Sean Sutton

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by Sgt. Longhorn, Jan 29, 2008.

1. Sgt. Longhorn

Sgt. Longhorn 100+ Posts

Not a good coach. I think James Dickey is the only reason they are having what little success they are having.

They play terrible defense at critical times. They look completely lost on offense. They pretty much just hack, hold, push, and block you and call it "toughness".

It's an abomination. OU is about the same, but at least they have some players will some offensive skills other than three point shooting and they run an offense of some sort.

Instead of bedlam they should have called that game boring. How can a game that comes down to a three point heave at the end be boring? Because it was basically a FT shooting contest for the last 10 minutes.

I wish I had gone to bed.

2. j.e.s.-U.S.

j.e.s.-U.S. 100+ Posts

Yeah, I was watching for a little bit, mostly because I was pretty sure a fight would break out. No such luck but Sutton sure does look like a stressed out coach.

3. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

I heard that after last night he's now 0-13 in road games. [​IMG]

4. OUEngineer

OUEngineer 500+ Posts

5. CadetHorn

CadetHorn 250+ Posts

He is a walking heart attack. And I agree with the coaching sentiments. I try to put my finger on what sort of offense they are running, but it looks more like pick up ball than anything.

6. Knoxville-Horn

Knoxville-Horn 1,000+ Posts

Yeah. If he could coach as good as he sweats. I feel bad for him.

7. Chest Rockwell

Chest Rockwell 1,000+ Posts

He looks like he's in way over his head. He needs to be coaching a school in C-USA or the WAC, not the Big 12. Maybe he can takeover for Eddie at San Francisco at the end of the year??

8. DeadHorse

DeadHorse 1,000+ Posts

The funny thing is that during the Eddie Sutton years, their offense wasn't very good either but at least it was somewhat organized. I watched that game last night and the OSU offense was basically to hoist up a 3 after 20 seconds. Lots of standing around. It looked like a Kelvin Sampson offense.

The thing that has changed since Eddie left is the defense. They used to have a VERY good man to man defense but last night OU's big men just dominated them.

Also, go back and look at their recruiting in the last 5 years. They've recruited well. Talent isn't the problem.

I agree on them hiring the wrong Sutton.

OSU has a pair of stressed out coaches these days. Gundy has shown some behavior that makes me think he's on a short leash as well. T-Bone must be throwing his weight around something fierce up there at Poke State.

9. woodog

woodog < 25 Posts

ouengineer is right:

1) blake griffin is a future lottery pick, and
    2) osu has lost a lot of players. they had the #1 recruiting class three years ago, and only two remain (eaton & harris). gone or never made it are g. green, brumbauh, flemmings, brown, et al.

10. Sgt. Longhorn

Sgt. Longhorn 100+ Posts

I'm sorry, but OSU is a badly coached team. The only reason I feel sorry for Sean is that he was set up to fail. His Dad didn't do him any favors by designating him his successor.

Pat Knight will struggle with the same thing. You can't learn to be a head coach at a Big XII school with any kind of expectations. OSU lost 5 consecutive games for the first time in 20 years.

If they had conducted a coaching search, good coaches would have been beating down thier doors to coach there. They are a traditional basketball school. They pretty much have to fire him.

He looks clueless and his team is an embarrassment.

Look, I coach kids. I know how hard it is to get them to do what you want. I know how hard it is to get them to understand the game. I know that talent is often the difference between looking like a good coach and an moron. Hell, my current team is 0 fer and hasn't scored more than 12 points in a game all year. Yet, I have had referees come up to me after 3 games this year where we lost by double digits and tell me my team is the most fundamental team they have ever seen at this level.

I understand the frustration and difficulty of trying to win with limited talent, but do you think anybody is coming up to Sean Sutton after games and complimenting his team on any aspect of thier game? They are inconsistent on both ends of the floor and continue to make fundamental mistakes.

He was out of time outs with 2:36 left last night in a 2 point game. I realize it happens, but it still raises red flags. They didn't understand the situation when they made the two free throws with 8.2 seconds left and didn't foul until 2.9 remained.

The biggest thing to me, is that it's clear when watching the bench that Dickey is doing the majority of the coaching. When the Head Coach is walking around looking like he is going to have a cardiac arrest, and pacing like a caged animal and the assistants are doing all the coaching, that says it all to me.

11. KosherHorn

KosherHorn 250+ Posts

No one besides OSU fans should want Sean Sutton out of the Big XII. He's the new Quin Snyder, only without the style. I don't see how one of his players can look up to him. It was obvious last year's team, which had far more talent (Boggan, Curry), rarely cared.

Blake Griffin may be the best player in the Big XII from ten feet and in, but I question whether he'll be a lottery pick unless he shows some signs of developing a mid-range game. Time will tell. He's great at what he does now, no question. For UT's sake, I hope he's one-and-done.

12. Bob in Houston

Bob in Houston 2,500+ Posts

13. Alex_de_Large

Alex_de_Large 1,000+ Posts

He's so outta there it's not funny. Can you say career assistant?

14. Sgt. Longhorn

Sgt. Longhorn 100+ Posts

Bob, I have to agree that the double team was outstanding and if they had accounted for the inbound man it would have probably been a turnover, but it's about discipline. If he didn't make it perfectly clear that you HAVE to foul if you don't get an immediate steal, then he screwed up.

If he did make it clear to them then the players made a horrible play or just don't really listen to him.

From what I saw on the sideline during time outs and other times, this seems fairly likely to me.

As for the run they made in the last few minutes, that demonstrates two things to me.

1. OU is not that good. The Griffin boys are solid, but their guards are not good.

2. They are more talented than they are getting credit for. Eaton took over that game at the end, but they still couldn't get it done.

What it comes down to is they make too many mistakes in critical situations and their body language is terrible. They just don't get it. They are good enough to be in the top half of the Big XII, but they are not playing good basketball.

Sure, they don't have a lot of offensive weapons, but they are very athletic and some kind of offensive direction would allow them to be much more successful. Right now they look like they are playing on a playground.

15. CadetHorn

CadetHorn 250+ Posts

You cannot blame Coach Sutton for those two players not fouling the OU player under the goal with a few seconds left.....its not like players are robots and the coach has the remote control.

16. GhostOfTomJoad

GhostOfTomJoad 500+ Posts

My okie state buddy thinks that Holder kept Sutton on board this year because he knew he wasn't a good coach & it would be easy to can him @ season's end & then bring in their dream coach, okie state alum Bill Self.

He also attributes Sean's profuse sweating & very unhealthy look to Sutton following very closely in his father's footsteps. Beverage consumption-wise, that is.

17. ERhine

ERhine 250+ Posts

Multiple times during the game they would cut to the sidelines and Sutton would be standing there sweating his *** off with a look of confusion on his face. When these camera shots coincided with a timeout, Dickey was usually whispering into Sutton's ear what to do, as Sutton continued to look over his head.

18. bullzak

bullzak 500+ Posts

Whatever people may think about Eddie, I dont know how you could be at his side for years and evidently not learn **** about college basketball.

That seems almost impossible if you dont have your head up your ***.

19. Sgt. Longhorn

Sgt. Longhorn 100+ Posts

ERhine. That's exactly what I'm talking about.

Then Sutton would stick his head in the huddle and shout for about 10 seconds, the huddle would break and Dickey would start talking to players while Sutton wandered off looking up at the scoreboard.

My assistant and I have an understanding about how we coach during games and I got that from every book I ever read about coaching. Every book written by a coach says pretty much the same thing. The Head Coach coaches is the focus and everybody else shuts up during team huddles unless asked a question or raising a question. The assistants then work with players on the bench during play on individual points while the HC manages the game.

I'm sure there are other ways of doing it, but I watch coaches a lot and I haven't seen it done like Sutton and Dickey do it very often, if at all.