonghorn-70

salonghorn-70 2,500+ Posts

Just read a story on this. He is undergoing surgery and will remain in Washington through Christmas. Players will stay with him until family can get there. Apparently a&m is trying to get his family to Washington but is having difficulty given the Christmas travel schedule.

All of us need to pray for this young man and his family.

8. RobbyHorn

RobbyHorn 500+ Posts

All the best to Roland for a speedy recovery.

I loathe aggy. [​IMG]

9. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

Just terrible. He was playing pretty well for them as well. Best wishes for a full recovery....

10. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

That was tough to watch.

If it was a Longhorn player Aggy would call him "Cart ________".
    Thank God we are not Aggy. Prayers for Rowland.

11. tejas77

tejas77 1,000+ Posts

Here's wishing a speedy and complete recovery for the young man.

Saw on ESPN some of his teammates are going to stay with him until his family can get up there with him. Have to give them props for that. [​IMG]

12. OldOrangeOne

OldOrangeOne 100+ Posts

13. beehorn

beehorn 25+ Posts

I just sent him a line.

14. spit and tears

spit and tears 250+ Posts

I got my leg broken about like that when I was 14 (soccer, believe it or not). No, I don't recall adrenaline dulling the pain, and it does sound like a gunshot. People a hundred yards away heard mine.

Hang in there, kid! You will recover. Sucks that this is going to end his college career, but he will hopefully get back to normal eventually.

15. HornFinc

HornFinc 250+ Posts

Just sent an email to the hospital as well. I feel so badly for Derrick and the team. Hopefully they can bounce back from something as emotionally draining as this.

16. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

prayers for him, his family and his team mates.

17. Dude

Dude 1,000+ Posts

Email sent.

I don't hate aggy basketball as much as I do their football. Was rooting for them last night.

18. FireRC

FireRC 500+ Posts

19. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I agree, FireRC. First, rise above it and second, two totally different circumstances and people. Yeesh.

Thank you for that link, email about to be sent.

I watched some of the game but not all of it and missed that, thankfully. I hope all goes well for him. Horrible thing to happen for sure.

20. PropositionJoe

PropositionJoe 2,500+ Posts

information is coming out that it was clean break, and will not be career threatening.

supposdely kenyon martin had similar break in college.

21. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

I hope this turns out to be the case, Joe! Thanks.

22. Horn69

Horn69 2,500+ Posts

Speedy recovery to another of the Seagoville Dragons that dot the hoops landscape along with Sloan and LaMarcus. Get well and home soon!

Hook'em!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

23. RobbyHorn

RobbyHorn 500+ Posts

Just read that Roland's surgery was successful. All the best to you young man!

24. accuratehorn

accuratehorn 10,000+ Posts

That injury is no picnic. There are a lot of nerves in bones, for some reason, and it hurts like hell. If Roland didn't show any signs of pain, he was probably in shock. They should be able to repair the break with no problem, though.
    Best wishes for a full recovery, hate to see anything like this.
    Read where the aggy trainer almost passed out and had to be helped to the bench while attending to the injured player, and many fans turned their heads, unable to watch. I would have been just like that. I am squemish about such things.

25. PropositionJoe

PropositionJoe 2,500+ Posts

it's moments like these that you realize that all of these athletes are kids. they are 18-22 playing a game they've played probably their entire life...and a game that they love.

it's remarkably easy to get caught up in who wins and who loses, but sometimes its good to get perspective about just who we are rooting for/cursing.

hearing especially that sloan is skipping the fam christmas to hang out with roland really puts things into perspective. many things are bigger than the game itself.

26. gecko

gecko 2,500+ Posts

Does a bone heal stronger after a break or is that just a myth...?