screwing up parental duties

Discussion in 'Quackenbush's' started by beam,coke,&horns, Feb 3, 2008.

1. beam,coke,&horns

beam,coke,&horns 100+ Posts

Last night at my friend's house, my 2 yr old fell off a slide and ended up with a concussion. We were at the ER til midnite. Doc wanted to do a cat scan to make sure there was no bruising or bleeding inside her head. Luckily, all that was ok. However, waking her up every two hours last night sucked. She wasn't really herself until around 6 this evening.
    I know you can't watch your child every second of every dau, but I still felt like I did something wrong all day today.

2. jimmyjazz

jimmyjazz 2,500+ Posts

I think you just drew the short straw. I can't tell you the number of times I've thought "damn, that could have turned out a lot worse". Luckily for us parents, kids are pretty resilient. Glad to hear yours is OK.

3. OrangeBlooded

OrangeBlooded 500+ Posts

(calling CPS)

seriously, glad to hear the kiddo is ok. When ours was 2, i "faked him out" by grabbing a ball right before he grabbed it and his head went into the corner of the wall. Nice gash and talk about feeling like a dipsh** parent...

4. netslave

netslave 1,000+ Posts

5. chuychanga

chuychanga 500+ Posts

My son is not quite 3 and has had two trips to the ER. One was for a raisin he shoved so far up his nose you couldn't even see it with a flashlight.

The other was just a couple weeks ago. He was hungry and I was busy feeding our younger son in the living room. I heard him open the fridge, which he's not allowed to do, but I decided to let it go. Ten seconds later he's screaming at the top of his lungs. He had found an opened can of Spaghetti-O's with the lid opened, but not completely removed. The lid was pushed slightly down into the can. He had stuck his finger down in it and tried to pull it out. Got himself a nice horseshoe shaped cut with a flap of tissue. I`had pressure on it for about 20 minutes, but couldn't stop the bleeding. So we went to the ER for a few hours and they superglued the flap back down. I felt like a turd. I couldn't even say, "See? That's why you shouldn't be in the fridge." because I knew he was in there and I just slacked off and let him.

There are lots of times we all know we have to be right there by our kids to catch them, but I would consider a 2-year old on a slide to be okay as long as I kept an eye on him. I certainly wouldn't normally put myself right under him every second. Don't feel bad. These things need to happen sometimes to help teach the kids what's dangerous and what's not.

6. mia1994

mia1994 1,000+ Posts

You are all very bad parents, and you should be ashamed of yourselves.

So this one time, I was picking up my daughter (she was about 3-5 months) out of her crib from nap. I thought I smelled poop, so I lifted her up to sniff the diaper.... and that's when I hear 'whap-whap-whap-whap'. I had put her within 6 inches of a ceiling fan and she tried to grab the blades. Did I mention I'm very very stupid?

7. hullabelew

hullabelew 1,000+ Posts

Beam&Coke, A young guy I know is a horse trainer. His parents are friends of mine folks. They have known me since I was born, and I have known the horse trainer all of his live. He had been riding a horse in their arena with his 3 yr old son sitting in front of him in the saddle. My dad did it with me, and I have done it with my kids. Horse was EXTREMELY gentle and had been ridden by young kids ALOT. My buddy stepped off the horse and was talking with his wife. Him on one side, wife on the other, kid in the saddle. The horse 'shook' like they will when someone steps off and the kid fell. The horse jumped to get out of the way and stepped on the little boy, who died a couple of days later.

I can not imagine the guilt these young parents felt even though they absolutely NOTHING wrong. The arena is right behind their house, so they have to see the scene of this over and over, every day.

Be thankful that yours 'survived' and hug them often.

8. Knoxville-Horn

Knoxville-Horn 1,000+ Posts

Geez. That's terrible.
    I think every parent, at one time or another, has to deal with an accident that happens on their watch. It's nothing to get too upset about.
    What sucks is when your kid gets hurt and it truly is your fault.
    When my daughter was 3, I'd take her to the park and kick a soccer ball with her. One time she got bored and climbed about 4 feet up onto a rock. I was - literally - about 35 yards away and I yell at my wife, you think I can hit her from here?
    I kick the ball in her general direction as a joke and nail her right in the side of her head, knocking her off the rock and onto the ground. I wasn't really aiming for her. It was a 1 in a million shot.
    I felt so bad. There were about 15 other parents at the playground that saw it all. Needless to say, I slinked off with my head down. She got lots of ice cream for 2 weeks.

9. BattleshipTexas

BattleshipTexas 1,000+ Posts

Wow, hullabelew, now my daughter isn't getting a pony and I am going to give her your name to blame for it. [​IMG] Seriously, I am adding 5 years to the ages at which they can ride horses.

10. NBMisha

NBMisha 500+ Posts

My oldest broke his femur playing soccer at school, in the first grade. So, he's in traction for a few weeks down at the Midland hospital. I had evening duty in his room, till the wife came back for sleep duty. Anyway, like a couple of asses, we're tossing the football back and forth in the room, the kid and I. Took about 4 tosses before I hit the traction cable with an errant pass. Lotsa pain. Talk about feeling like ****. The nurses were apoplectic.

