Service Academies cheat

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by gecko, Dec 30, 2010.

1. gecko

gecko 2,500+ Posts

Throughout the season Ive seen numerous examples of Service Academy rampant in-game cheating. I attended the AF v Navy game in October and saw about a dozen examples. I saw a little of Army v Navy and saw it there again. Now today, watching Army v SMU I saw at least four examples.
    Since when is a team allowed to hand the ball to the full back
    in a short yardage situation...? This play should be penalized sort of like a chop block. There really isn't a dirtier play in football.

2. Horn6721

Horn6721 10,000+ Posts

gecko
    Damn straight!
    this must be stopped at once

Good catch of cheating!

Almost as bad as the opposing team's defense blitzing during a Texas appearance at a Holday Bowl several years ago

We must be focused. [​IMG] [​IMG]

3. orangecat

orangecat 1,000+ Posts

I know you're being sarcastic, but the stupid football linebacker analyst in today's game saw the Army QB block an SMU lineman below the waist in the backfield with nobody else around, and he called it a "chop block".

He seriously thought it was an illegal play.

4. tejas77

tejas77 1,000+ Posts

What's a fullback? [​IMG]

5. scharnell

scharnell 1,000+ Posts

was the fullback moving forward or sideways when he got the ball?

6. gecko

gecko 2,500+ Posts

I've seen them come up to the line and not wait for the defense to get set. They quick snap the ball and hand it to the full back. Complete BS. It should be a loss of down penalty.

7. orangecat

orangecat 1,000+ Posts

speaking of penalties, you might say Army should forfeit its win today because it committed 0 penalties and 0 turnovers.

That's right, a perfect game.

I wonder how many times that has been accomplished in a bowl game?

After x amount of weeks off, I would venture to say that the answer would be 0.

That is one thing the cadets had going for them today, their last game was less than 3 weeks ago.

8. hornyhoosier

hornyhoosier 500+ Posts

Imagine a team having the discipline of military service folk. Especially officers.

They may not have the best athletes, but the don't beat themselves.

9. orangecat

orangecat 1,000+ Posts

and, just to pile on a little bit, this was the worst of the three academies in football ability, imo.

They got killed by Navy, and Air Force is always a very good team.

I did see some of Air Force pushing OU around earlier this year.

Put it this way. If Army had a QB who had just tiny bit more passing ability, that Army team could've probably beaten SMU by 3 TDs.

They were just one-dimensional.

10. Oilfield

Oilfield Guest

I happen to know that they pay their players as well.

11. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

I think using a fullback, and even fast moving guards and tackles to lead a toss sweep is a legal manuever. I saw some footage of a play like that being run during an HBO special on the life of Vince Lombardi. He was an assistant coach at Army though, so maybe he just learned how to cheat and get away with it. Maybe we could get a new offensive coordinator and figure out ways we can get our most muscular offensive players moving fast towards the defense right at the snap of the ball.

12. Speedway

Speedway 250+ Posts

horny,

All the players for Army, Navy, Air Force will be commissioned officers when they graduate. while they are in school they are Cadets, Midshipmen and Cadets.

13. rivet

rivet 500+ Posts

And worst of all, all three academies use deception in their offensive schemes! What's that about? How do they expect their fans to follow their plays? They also have waaay too many plays to choose from. Academy players spend so much time perfecting those complicated plays that they have no time to perfect the jumpin and jivin that other college players exhibit after the play is over.

14. gecko

gecko 2,500+ Posts

Crockett - I disagree....if using the fullback and OL as you describe was legal wouldn't we be doing it...? What explanation would you have for us not...?

Also....I think the way their OLineman push the other team is disrespectful to the opposing players.

15. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Gecko: How dare you question my credentials?. I've been posting on Hornfans or Longhornfanzone for almost a decade and I watch football on TV at least once a week during the season. [​IMG]

16. coolhorn

coolhorn 2,500+ Posts

I'm no offensive coordinator, but I stayed at a Holiday Inn Express once, and watched a game on tv while I was there.

I'm not really sure what a fullback is, but if you've got one, I think it's illegal to hand him the ball. I'm also pretty sure it's against NCAA policy for o-linemen to run block. Therefore, those three are going to turn out officers who DON'T play by the rules.

17. Extra Large

Extra Large 250+ Posts

All of those guys get promised jobs after they finish school too. The NCAA should really look into that.

18. Oilfield

Oilfield Guest

We used the fullback ourselves back in '98. Also had some really good ones in the late 60's and early 70's. Its legal folks.

19. horn4jc

horn4jc 1,000+ Posts

Also, what's the deal with throwing passes north/south. I thought the rule was that the receiver must be behind the LOS when catching the ball while the other one doesn't move until the defender passes him. Also, are TE's allowed to catch the ball?

20. 426TPT

426TPT 25+ Posts

Please, please tell me your joking! Otherwise I AM F*%KED !!

See, I just got confirmation that my OC resume and bowl game tape were received in Moncrief. I know, I know, it's a little late, but I had a hard time finding our tape from the 2001 end of season "Everybody Goes To A Bowl" Bowl Game. My PeeWee team was 2-6, but we did hand the ball to the fullback. A LOT.

Now I gotta call and tell'em to disregard those parts.

Shat! I thought 2011 was gonna be better for me.

PLEASE! Tell me your joking!

21. kbrown

kbrown 1,000+ Posts

I just handed the ball to the fullback on my NCAA 11 and he scored from 40 yards. I guess it is legal!!