SEC expansion beyond 13 imminent

Discussion in 'In The Stands' started by aUTfan, Sep 29, 2011.

1. aUTfan

aUTfan 2,500+ Posts

Scrolling across the bottom bar on ESPN, SEC states it is expanding beyond 13 "in short order". I guess Missouri is gone? (my guess) Or does others have more concrete news.

2. Santafe

Santafe 500+ Posts

This is bad news either way you look at it. The SEC says they're interested in Missouri, West Virginia, or Louisville. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to see the choice will either be Missouri or West Virginia. Now with this news, why would West Virginia want to join the Big-12? West Virginia won't join the Big-12 unless the SEC doesn't want them.

Our ship continues to take on water. It is only a matter of time until we sink. I'm not sure we can wait until 2014 to join the Big Ten.

3. XOVER

XOVER 500+ Posts

I'm right there with ya, santafe.

I hope we don't somehow get sucked into the Big East ..., er, I mean continue in the B12.

What a situation, though. Even West Virginia wants to wait before it gives any thought to the B12.

Pretty sad when MO leaves. I personally would like to get started in the B1G next year.

4. Santafe

Santafe 500+ Posts

Bear in mind that the presidents of the Big East member schools will discuss the future of the conference at a meeting this weekend, UConn president Susan Herbst said Wednesday. So, could this mean?

Big-12 = Big East (Western Division)
    Big East = Big East (Eastern Division)

Yes, I'm kidding, but it is not impossible (especially if Texas regains its sanity and leaves the Big-12).

5. coolhorn

coolhorn 2,500+ Posts

Bet the farm on West Virginia to the SEC...I don't have any inside knowledge, but just a hunch that Mizzou stays put.

6. slipreerock83

slipreerock83 100+ Posts

Time for Mizzou to s h_ _ or get off the pot. This is getting old...

7. Dr_Bob_Rio

Dr_Bob_Rio 250+ Posts

So if Missouri leaves, does Baylor sue both aggy and Missouri?

8. westexas

westexas 250+ Posts

9. H-D Rider

H-D Rider 1,000+ Posts

The Pittsburgh/USF game has been over for 45+ minutes now and ESPN has not had anything on it other than the update bar at the bottom... we'll see what shakes out!

No Expansion for 2012/2013
    "The SEC announced Sunday that Texas A&M will join the conference in July after leaving the Big 12. SEC Commissioner Mike Slive said later in the week that the league's presidents and chancellors are not currently considering any other schools for admission and that he anticipates having no additional members for the 2012-13 season."

10. HornSwoggler

HornSwoggler Horn Fan

I trust network banners, ADs, commissioners, fansites and blog facts concerning realignment about as much as I trust what a politician says......and that ain't much.

... from a card carrying dyed in the wool skeptic

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

11. HornSwoggler

HornSwoggler Horn Fan

^^^^

but that doesn't mean I don't enjoy hearing others thoughts on the subject or spewing forth a thought or two of my own. [​IMG]

12. kaiserhog

kaiserhog < 25 Posts

It is really down to Ken Starr's legal acumen to save this conference. That is a very perilous position.

13. Hook 'Em Danno

Hook 'Em Danno 1,000+ Posts

This guy gets it: Link. He recognizes that the SEC expanding to take Aggy and possibly Mizzou is all about getting a bigger TV deal and not because of their athletic prowess. Lots of great quotes in the article, such as: