Scott Frost

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by Badass, Dec 2, 2017.

1. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

i am kind of surprised Scott Frost chose to go home. Why not flirt with FSU at least to drive up your dollars. Recruiting to Nebraska has changed since he was there, much harder than at FSU. Whatcha think? Am I crazy?

2. rick mueller

rick mueller Burnt Orange Bleeder

Hmm, Idk. Two possibilities. Maybe he has a lousy agent who didn't work FSU properly. Maybe Frost is a man of integrity with strong ties to his Alma Mater and knew what he wanted. If he succeeds there, the money will follow.
    Likely there are others possibilities as well.

• Like Like x 5
  3. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Not at all. I think it borders on a career ending move. No recruiting base, no rivalries. I'm thought he was smarter than to ever deal with that worthless self-serving piece of **** Tom Osborne, who would have sold his mother if it benefited him. I hope Frost is successful, but I think it's downhill from here.

• Like Like x 3
  4. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

I think its good for him, but a losing situation--do any of us really think Nebraska can be the way they used to be??? honestly???

5. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Not surprised by Frost decision but he is in a no win situation as pointed out.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

I thought Brett Bielama (sp?) was gonna be Husker’s next coach. He knows Wisconsin football and how to compete with em. But they didn’t ask me lol

7. Hoop

Hoop 500+ Posts

I'm sure it's because he likes Nebraska and wants to go home. He was born there, played there, and I bet has a lot of family and friends there. What's not to like about going back?

Even if he doesn't succeed after 3 years, he'll still be able to retire at 45 and fish and stuff.

• Like Like x 2
  8. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Rick and Sabre both. He has loyalty to his school; but it will end not good for all of the reasons Saber mentions.

9. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

As a player at Nebraska, Grad Asst and Assistant at KSU/Northern Iowa then onto QB Coach/OC@ Oregon the finally HC @CFU I'm sure Frost knows what he's getting into. The fact that he's literally coached coast to coast can't hurt. Nebraska HAS to recruit nationally to be successful.

• Like Like x 1
  10. yelladawgdem

yelladawgdem 2,500+ Posts

When he gives Tommy Frazier the "do-over" Heisman that was GIVEN to him by the DAC to make up for the one Frazier was robbed of, I'll buy that he is a man of integrity.

:hookem:

• Like Like x 1
  11. Seattle Husker

Who? Eddie George?

12. Seattle Husker

In addition to the current players, 100+ former players greeted Scott Frost after his PC today.

Mike Riley was always open to the help but for whatever reason Callahan, Pelini and Riley were always "outsiders" in Lincoln.

If Frost still coaches CFU in the Peach Bowl there will most assuradely be 2000+ Husker fans in attendance.

• Like Like x 4
  13. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

Thanks for an inside look SH. Very informative.

• Like Like x 1
  14. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

Imagine some following their heart over $$.
    Novel concept. Good luck to Frost.

• Like Like x 5
  15. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

Nebraska is on life support. Frost is a super legacy. His mom I believe was a track star at Big Red. His Dad, I think was an athlete as well. He's got the right stuff for sure to bring them back. He was one tough, option QB.

• Like Like x 1
  16. HornHuskerDad

HornHuskerDad 5,000+ Posts

Nebraska is not the same football entity it was in the 90s. The move to the Big Ten changed a lot of the thrust of the program. Recruiting is not as easy as it was when Nebraska dominated the Big Eight. In order for the Huskers to regain their legacy, they need to lock down the instate players, using county scholarships or other avenues, then recruit the out-of-state studs with their football schollies.

That's a tall order - but if there is a coach who can do it, it's probably Scott Frost.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Seattle Husker

The tall order will be to convince that kid that could go play for Coach Bohl @ Wyoming or up to North Dakota on scholarship to walk on at NU. Additionally, some of Iowa and Iowa St. best players the last few years have been Nebraska natives. Frost needs to keep those guys at home.

18. HornHuskerDad

^Good point, Seattle Husker. I assume they still have the "county scholarships" or whatever the modern equivalent is for instate players. And, as you stated, they will still need to convince some players to walk on. Again, Scott will be viewed as a Nebraska hero returning home - and that should carry some weight in the state.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Seattle Husker

"Country Scholarships" never really existed. What did happen is the corporatization of farming and ranching. Gone are the family farms in which Dad can afford to have his son bypass a free education to school XXX to play for the Big Red. Of course, Bill Callahan was reknowned for showing up on campus and immediately questioning why he had 175 kids suited up on the practice field. Pelini and Riley turned that around somewhat but I'd argue the structural changes in the Nebraska economy and vast increases in cost of a college education may have have had an impact on the Husker walk-on program as much as any lack of passion. When I grew up in Nebraska every able-bodied boy dreamed of playing for the Big Red, even if only a few plays against directional U.

• Like Like x 1
  20. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

No to beat a dead horse Seattle, but yes they did. :deadhorse:
    The summer after my senior year in high school I was running in a national track meet and two of my roommates were from Nebraska. Both were going to NU in the fall on a county scholarship. In fact the coach of those two said that if my mother would move to Nebraska I would be eligible for one also. I had visions of grandeur of running for Texas so I told my mother, but said I didn't want to do that.

ou does the same thing with their merit scholarships on the academic side (well the ou version of academics anyway).

• Like Like x 1
  21. Seattle Husker

Those are academic scholarships that count against the 85 scholarship limit the moment a recipient steps on the field in football. They are no different than the local American Legion offering an academic scholarship. It would apply the same in any sport. My freshman football coach had a full-ride academic scholarship and was a walk-on TE. After learning that he'd have to give up any scholarship to get on the field for a single play he gave up football and became a tutor for the athletic department. I believe it's been that way since the late 80's at least.

22. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

This was 1969 and I know it was still going on in 1975. Those two were not academic specimens.

23. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Viper,

Seattle is somewhat correct. Osborne has 200-240 players on various kinds of scholarships when the limit was 125, then 110. Most were "projects" on the community scholarships. They pumped them full of steroids and used them as blocking and tackling dummies for three years, hoping to get two years of play out of the better ones. Classic example was Dean Steinkuhler, who neither the OC nor DC wanted. A few worked out, most did not. As an incoming freshman Steinkuhler weighed 240 and ran a 5.4 forty. As a senior, he was near 300 and sub 5.0. athletic

Hence, they were not on athletic scholarship until they made "varsity".

24. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

I never said athletic scholarship. The community scholarships were NU's way of stockpiling bodies and keeping potentials away from ou and Colorado (or sCUm in Nebraska speak). This enabled them to allow certain "almosts" to mature. In track it also allowed for full athletic scholarships.

25. Seattle Husker

Nebraska wasn't doing anything that other football powers weren't doing back then. In fact, they were investigated in early 80's with "no findings".

A good friend of mine and coach on my youth football staff accepted an offer to play TE for UT back in the day. As he told me "they simply wanted to keep me away from other schools back when 150 kids were on scholarship." He never saw the field and they later converted his athletic scholarship to an academic one but used the free education to do very well for himself.

26. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Yes, "back in the day" of 150 scholarships total and 50 a year, Coach Royal had plenty of kids on academic scholarships. One year he had three QBs on academic scholarships. It wasn't closely monitored and everyone did it.

That all changed in the 70s & 80s, when Osborne was cheating his *** off and had over 200 players. Of course, the kids on community scholarships weren't getting the red TransAms at the Bombay Bicycle Club.

Your school is to be admired for having the best fans in the country. If I ever find anything to admire about that classless piece of **** Osborne, I'll be the first to let you know. after I send him a note. Steroids ruining lives; cars; insurance annuities (I'm the guy that reviewed the $500,000 policy to an OL from West Texas); community scholarships; airplane tickets; throwing women down a flight of stairs - those are the legacy of DR Tom Osborne.

27. Seattle Husker

Walking away. I get it, you're the President of the anti-TO fan club. No desire to litigate this here.

28. HornHuskerDad

"ou" and "academics" are mutually exclusive.

• Like Like x 3
  29. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

That's OK. We pretty much know what kind of guy TO was without you litigating anything.

30. Seattle Husker