Senior Night: Texas vs ISU

Discussion in 'Women’s Basketball' started by BabHorn, Mar 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

#18/19 Texas will host #20/22 ISU Saturday when the Horns have their senior night game. Both teams have identical season (21-7) and league (11-5) records. They will be fighting for lone possession of second place in the league standings going into the conference’s final game. In addition to placement in the Big 12 tournament, placement in the NCAAs will also be at stake. In their last game, Texas will travel to TCU on Tuesday while ISU is at home versus Kansas on Monday. The Big 12 tournament will start on Friday, March 8.

The overall series, which started with a 79-60 Texas win in Austin on Jan. 06, 1983, is tied at 18 all. In all Big 12 matches, ISU leads 18-17 although the Horns have won the last four games. That matches the longest winning streak by either team. ISU has won four in a row from Jan. 05, 1999 to Feb. 20, 2001. Texas had two four game winning streaks, from Jan. 09, 2002 through March 10, 2004 and from March 27, 2018 through Jan. 12, 2019. A win by Texas would set a new record for wins in a row by either team. Over the last eight games, counting from the second WVU game which broke a three game winning streak, Texas has gone on a pattern of lose one-win one, except for winning two in a row in the middle of that streak. The Horns lost their last game out to Baylor, 35-64. ISU has won seven of the last nine but is one and one over the last two games, falling to Baylor 60-73 before scrapping by Tech 64-62. Oddly enough, that was the same score that Texas won by in Ames the first time Texas and ISU met this season.

Iowa State Cyclones (21-7, 11-5)
    The Cyclones are the top scoring team in Big 12 games. They have four of the top 30 scorers in the league in Bridget Carleton (#21, 6-1 Sr. G), #1 at 24.9 ppg, Kristin Scott (#25, 6-3 Soph. C), #9 at 15.7 ppg, Ashley Joens (#24, 6-0 Fr. G), tied at #21 at 11.4 ppg and Alexa Middleton (#33, 5-9 RS Sr. G), #29 at 10.1 ppg. Madison Wise (#1, 6-1 Soph. F), the fifth starter, is the fifth leading scorer at 7.0 ppg. 12.9 ppg of the team’s 80.6 ppg comes from their bench. Meredith Burkhall (#32, 6-3 Sr. F) and Inès Nezerwa (#15, 6-3 Sr. F) are the top bench scorers at 4.5 ppg and 3.5 ppg, respectively. Four of their top seven scorers are making over 40% of their shots. Scott has the best FG% at 59.5% (94-158). Carleton has taken over 100 shots more than Scott who has the second most FG attempts. Carleton is second best FG% at 49.1% (135-275). Burkhall (29-60; 48.3%) and Joens (64-147; 43.5%) are the other two Cyclones over 40% from the field. Scott has the best 3pt FG% on the team at 43.8% on 32 of 73 3pters. Carleton is second in 3pt FG% (40%) but first in 3pters made and attempted (38-95). Second in 3pters made and attempted is Joens (35-92; 38%). The other two 3pt threats are Wise (24-80; 30%) and Middleton (12-40; 30%). ISU is the only league team making over 80% of their FTs. Carleton has almost as many FT makes and attempts as the next four players combined: 91 of 105 FTs for 86.7%. That FT% is second only to Middleton’s 87.5% (28-32). Scott is second in FTs made and attempted with 31 of 36 for 86.1%. Wise is also at 80% on 12 of 15 FTs.

Carleton (8.4 rpg) and Scott (7.6 rpg) are one-two in rebounding, same as they are in scoring. Joens (5.0 rpg), Wise (4.4 rpg) and Middleton (3.1 rpg) make up the rest of the top five rebounders for ISU. Middleton (5.8 apg) and Carleton (4.3 apg) combine for 10.1 apg of ISU’s 16.3 apg. Rae Johnson (#4, 5-7 Soph. G) is third with an average of 1.7 apg. Middleton (3.4 TOPG) and Carleton (2.1 TOPG) lead the Cyclones in turnovers. Carleton also tops ISU in steals with 35 while Middleton has 16 steals. Scott with 14 steals and Joens with 12 steals are the only other Cyclones with double digit steals in league play. Scott (20 blocks) and Carleton (17 blocks) are the only players out of ten to reach double figures in blocks.

