Scholarship Chart

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by HornSwoggler, Feb 8, 2014.

1. HornSwoggler

HornSwoggler Horn Fan

Here is a scholarship chart through 2017:

Chart

The TE position looks tight after this season. I was hoping that position would take on more significance with the new coaching staff. Looks like an area of high need in the next couple of classes.

The other positions look like they can be built up with balanced classes assuming that players progress and injuries do not wipe out a position. The key is development.

At the end, there is an interesting take on needed attrition to reach the 85 scholarship limit by Fall. And the analysis does not include adding a transfer QB. Eight scholarships need to open up if the analysis is correct.

2. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

Is Nate Boyer on schollie?

Doyle is listed twice.

3. HornSwoggler

HornSwoggler Horn Fan

I missed the double Doyle. Remove the Redshirt Sophomore Doyle.

A count from the current roster shows 70 NON-SENIOR scholarship players including Nate Boyer who has been on scholarship for two years.

Even though Kevin Shorter is mentioned in the RB analysis, his name is missing from the 2014 column. This unknown depends on medical exams after he is on campus. He could possibly count against the 85 limit if doctors clear him and he practices.

So removing one Doyle and adding Shorter leads to 93 scholarships needed without attrition or having a walk-on give up a scholarship. Boyer and PK Nick Rose are the two scholarship walk-ons remaining from last season.

LB Demarco Cobbs missed all of last season, his 4th year, due to injury. He could play his 5th year. I have no idea if he will or not. He is included in the count.

OT Josh Cochran is not on the chart as he has announced he has ended his playing career.

4. puckhead

puckhead 100+ Posts

The scholarship chart I kept identified the grade level across the top, as opposed to the calendar year. I prefer my old way.

5. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Here's my take on the 8 that get "attritionized."

Daje - fairly obvious at this point.
    John Harris - already been here for 4 years and hasn't amounted to much. His special teams penalties were jaw droppers last year.
    Bryant Jackson - injuries.
    Onyegbule - see both Harris and Jackson reasons.
    Doyle - for the reasons the article mentioned.
    Demarco Cobbs - for the reasons the article mentioned (injury, wasting schollie space).

As for the other 2... it'll probably be unexpected guys because of grades or issues with the new coaching staff. Could be anyone. My hope is that it's the LBs who have gotten about zero playing time the last couple seasons.

6. HornSwoggler

HornSwoggler Horn Fan

I hate to see forced attrition where a scholarship is pulled from a player in good standing. Attrition due to grades, attitude, legal issues, early graduation, career choice, medical reasons are all AOK in my book. I also do not have a problem with pulling a scholarship from a walk-on who wasn't ever "promised" a 4 year ride.

But I don't like the idea of pulling a scholarship from a guy that has tried to improve and succeed as a part of the team. If that type of player wants to complete his (or her) four years on scholarship, it should be allowed. They should not be penalized due to having an incoming class that is too large. I put someone like LB Aaron Benson in that group. He has not been stellar but he has worked hard (I think), played on special teams and stayed out of trouble as far as i know.

I would love to be privy to the workings of the scholarship shuffle. I am sure that the staff is proficient in knowing their position prior to signing day but it intrigues me as to how they make the count work out.

7. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

"I don't like the idea of pulling a scholarship from a guy that has tried to improve and succeed as a part of the team"

And there's the inherent difference between Mack Brown and the SEC. Some people prefer that, some don't. I think I used to be in the optimist camp around the time we won the national championship.

But 2010 showed me the light. I'm tired of nonperformers. There's nothing in the rules book that says a scholarship offer remains a guarantee for 4+ years. The coaching changes from that year left us woefully in the red in terms of talent, especially at LB, OL, and a few other skill positions. Chet Moss and Aaron Benson were Muschamp guys who somehow managed to stay on campus when Muschamp left. And it's painfully obvious why... they're not good enough to play anywhere else. Same goes for at least 5-10 other guys on that scholarship chart.

Mack had his kind way of getting the nonperformers to understand what was going on when he showed up in December of 1997... position changes and lack of playing time were on the menu. I think Charlie will go about it in a similar fashion, but because of the scholarship predicament we're in now that we weren't in 1997, he's going to have to cut some loose ends.