SEC

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BALL IS LIFE, Jul 21, 2021.

1. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

This move to the SEC will boost our recruiting quite a bit. Not saying we had any problems before but playing against the best teams ever
    Texas can buyout for about $70-$80 million. From what I have heard the move may happen as early as 2022.

• Like Like x 2
  2. CreakyHorn

CreakyHorn 500+ Posts

So, if we do end up in the SEC, SEC, SEC then where will we focus all of this disdain. Oh wait, I think I know...

• Funny Funny x 2
  3. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

I bet we move and pay the penalties... I have a feeling that forming a super conference is a prelude to creating something even bigger down the road.

• Like Like x 2
  4. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

2025 is the year media rights deal expires but the way things are moving, I would be surprised if Texas and OU (sux) aren’t in the SEC for the 2022 football season. As far as LHN…

One potential hurdle to the move is the Longhorn Network. The contract between Texas and ESPN runs through 2031, and the university earns approximately 15 million dollars a year under the current agreement.

ESPN will probably negotiate a buyout of the remaining contract if it speeds the process along.

5. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

With the SEC Network being partnered with ESPN, I'm wondering if something will be worked out regarding the LHN. If the talks have been going on for six months already, I feel like the move will take place sooner than later.

• Agree Agree x 2
  6. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Agreed- according to 1 salty Big12 official, ESPN has been involved with the Texas/OU (sux) departure for months.

• Like Like x 2
  7. BALL IS LIFE

BALL IS LIFE 500+ Posts

From what I hear 4 teams are meeting with the PAC 12 next week. Iowa state possibly meeting with Big 10. From what I understand if 8 of the 10 teams agree to leave the league the there will not be a 80 million dollar buyout required. The only teams I hear that may be left in the dark at this point are Baylor and WV. I would imagine the ACC would take on WV. Don’t know what conference would take Baylor at this point with the off the field issues from the past. Regardless, we will be in the SEC in 2022.

• Like Like x 2
  8. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Baylor is about to get exactly what they deserve for the way they handled the Briles situation, among others.

• Agree Agree x 10
  9. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

I's be happy if their only option is the Southland conference.

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  10. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

I’m reluctant to go to Sunday School tomorrow and give my southern Baptist brethren a chance for trash talking. I think I’m the only UT grad in our church. Baylor and Tech and Frogs galore. I may livestream until this settles down.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  11. justabbfan

justabbfan 250+ Posts

From what I can glean from the Baylor WBB boards, they are suggesting that Mulky knew about this upcoming move, saw the writing on the wall and made the jump to LSU. Even if the UT/OU move to the SEC doesn't happen it's still a win for Mulky - she is able to be at home, greater financial resources, can still recruit in Texas, etc.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Sangre Naranjada

Why do you hate the Southland Conference so much?

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Winner Winner x 2
  13. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Baylor’s problems aren’t on the court—well not the basketball court anyway… :yes:

As an institution, they’re toxic, a real anathema to women’s sports, and collegiate women, in general.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  14. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Love it!

15. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

16. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

Rumors that LHN will become SEC-West with primary studios in Austin - I assume they'd just repurpose the current LHN studios. Possibly the best outcome especially for the athletes who specifically reference LHN as an opportunity to gain some exposure to sportscasting and sports journalism. One past player (Joyner) and an incoming freshman (Aaliyah Moore) come to mind.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Jacob Johnson

As long as every home game for every sport is being shown on TV like they were on LHN then I am good.

• Agree Agree x 5
  18. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

I don't think that's likely. If 2 highly ranked SEC 'West' teams are scheduled for the same time as a Texas home game vs Vanderbilt, not likely to be able to catch it anywhere except possibly streaming on ESPN+.

19. Jacob Johnson

Espn+ is also fine with me. As long as it's available somewhere and not just left out like a couple or the volleyball matches this season.

• Agree Agree x 3
  20. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

Remember, the GOR until 2025 is a non-issue if a majority of the conference - six schools - vote to leave. That's just four more. Each B12 school is currently planning life without Texas/OU and it's just a matter of time before four more teams seek a new home in the B1G, Pac12 or ACC.

I doubt there will be a B12 conference after this season.

