Scotty Pugh

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by 22 HORN, Jan 23, 2008.

1. 22 HORN

22 HORN 250+ Posts

He is the new coach in Granbury coming from Highland park......does anyone recall his high school career (perhaps Abilene Cooper) and where he played college ball...

2. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

He played high school ball at Abilene Cooper and college ball here.

From The Link

3. 22 HORN

22 HORN 250+ Posts

Tex Pete,,,,you aren't in or fom Granbury are you//

I remembered him from Cooper and I thought UT..but wasn't certain

4. Tex Pete

Tex Pete 1,000+ Posts

Nope. Played Granbury my senior year in HS. (at Copperas Cove)

We have a coach on staff at our HS now from Granbury.

5. HornFinc

HornFinc 250+ Posts

Scotty was a stud firstbaseman for Cooper back in the late 80s. He had a pretty good career here as well. Having Pugh and Calvin Murray in the same recruiting class sat very well with me back in '89.

6. TexLaw04

TexLaw04 500+ Posts

The 1987 Cooper baseball team was arguably the greatest high school team Texas has ever seen. Something like 7 of the 9 first-team all state positions were taken by Cooper players (David Tollison, Jason Satre, Pugh, Jason Marshall, etc.)

I'll never forget the state semifinal game they played against Brian Bohanon and Galena Park North Shore (it was at Disch-Falk). Cooper won, 1-0, in probably the best baseball game I have ever seen.

7. houstonearlers

houstonearlers 100+ Posts

Stud at Cooper and good at Texas. Couldn't handle the transition to the wooden bat, according to some of my friends from Abilene.

8. TexLaw04

TexLaw04 500+ Posts

9. austintexas

austintexas Guest

All-Conference 1990
    All-Tourney/All-Regional-1991

Guy had a sweet swing.

10. hook_em_jesus

hook_em_jesus 25+ Posts

I played football against this guy in high school. He could zip that ball back across the field like nobody I ever saw other than possibly Shea Morenz who played at San Angelo Central shortly after Pugh graduated... unfortunately they both still sucked. [​IMG]

11. Cowtown_Red

Cowtown_Red 100+ Posts

I hurt him in a JV football game.

He was a freshman starting for Cooper's JV. They weren't good.

12. TexLaw04

TexLaw04 500+ Posts

13. Longhorn Al

Longhorn Al 500+ Posts

I wonder what he did at HP anyway. Anyone know?

His title was Co-Offensive Coordinator, but everyone knows Allen does the play calling.

14. bularry

bularry 250+ Posts

I saw that Abilene cooper baseball team play, they were indeed fantastic. didn't they play an awesome series against Dunc before they went to state? I can't remember.

15. TexLaw04

TexLaw04 500+ Posts

16. TexLaw04

TexLaw04 500+ Posts

I stand corrected on some of those details. Here's a great article written about the 20th anniversary of those titles:

The Link

A few interesting tidbits:

17. HtownAg92

HtownAg92 25+ Posts

I played against that Cooper team when they were a Pony-League juggernaut called "Abilene Senior". I played for "Big Country East", which was comprised of players from the various small towns in the area -- Albany, Clyde, Merkel, Baird, Eastland. Abilene Senior had run-ruled its first few opponents in ridiculous fashion when our rag-tag bunch showed up to play. We held them scoreless for 4 innings -- a remarkable, Hickory-esque feat. Unfortunately, Pugh was pitching and was tossing a no-no. Surprisingly, for a kid his size and strength, he wasn't an overpowering pitcher. Relied on junk and deception, and it worked. In the fifth inning, the dam broke loose thanks to two infield errors (one by yours truly at third) that loaded the bases for the first of Pugh's dingers. The second dinger probably could have set a record for longest Pony-league homer in history. Score ended up around 14-1, with Marshall and a couple of other guys also hitting dingers.

Malone was their pony-league coach also. Team and coach played together for many years and built that monster Cooper team.

18. TexLaw04

TexLaw04 500+ Posts

Where did you live, Htown?

Little known fact about Pugh ... when he was a kid he was in a terrible car accident and was in a body cast for a long time (maybe a year). He was a year or two older than most of his school peers, and the PT and weight of the cast basically made him much more physically strong.