Saw the Coach Strong Media Appearance

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by TxnByBirth, Jul 21, 2015.

1. TxnByBirth

TxnByBirth 1,000+ Posts

And those glowing Longhorns helmet decals really piss me off.

2. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

I missed it today but will catch it on the LHN replay. The metal glow decals do not sit well with me either. They need to look like this on the helmets. :bevo:

• Like Like x 1
  3. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

4. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

Strong continues to hold the world record for using the words "you" and "just" the most in an interview.

"You just gotta be ready to work everyday, and just do what's expected of you, and if you just do that, everything will just come together for you". Maybe that's not an exact quote but it's not far off.

I like Charlie, but listening to his interviews is about as enlightening as watching a seminar on ambiguity. Never thought I'd miss Mack's never-ending sunshine speeches.

I did rather enjoy CS speaking as if Lampkin was still trying to join the team, saying "he's still got some work to do". Must be a hard thing for an honest man like Strong to dance around the truth on that cluster.

5. WorsterMan

I did not read that as a positive comment about the Lampkin issue... guess we will see.

6. NBHorn7

NBHorn7 Pimp Daddy

Coach Strong overusing he words "you" and "just," just "scares you to death." :smile1:

7. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

True. Clarity, and directness is not Charlie's strong suit in the press conference setting.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Strong is not a natural spokesman, and I suspect he probably hates that part of the job. I think I would too. But for a few million in annual compensation one can adapt.

• Like Like x 4
  9. gahornphan

gahornphan 500+ Posts

"When you talk about......"

• Like Like x 2
  10. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

It wasn't positive at all, it was misleading. You, I, and Strong all know very well Lampkin won't be here. I just meant it was entertaining watching Strong have to dance around the truth when he knows the guy isn't coming. CS has no choice but to play that part, if we're gonna hold Lampkin accountable until the end.

11. WorsterMan

I finally saw the whole press conference replay with CS last evening on LHN. I really like CS and want him to be hugely successful at UT. I tried to focus more on what he said than how he said it but here are some of my takeaways:

He had a fair amount of coach speak and predictable things to say about the program and players to date. If you are a casual fan of the football program you might have learned a great deal from what he said. For those of us that follow the program closely, not so much.

I did like him stating again for the record that 6-7 was not acceptable and that his expectations for himself and the team are to WIN games, etc. I like how he talked about his expectations include players stepping up, raising their level of play, being confident and taking leadership roles on the team.

One WOW: I think he said Malik Jefferson has gone from 217 lbs. to ~ 240~ lbs. - probably from the training table and weight room!!

Although we all wanted to hear more, he really didn't say much new about Swoopes or Heard but, I don't know that I expected him to say much in the middle of the summer.

Regarding some our comments on this thread: CS generally speaks well, but as in the past he seems very uncomfortable taking questions and responding to the media. Unfortunately, this makes him look nervous. He is a very highly paid Coach / CEO, and as Dion said, one that should better adapt to the public speaking / media role he must take. There are plenty of professional entities out there that coach / counsel people about their communications skills, many that could help CS be more comfortable / confident in speaking to groups if he wanted the assistance.

Just my .02

Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  12. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

I actually thought he did a much better job this year.
    If you watched any of the other coaches they all are masters of nonspeak.
    I mean ANY coach of any program at any school anywhere.
    He will never be a glib speaker
    but if he does what he says are his goals that wll more than make up for not being a warm fuzzy speaker

• Like Like x 2
  13. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

It's unbelievable to me that you would suggest our unbelievable coach be coached by an unbelievable communication skills person. I thought he did an unbelievable job. Except for maybe seeming unbelievably uncomfortable taking unbelievable questions.

Wait - maybe I agee with you. Unbelievable!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

This is my take regarding his speaking also. When he's forced to speak in general Q&A sessions he seems very uncomfortable. Almost like he's just trying to get by without any accidentally damaging responses. Yet during summer practice updates strictly speaking about the x's and o's on the field, he communicates smoothly with confidence.

I guess that could apply to most of us. Talking specifics about something we know well and love passionately would come with relative ease. But when people start probing into areas that divert from the specifics and could contain landmines (suspensions, Lampkin, etc), we might feel the nerves kick in and start to lean on crutch words like "just" and "you" as Strong does.

But as was said, if your job is the head coach of a media prominent university like Texas, it would be wise to work at improving your public communication skills through professional help. I know if I continued to struggle with this area, I'd have no problem learning some tricks of the trade to feel more at ease.

This is Strong's 6th year as a head coach where public speaking is a consistent part of his position. I think it's safe to say he could use a helping hand to improve that aspect, as it's not making great strides on its own.

15. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

I can understand CS better than Lou Holtz.
    Frankly, I don't care if he stutters his way through.
    Just get us back on a winning track.

• Like Like x 1
  16. gahornphan

gahornphan 500+ Posts

Coach Strong has his own style and I have no problem with it. Some people like Art Briles' "awshucks" folksiness, but personally I find him painful to listen to.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

Lou Holtz makes a good living personal speaking all around the country. It may be hard to understand, but Yosemite Sam can be quite entertaining.

You do have a point, Moondog. Once/if Charlie starts winning at a high level at Texas, the confidence in speech will pick up. It's more difficult to express potential or intentions when the results still say otherwise.

There's a certain confidence that comes with "scoreboard" in your back pocket. Same with debating Aggy, it's easy pickings when 27-25 is the final trump card. :hookem:

18. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Yes, I agree. And he also repeatedly, in the context of questions about the QB competition, stated that the "players around them must raise their level of play. Its not just quarterback play that must get better." I do agree completely with Charlie's framing of this. The entire offense must step up if we are to take a big-time step forward.

• Like Like x 3
  19. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Agree. And, Art "the Fart Briles" looks and sounds like an assistant gas station attendant from the piney woods of east Texas.

• Like Like x 3
  20. WorsterMan

Joe, don't hold back about what you think of Briles... tell us what you really think of him!:popcorn:

• Like Like x 2
  21. Godz40acres

Godz40acres Happy Feller

Yeah, I think BJ wants to burn down Brile's house and steal his dog.

• Like Like x 2
  22. WorsterMan

Better be nice to Joe or he could do that to HF posters he gets cross ways with!

• Like Like x 2
  23. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Well, I don't have that much time, I have a meeting coming up in April. I will say this, t'wouldn't be anything nice, you can bet on 'at.

24. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

He ain't got no dog worth havin'.

25. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Nah, I won't do that to HF brothers...

26. Wideawake

Wideawake 100+ Posts

I get the feeling BevoJoe and Steve Edmond don't like Baylor.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Speaking of BJ, I have some associates out at the bordello.....err executive ranch..... who I'm certain could release some stress.

• Like Like x 3
  28. WorsterMan

VolHorn - 'tis the off season to be jolly. Goodwill toward men.

I will spring for the cost to put Bevo Joe up for a weekend to relieve his stress at your exclusive Hill Country Executive Ranch & Bordello. Have him pick a weekend. Just keep track of his excessive and lavish "entertainment expenses" and put them on my tab.

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2015
  29. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

I'm pretty sure that if CS goes out and wins 10 or 11 games this year, beats OU, wins a bowl game, et al, most people won't care if he can speak english, be glib, or conjugate verbs.
    :texasflag::bevo::hookem:

• Like Like x 1
  30. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

See, we knew you were a proprietor of such goods and services. You tried to deny it at the spring game but come on.

• Like Like x 2