Twelve players have seen action in Big 12 games. Carleton, Joens, Middleton and Wise have started all 16 league games. Burkhall started the first five games with Scott replacing her in the starting lineup in game six. Scott has now started the past eleven games. Those six plus Nezerwa, Johnson and Adriana Camber (#13, 5-10 Jr. F) form the core rotation of nine for ISU. Three others have played in between three and seven league games. Carleton (35.4 mpg), Joens (32.9 mpg) and Wise (31.6 mpg) are the least likely to leave the floor. Scott and Middleton average 27 and 29 mpg, respectively. The other four players in the core rotation average between nine and twelve mpg.

Texas Longhorns (21-7, 11-5)
    Horns top three scorers are Sug (13.4 ppg), Joyner (12.3 ppg) and Danni (11.4 ppg). Fellow starters Jatarie and Destiny come in at 8.6 ppg and 7.8 ppg, respectively. High scorer off the bench is Charli with her 6.1 ppg average. Sug has the best FT% at 50.3%, the most made FGs (81) and second most FG attempts (161). Joyner is second in FG% (46%), second in FGs made (80) and first in FG attempts (174). Jatarie is third in FG% at 45.7% while Danni is third in FGs made and attempted (61-149). Danni continues to be the main 3pt threat as she has nailed 38 of her 84 3pters attempted (45.2%). Sug (10-31; 32.3%) and Joyner (7-22; 31.8%) are the other starters over 30% while Destiny is the second most prolific in making and taking 3pters with 15 of 51 for 29.4%. Only four Horns are making at least 70% from the FT line: Sug (43-53; 81.1%), Charli (33-40; 82.5%); Destiny (27-35; 77.1%) and Olamide (10-11; 90.9%). Joyner continues to be the best at getting to the FT line (29-62; 46.8%). Averaging at least two FTs a game are Jatarie (22-33; 66.7%) and Danni (22-32; 68.8%).

Joyner continues as the top rebounder at 6.8 rpg although Jatarie is closing the gap with her 6.1 rpg. Sug, from her PG spot, is the third leading rebounder at 5.1 rpg. Charli (4.3 rpg) and Danni (4.2 rpg) are also strong on the boards. Sug continues to be among the nation’s best with her 81 assists for 5.1 apg average. Joyner (27 assists), Danni (25 assists) and Destiny (19 assists) provide solid assistance in distributing the ball. Every player has at least five TOs with nine of the ten having 13 or more TOs. Joyner (59 TOs; 3.7 TOPG) and Sug (53 TOs; 3.3 TOPG) are the leaders in this category. Charli has nine blocks while Jatarie has seven blocks to account for 16 of the team’s 27 blocks. Those 27 blocks are last in the league, three below ninth place OU and 13 behind eighth place Kansas. Five Horns have registered at least ten steals in league play with Joyner (18) and Sug (16) at the top of the list.

The starters for the last five games have consisted of Sug, Danni, Joyner, Jatarie and Destiny. Olamide and Jada are the only other Horns to have started in a league game. Nine of the ten players are averaging in double digit minutes per game with Joanne (6.7 mpg) inching towards that mark as the season progresses. Danni (35.1 mpg) and Sug (32.6 mpg) are the mainstays in the rotation. Joyner, Jatarie, Jada and Destiny all average over 20 mpg. All ten active players have played in at least 12 games with Audrey having gotten into the least games due to an injury that saw her sit out three games.

LINEUPS
    Projected lineups are based on the previous game’s starting lineups.
    Screenshot (152).png

ISU’s posts will present a big challenge for Texas’ four posts. Of the three ISU posts, only Burkhall does not present a 3pt threat. ISU’s center, Scott, is their second best 3pt shooter on the squad. Wise can also hit the three. Carleton, when she does move to the four spot, is ISU’s best three point shooter. Texas’ posts can’t drop down and help inside when they are guarding an ISU post on the perimeter. I don’t think they can recover quickly enough to challenge at the 3pt line if they do try to help inside. Joyner and Jatarie inside will be difficult for ISU to stop although they are a good shot blocking team.

This is going to be one of the biggest backcourts Texas will face. Carleton will present challenges when she posts up, spots up at the three, drives and either finishes or passes to an open teammate. Help will have to come from other Horns already in the paint if she drives or posts up. For ISU, they will need to cover Danni’s quick release on the three and Sug’s ability to drive and finish at the basket or pull up for a short jumper.