We laughed about it about 20 minutes later, thank god.

11. Captain Murphy

Captain Murphy 250+ Posts

12. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden 500+ Posts

13. DAGMAR

DAGMAR 250+ Posts

14. Captain Murphy

Captain Murphy 250+ Posts

15. mary21

mary21 100+ Posts

Bad things used to always happen when my husband was out of state on business.

When my son was 2, his sister was playing ride the horsey on her lap....he fell off and broke a bone in his elbow.....it was very painful for him and he cried all night long for days...

When he was four, he was running with my neice and he ran right into the edge of the door....another emergency room visit and 8 stitrches in the middle of his forehead.

Months later, (ohhh this was my husbands fault)....he took him for a ride on his Harley...down the block and back.....comes back, puts him off the bike and my son backed up to the exhaust pipe with BOTH LEGS. 2 and 3rd degree burns.

1st grade - he is not an athlete AT all. The coach decided that he would allow him to play pitcher, although it was really consisted of standing on the mound next to coach. Ball comes rolling up to him, breaks his finger.

7th grade - again, not good in sports, but a coach stops him in the hall and asks him to try out for football because he was a big guy. 1st practice, breaks his arm.

My husband took him the following weekend on their annual hunting trip. He let him take the golf cart for a ride. Flips it, lands on him and he breaks the other arm. TWO FRICKIN BROKEN ARMS AND bruises and scrapes up and down his body.

Honestly, he had the worst luck the first seven years of his like.

He is now getting ready for college....i think i should hire someone to follow him.

Both my husband and I could not believe the luck he had.

But we realllly were good parents; the nurse however, wanted to talk to him "alone" because she thought we actually were abusing him. *****.

16. William Cannon

William Cannon 250+ Posts

So we're at Town Lake, right after we got a bike for my oldest daughter (3 years old at the time). Walking the trail was difficult because my daughter is learning how to ride - balancing with training wheels, turning, breaking, etc. So we get to a pretty steep incline and of course my daughter has a hard time going up. I was helping her get up the hill and realized that my shoe became untied. I asked my wife to hold on to the bike for me, while I tied my shoe. And she did..... for about two seconds. I don't recall what distracted her. I just remember the terrified look on m daughter's face as she rolled backwards down this hill. Half way down the hill the handle bars jack-knifed and she flipped over. Needless to say I was pretty pissed about having to carry the bike all the way back to the car.

17. DCLonghorn8

DCLonghorn8 250+ Posts

All of my kids under four have been to the emergency room. They all found their way at about the same age. I expect the younger ones will experience that right of passage as well.

All a part of the journey for them and for you.

18. zzzz

zzzz 2,500+ Posts

The first time I ever got on a bike my dad gave me a gentle push down a small grassy hill. My mom was watching. Then they both started yelling, "Turn! Turn!" as I coasted directly into a tree.

19. RoundhouseKick

RoundhouseKick 250+ Posts

20. Son of a Son

Son of a Son 1,000+ Posts

When my daughter about 2 or 3, I had picked her up by her arms (she was a very stout kid, still is). Stout or not, pop goes the elbow. We go to the ER, the doc takes about 15 seconds to fold her arm and rub her elbow and 3 minutes later it's like nothing ever happened. Anyhow, because I did this, she had problems with nursemaid's elbow happening from time to time just from playing. One night, date night for me and the wife, I get a panicked call from my Mother because Sha is favoring her arm and howling. I leave the wife at dinner, run home, pop the elbow back in (I learn fast) and proceed to go back to dinner. Mom said withing 2-3 minutes Sha was totally back to normal. It's amazing what kids can endure.

The other thing I remember is when she was 5-6 she came running outside as I was backing up to go to the store. I stopped and hollered at her and then she explained "I just wanted to give you a kiss goodbye" (insert uber-schmuck feeling here). So I kissed her and she ran back in. I pull out of the driveway and as I'm turning on the next street, I get a call "Shannon's bashed her head open and she's bleeding." I turn aroun, go home, and there's my wife holding a cloth to her head. She had run back inside, caught her foot on the welcome mat and fell headfirst into the corner of a wall.

The final thing I remember is walking out of the Disch one night after a Texas win. I was walking back to Fantasy Island and managed to step into a sprinkler hole and fold my ankle in half. The worst part is that Sha was on my shoulders and went flying. Sangre was there and scooped her up as I got up hobbled. She ended up being fine while my ankle swole up like a softball.

Kids are FUN! [​IMG]

21. William Cannon

William Cannon 250+ Posts

here's another favorite of mine...

so I came home from work early one day.... My wife was washing dishes (back turned to me and the entry). Just as I was going to say hello and announce my presence, I see my oldest (2 yrs at the time) taking out the biggest Crocodile Dundee of kitchen knife out from the knife drawer. So I snatch it out of her hands, and yell at her, “What in the world do you think, you’re doing!?” My wife turns around to see me yelling at our daughter while still holding our largest kitchen knife (coincidentally being pointed at her)… Since she didn’t see the first part of the chain of events, she thought I had gone mad and whipped out a knife on her.