• Agree Agree x 3
  21. Ellis21d

Ellis21d JediHorn

Unfortunately I am of an an opinion from the other side of the isle. I don’t believe either the Big10 or PAC 12 will be open to adding any additional schools to there current arrangement. It would first dilute their current share of tv money. Also the PAC 12 is in very poor financial shape to start with. Where is the incentive to add unless they could renegotiate there tv contracts and I don’t see that happening. Also where is the incentive for the Big 12 schools to leave when they can at least get Big 12 money for the next 5 years. The Big 12 will be around 5 more years unless Texas and Oklahoma want to buy themselves out at a cost of $70 million or so? Possible but I doubt that will happen.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Jul 27, 2021
  22. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

That's the bad thing Jacob about moving to SEC, we won't be able to view every Texas WBB game on the SEC Network. The SEC Network has a practice, just like Big Ten Network, to show every school equally so that no school gains an advantage in media exposure.

For example, there may be a competitive WBB game between Georgia v. Arkansas that is not being broadcasted. You turn on the SEC Network and they're televising sucky Mississippi v. Vanderbilt. All I can do is shake my head and switch the channel.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  23. Jacob Johnson

I hope CDC has a plan and worked something out with the SEC since this has been in the works for over a year because he is going to get a bunch of angry Texas fans in his mentions. Texas fans have absolutely no problem expressing their frustration with anything especially when it comes to not being able to watch sports:D

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. justabbfan

justabbfan 250+ Posts

Guess we will just have to hope that ESPN+ will come through for UT WBB.

• Like Like x 3
  25. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

Totally agree Ellis21d. Even though Kansas and Iowa State have contacted the Big Ten, it has been reported the Big Ten will not be adding Kansas or Iowa State. The Pac-12 has said they have been in contact with many schools but are not looking to expand. Just like you said Ellis, conferences don't expand just to expand. Prospective universities have to be able to increase the media payout per school for expansion to make sense. No remaining Big 12 schools does that.

Where the Big Ten media payout (before the pandemic) per school is about $55 mln, SEC $50 mln, the Big 12 media payout per school came in third, nearly $40 mln and it did not include third tier rights. Both the Pac-12 and ACC have given away their third tier rights to their conferences and are about $35 mln per school. The Pac-12 has mightily struggled with distribution of their owned and developed Pac-12 Network. The ACC is screwed because their media contracts are already stale, does not end until 2036, and the networks aren't going to throw money at the ACC without Notre Dame.

Therefore, the Big 12 media rights is still strong. I foresee the Big 12 existing at least through 2025 because it's still better than most conferences, including the AAC and MWC. When the AAC commissioner says their going to be active in poaching the Big 12 remainders, I laugh. Because of the television revenue, the Big 12 will poach AAC and other teams like Cincinnati and BYU.

Ultimately the Big Ten and SEC are so far out ahead compared to everyone else, I foresee in the future desirable Pac-12 and ACC teams will abandon their conferences and the Big Ten and SEC will be regarded as the AFC and NFC of college football.

• Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2021
  26. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

From my experience, the SEC games that aren't being shown on the "TV version" of the SEC Network are available on the "streaming version" through ESPN+.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  27. DFW_Horn

DFW_Horn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
  28. Zig72

Zig72 500+ Posts

Apologies....I cherry-picked sentences in your post in an attempt to summarize your key points.

I think you captured the nub of the predicament the remaining 8 B12 schools are facing. Yes, the current $40M per school payout is very lucrative for institutions like Iowa St. But what will the payout be post-GOR in the absence of Texas/OU? A third of that? How much will ESPN be willing to pay an 8-team conference with no top-tier football program and limited TV sets?

As you argued, "Prospective universities have to be able to increase the media payout per school for expansion to make sense. No remaining Big 12 schools does that."

What can the B12 do to react to this predicament? Expand? Who would want to join this weakened conference and bring the TV sets that would impress ESPN?

The "Little 8" has a Big problem. This is why Texas/OU enabled the conference to be viable in the first place. I may be misreading the situation, but the pressure to cut the best deal each school can - well before the money train stops rolling - must be on every school's agenda.

Perhaps the best solution is for the B12 to open negotiations with ESPN for a buyout of the present GOR for some fraction of what ESPN still owes in return for ESPN's validation of the new "B8"conference with a 10-year TV deal at a much reduced payout per school. It ain't much, but it's something.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Jul 30, 2021
  29. Sangre Naranjada

Too complex for that idiot in the Big XII commissioner's chair to wrap his head around.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  30. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Bob Bowlsby is a smart, honorable, honest, forthright, and wonderful rep for the B12. Just because he takes an opposing position on a issue.....doesn’t change that. I believe he has some justifiable points to be made in his role. I hope that both he and the B12 survive and flourish. Texas/OU in the SEC doesn’t change that. There is enough to go around.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • poop poop x 1