Neither team was able to shut down the opposing top player in the first game. Carleton ended up with 20 pts, nine rebounds, three steals and three assists. Sug had 24 points, 10 rebounds, seven assists and one steal.

STATS COMPARISON—Big 12 stats only.
    Screenshot (153).png
    Screenshot (154).png
    Screenshot (155).png

Screenshot (156).png

Texas’ ability to hit their FGs and to keep ISU from making shots was the difference in the game as ISU forced 17 TOs in the game. ISU had fourteen more shots than Texas but made four less FGs. Their two more 3s made and four more FTs made just missed overcoming those four extra FGs by Texas as the Horns pulled out the 64-62 win.

ISU and Texas will run but the biggest difference is that ISU will launch, on average twice as many 3pters as Texas while the Horns will look to go inside to Joyner, Jatarie, Charli and Olamide. The ability of the Texas guards to hit some threes will be big as will not giving up many open looks to ISU.

This is a game that could go to either team. Texas is 5-3 at home while ISU is 5-3 on the road. The margin of victory for Texas at home is plus 5.9 ppg while ISU is a plus 5.4 ppg on the road. Texas is making 42.6% FGs (24.1 of 56.6) at home while ISU is at 42.5% (26.9-63.3). Texas has a better 3pt FG% at 35.5% at home while ISU is at 32.1% on the road. But ISU doubles the number of threes per game (8.8 of 27.6) to Texas’ 4.5 of 13.8 treys. ISU has a better FT% (85.6% to 71.9%) but Texas makes and attempts more FTs per game (14.4 of 20.0 FTs) than does ISU (12.6 of 14.8 FTs).This game will swing on the intangibles.

Texas fans will say goodbye to three senior players, a student manager and a student trainer Saturday night. Olamide, Jatarie, Danni, Tyfanny and Karla have all left their mark on the program during their time here.

Game time is 7 PM. The LHN will carry the live telecast while 105.3 FM will do the radio broadcast. WatchESPN will stream the game.

No. 18 Women's Basketball preview: No. 20 Iowa State - University of Texas Athletics
    Video: Women's Basketball Seniors press conference - University of Texas Athletics

No. 20 Iowa State Squares Off With No. 18 Texas In Austin - Iowa State University Athletics
    Women's preview: No. 18 Texas vs. No. 20 Iowa State | Hookem.com

Senior night to provide emotional farewell for three outgoing Texas women | Hookem.com

• Like Like x 2
  2. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

This is probably going to be the best game in the Big 12 on Saturday.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

Very concerned about this game.

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

Another reason to attend both games!

• Like Like x 1
  5. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

Texas must win tonight to secure the 2 seed in the conference tournament. Lose tonight and at TCU on Tuesday and Texas could fall as low as a 6-seed as one of multiple teams with multiple records.

MRED's tournament bracket generator: mred's Big 12 WBB Tournament Bracket Generator

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

You could say the same about ISU. Lose the next two games and who knows where they end up in the standings?

I am gonna enjoy the game, which should be a blast, before I start worrying about standings.

7. hoopsalot

hoopsalot 500+ Posts

BUT I don't care where ISU ends up. I am going to enjoy the game a LOT more if the Horns have a nice lead throughout.:) I've always enjoyed the bracket calculator although not as much since the conference was reduced to 10 teams. Oops,I need to get into my burnt orange and out the door or I am going to miss the senior day stuff.

8. cynt

cynt 1,000+ Posts

2nd Q and DOWN BY 20 POINTS!!! Let's go Horns!!

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. longhorn47

longhorn47 500+ Posts

Pathetic performance following the hammering in Waco

• Agree Agree x 5
  10. longhorn47

longhorn47 500+ Posts

Looks like this team has caught the "miss close-in shot" disease from MBB

11. DINO22

DINO22 1,000+ Posts

I just don't get it with Texas.

12. cynt

cynt 1,000+ Posts

Keep fighting TX. You got this. Down 11.

13. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Something has to shake.

• Agree Agree x 3
  14. texexted

texexted 500+ Posts

Senior Night meltdown.

