Sears Lawn Tractor Parking Brake Stuck

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by Clean, Apr 20, 2013.

1. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

I parked my 6 yr old Sears DLS 3500 LT in the barn last fall. I ran it out of gas and all that. I put the braking brake on.

I go to start it six months later and the parking brake will not release. I've pushed in the clutch/brake pedal dozens of times, releasing and setting the brake, at least in theory, and the back tires will not move.

Any mechanical geniuses out there? I'm not. I can change the oil and air filter and that's about it.

2. Uninformed

Uninformed 5,000+ Posts

Try rocking it "slightly" as you release the brake pedal. If that doesn't work, find the mechanism underneath the tractor and spray it with WD40. To look you may want to get a block and lift up one side of the tractor. Hopefully, the mechanism isn't too rusty or a part hasn't broken. Clean the grass off the underside while you are at it.

Lastly, but highly unlikely, the transmission could be the issue. Some of the Craftsman transmissions are sealed. If they aren't sealed you can possibly remove the battery and the battery tray under the seat exposing the transmission fill hole. If it is empty fill it with lawn tractor transmission fluid.

3. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Thanks Uninformed.

I bought a scissor jack that is low enoughh to slide it under the tractor and jack it up so that I can get under there. I'll let you know how it goes.

4. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

If this was unsuccessful you should try WD-40. Apparently it will loosen stuck zippers so soak that sucker down and see what happens!

5. 14tokihorn

14tokihorn 1,000+ Posts

If you really want to go all-uptown, like, lubricant wise, then look into getting this stuff for everthing except the most light duty application. A lawn tractor seems as if you'd want to lube-then-forget-for-a-long-while.

the best also available in small tubes