Say goodnight, Gracie...

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by hookem2003, Mar 15, 2009.

1. hookem2003

hookem2003 500+ Posts

IF we beat Minn, we play at Duke. Well, at least our travel budget won't get stretched this year.

2. Seattle4UT

Seattle4UT 1,000+ Posts

Texas is a #7

3. 4realhorn

4realhorn 500+ Posts

Duke has gotten fairly use to losing in the 2nd round recently, hopefully we can add to that experience.

4. l00p

l00p 10,000+ Posts

Would you have been more positive had we ended up playing any 2 seed? You would feel better having to play Memphis, perhaps? No matter what we were looking at our second game being a doozie. It just happens to be Dookie that we play.

They are not invincible, we are streaky. Anything can happen and it would sure be cool to beat the suckwad's that is Duke.

5. Max Powers

Max Powers 100+ Posts

To the Moon, Hookem2003!

You play with fear, you'll lose. I say bring 'em on... they can only beat us so many times in a row, right?

6. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

tubby smith's squad, what have they got?

7. tallgrant

tallgrant 250+ Posts

They play in the Big Televen, which means physical defense and less than stellar offense. Tubby is a fiarly good coach, but they've been really inconsistent. They've choked some games away they had no business losing. I think we're better than they are, but with the amount of inconsistency we've shown this year it's hard to predict how we'll perform.

8. UTeric32

UTeric32 500+ Posts

Ive seen Tubbys squad...

I think we can win or lose by 20....and that has nothing to do with Minnesota. We have one bi-polar team.

9. buckhorn

buckhorn 1,000+ Posts

If the Horns play Duke at least they don't have to play them in Durham.

10. updog07

updog07 500+ Posts

We have wayyy more athleticism than Duke. Pittman can absoultely dominate every inside guy they have.

In the past games with Duke, its been their dominance behind the 3 pt line that kills us. And the way they shot today against FSU, they definately arent on a down streak. We just have to play to our strengths and have a glass of focusness. [​IMG]

11. tallgrant

tallgrant 250+ Posts

Per Mapquest, Greensboro Colisseum is 49.5 miles from Cameron Arena. To contrast, the Alamo Dome is 74.3 miles from the Erwin Center.

The Dookies will be out in full force.

12. Horn69

Horn69 2,500+ Posts

This will be a good chance for our team to be a real underdog. Playing Duke down the road in Greensboro. It'll be us against the world. But, need focusness on Gophers before we worry about the Dukies.

P.S.: I"d rather play Duke than Memphis. MSU would be a repeat and playing Griffin and the Gooners would be boring. Give me Duke or give me death. [​IMG]

Hook'em!!! [​IMG]

13. Cap33

Cap33 100+ Posts

14. SL Xpress

SL Xpress 500+ Posts

I'm not confident Texas can beat Minnesota.

If they do get past Minnesota, then IMO that Duke game is in the bag, because Rick has absolutely pwned Krzyzewski at neutral sites since coming to Texas.

15. cochamps

cochamps 2,500+ Posts

16. salonghorn-70

salonghorn-70 2,500+ Posts

Sometimes Gracie was as smart as a fox and out foxed them all. [​IMG]

17. Texas Wahoo

Texas Wahoo 1,000+ Posts

18. SL Xpress

SL Xpress 500+ Posts

I don't think people realize the disdain with which many longtime UNC fans hold Rick Barnes.

It's probably true the majority of them will root against Duke, but it's hardly a given.

It'll be interesting to see what the conversation is like on Inside Carolina this week, especially if Texas manages to beat Minnesota.

19. DRAG69

DRAG69 1,000+ Posts

21. adUTleander

adUTleander 250+ Posts

For what its worth, i think we got the best possible setup for any 7 seed. I dont care if it is in NC, Duke IMO is the weakest of the 2 seeds (including BlowU). And we do have the inside advantage in this game without question. At least we know how to stop Duke at their strength (guard the perimeter and force their shooters into drivers). I dont know how Duke plans to guard us inside.

I still feel like we'll lose to Minnesota though. They obviously arent a regular NCAA tourney team, but Tubby Smith is a hell of a coach and has alot of time to prepare for our bipolar team.

22. Nordberg

Nordberg 1,000+ Posts

We got the worst 10 seed, and if we win we'll get the worst 2 seed (albeit in their backyard). Tough to complain.

23. gecko

gecko 2,500+ Posts

I feel pretty good about this match up. Duke hasn't impressed all year. I think we will actually work them mercilessly inside......and this will be a breakout game for Balbay from 3 territory. I see something like a Duke 78, Texas 63 final.

24. HousHorn09

HousHorn09 2,500+ Posts

25. gsohorn

gsohorn 25+ Posts

I am not entirely sure that UNC fans will cheer for TX at any point this weekend. I expect the crowds to be largely anti-TX for both games (if TX gets to play 2). I lived in Greensboro for a number of years, and I have come to understand the basic UNC/Duke thinking when it comes to bball.

When TX plays MN, most UNC fans will be pulling for MN simply b/c of their disdain for all things Rick Barnes. He is like Barry Switzer to TX fans. Really. Even today. Duke will probably be a slight lean for MN based on underdog/perceived lesser opponent factors.

If/when TX plays Duke, Duke fans will obviously be pro-Duke. UNC fans will probably be largely neutral. Again it's like Barry Switzer coming out retirement and coaching a team against TAMU. Who do you root for? I personally would find it diffcult to watch, much less pick a side to root for.

26. zork

zork 2,500+ Posts

just win baby. find a way. [​IMG]

27. Oilfield

Oilfield Guest

Hope we don't bring the black unis. [​IMG]

28. SL Xpress

SL Xpress 500+ Posts

gsohorn gets it.

29. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

"this will be a breakout game for Balbay from 3"

Is this a joke?

30. IndyHorn

IndyHorn 250+ Posts

You guys likely have it nailed. Were we to play Duke, it would be a home game for Duke. I suspect that it is a moot point entirely. Our team is ready made for a Tubby Smith coached team. The Gophers only fail to match up with teams that can run right by them. Balbay can run by the Gophers, but then would need to slow up and wait for someone to shoot the rock. We might inch by Minnsota, but Dook would whip us in front of our own fans, even the Drum's "OU crowd". The debate about Duke versus Rick Barnes to Carolina fans, it's a waste of time. Let's try and win one and then say good night Gracie. This season has been largely fun and now it wraps up-quickly........ Dook has 5 good shooters, we have one. End of story, no matter who is rooting for whom.