• Agree Agree x 3
  15. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

well, that hurt. ISU just came out on fire in the first quarter. Texas had trouble buying a basket in the third but finished strong. Horns will need to start strong as well.

Winning at TCU is going to be tough.

Have to say I agree that Carleton should be the Big 12 POY and be in strong consideration for national POY.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  16. cynt

cynt 1,000+ Posts

:brickwall::brickwall::brickwall::brickwall:

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

S.O.S...

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. HornByProxy

HornByProxy < 25 Posts

Karen’s post game interview for LHN didn’t inspire much confidence either

• Agree Agree x 4
  19. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

I’m apathetic at this point. But something certainly needs to change with this team/program.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  20. racerx5908

racerx5908 2,500+ Posts

For next year:
    [​IMG]

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
  21. jusme828

jusme828 2,500+ Posts

I actually googled the same thing sitting in the Erwin Center at halftime. That was a horrid first half of defense.

• Agree Agree x 3
  22. loyallonghorn

loyallonghorn 500+ Posts

Turnovers and missed lay ups were problems at the beginning of the season.

Turnovers and missed lay ups are still issues at the end of the season.

Nothing's changed all season long. The only thing Karen Aston can say is, she's not alone in wasting McDonald's Alll-American talent, she's got Holly Warlick.

Let's kick the tires on Vic Schaefer.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  23. UTSUgrad

UTSUgrad 250+ Posts

I've watched the last couple of Baylor games and noticed this pattern: OSU (yesterday) plays well, contains BU until about 7-8 minutes into 2Q. Then BU goes on a run and is ahead by a few points at halftime. (Except against us - we choked from the beginning.) The BU announcer, former men's coach Jim Haller, always says words to this effect: "Coach Kim will make adjustments at halftime and they need to do A, B, C ..." When 3Q starts, BU does exactly what Haller said, quickly goes up by 20, subs are on the court and the game is over. I find myself wondering how this happens - not bashing KA and staff here, just marveling at how a really good coach (Mulkey) motivates players to run specific plays, to believe that if they do as she says, they will succeed. You know that every coach does this - but only the top teams execute as ordered/coached. Do players not listen? Not believe the adjustment is correct? Not trust their teammate(s)? Do only the teams with many superior athletes have the ability to combine brains/bodies to execute? All of the above? Whatever it takes, we don't have it this year. Expecting a loss at TCU, 1 win in the B12 tournament and a loss in NCAA 1st round. :brickwall:

• Agree Agree x 2
  24. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

What it says to me is that the players have given up on the coaching... out of frustration from getting beat repeatedly by teams obviously less talented but, even more obviously, superior coaching to their own.

25. texexted

texexted 500+ Posts

I don’t see evidence players have given up on the coaches. I just see coaches who don’t make adjustments mid-game - almost ever. Either they don’t know what to do or are too stubborn to change. We have an average coaching staff with above average talent - during a season that started with two critical injuries. All combined - the result is a mediocre season.

• Agree Agree x 2
  26. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Well, I see players who seem frustrated seemingly because of your aforementioned coaching ineptitudes. They keep getting put in positions to be beaten by far less talented teams. I never implied the players have given up in terms of EFFORT. I said given up on the coaches... as in having lost confidence in the coaching abilities.

The injuries we've had are no excuse for this season's mediocrity. Pretty much all teams deal with injuries... just ask defending National Champion Notre Dame.

• Agree Agree x 2
  27. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Agreed. I’m not going to talk about what I think that I see with players and coaches in terms of trying to read body language and guess what’s going on in a players heads because it can all be subjective. The bottom line is that Karen needs to upgrade the staff or upgrade her individual x’s and o’s.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  28. brnkj

brnkj 2,500+ Posts

Of course my observations are subjective... hence the word "seemingly." But go ahead, please... I'll let you have "first place" given your obvious expertise. :rolleyes1:

• Like Like x 1
  29. kurupt

kurupt 1,000+ Posts

Thank you. Just continue your obsession with thinking Texas is going to fire Karen and constantly talking about what you THINK is going on in players minds.:)

• poop poop x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2019
  30. Moooooo

Moooooo 5,000+ Posts

Nobody has given up, other than a few posters on here.

Not saying there aren't problems and deficiencies, but unless a player has actually told you the above, you are doing nothing more than speculating at one extreme.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.