Shaka

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by James Street, Mar 20, 2021.

1. ut1969

ut1969 250+ Posts

There's a possibility we will only have 4 players returning next year. Then 3 new comers for a total of 7 players. It's going to be a rough season

2. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Does The Daily Texan still exist? (Is there one, not does it serve any purpose)

Put an add in it for players. It worked for DKR finding a punter.

• Like Like x 1
  3. L Robichaux

L Robichaux < 25 Posts

Sounds like next year will be like my Jr. year in 82-83. That year Texas had many walk-ons including a cheerleader.

4. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Yep! I agree with you. I would not want to be in his shoes having to make the decision. From my perspective, it seems to be a no-win situation either way.

5. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

Who knows UT might have a better roster next year. Lance Blanks, Joey Wright, Panama Meyers were all decent players who came to UT via transfer or JC.

• Hot Hot x 1
  6. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

Can we get Schaefer from the women's side to coach the men? I mean the man can coach, especially in the tournament.

• Winner Winner x 4
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

You mean I have to watch women's basketball? Just checked and wow, 6 seeded Texas made the sweet 16. At least we have one basketball coach who knows how to win tourney games.

• Like Like x 1
  8. old65horn

old65horn 1,000+ Posts

Indeed it does an is regarded as one of the best college newspapers in the country.

My granddaughter is going to be a journalism major starting next year, she told me.

9. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

This is what we Haven't seen on the men's side for a number of years. A coach who gets results that exceed the talent on the floor. CDC made a fine choice for the women.
    Will he do the same for the men's team? I think he will. Maybe not for 2021-2022, but certainly for the year after.

• Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  10. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

AND beat a 3 seed to get to the Sweet 16...

Not exactly revenge for Route 66 but now we also get to see if some Maryland demons can be exorcised...I don't recall if Bradley had ever done anything to tarnish the 40 Acres, but UCLA and Maryland damned sure have...

11. Vol Horn 4 Life

How interesting, I didn't even put it together that both men and women would have been playing UCLA for the chance to make the sweet 16. Would have been a neat thread if the men would have done their part.

• Like Like x 3
    • poop poop x 1
  12. Handler

Handler 1,000+ Posts

He gone!

• Like Like x 1
  13. TempestHorn

TempestHorn 500+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  14. Vol Horn 4 Life

I have a sneaking suspicion this was already known around the program. Now I hope CDC has his candidates in place and ready to make something happen.

Good luck to Shaka.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  15. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

I think the transfer market is going to be white hot this summer, including from teams still in the tournament. We need a coach that can convince transfers they can up their national profile at Texas. It is now a premier basketball conference, so I think Texas has a pretty good selling platform.

16. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

The University of Texas - We may not have invented outplacement, but we have perfected it.

Thank you to everyone who donated in Chop's name to the Marquette Coaching Fund.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 3
  17. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

This is basically the best path that both parties could have taken. Shaka gets a new job at a school that supports basketball in a different way than we do, and CDC gets to avoid the tough discussion of buying out.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  18. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Dear Marquette!

Thank you from the bottom of our hearts.

Sincerely,
    The Texas Longhorn Fanbase
    except Chop of course

• Like Like x 4
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  19. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

I assume we dont owe this jackass any money for next season right?

• poop poop x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]
    NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Funny Funny x 1
  21. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Well, Marquette got a steal. Shaka got poached by a traditional basketball powerhouse. We're thankful for the conference championship he brought us. Maybe that's why Marquette stole him from us. They got themselves a Top 15 coach. You have some success at Texas, and along comes Marquette as a poacher.

So long ol' friend, and happy trails.

:cow:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • poop poop x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2021
  22. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

If he wasn't fired here, that seems to be a voluntary departure...if anything, maybe we get some money back from Marquette as a buy-out.

Never mind that we would let him go for free...

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  23. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

Looks like his "platform" had a trap door. Good riddance to that loser.

• poop poop x 4
  24. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

I have a different take on Shaka (in contrast to Herman, who is a real piece of ****):

1. Shaka didn’t undercut CDC or the alumni regarding the EOT. I will be eternally grateful to him.
    2. He voluntarily removed himself from a job situation that wasn’t working (it happens). He saved CDC some heart burn and money.

In summary, outside of not being able to win ncaa tournament games (didn’t someone suggest he stick to the NIT?), Shaka has done a good job managing the program. I have no hard feelings against Shaka, unlike Herman who is a piece of ****.

• Winner Winner x 9
    • Like Like x 8
    • Agree Agree x 2
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2021
  25. Vino Bevo

Vino Bevo Wine - how classy people get drunk

Perfect summary for my feelings. Truly wish it would have worked out for him as don't think you could have a classier guy running the program, and I would bet his exit plan was influenced by his desire to do right by UT and not just jump to another program. I wish him well.

• Like Like x 7
    • Agree Agree x 3
  26. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

27. Chop

Chop 10,000+ Posts

Exactly right on #1. Game after game, Shaka had the basketball team standing proudly in respect as the EOT was played. Not like our football team last year (other than Sam and a few others for most games). Marquette will dominate the NIT for a generation.

28. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Totally agree. It sucks that he couldn't do better; not just for the University but also for himself. There is some class being displayed big-time on this one.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 2
    • Winner Winner x 1
  29. longhornlegend

longhornlegend 1,000+ Posts

This has to be the funniest thing I have read all day. If sub 500 in conference is a top 15 coach then the cupboard is bare. Really? I know you love him and not sure why but he is not a top tier coach. He is likeable and as others have said he is not going to say something embarrassing but he sucks as a coach.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Winner Winner x 2
  30. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

you can follow him at Marquette now. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

• poop poop x 8
    • Agree Agree x 2