Shaka's recruiting classes

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by dadrivr, May 19, 2017.

1. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

https://www.hookem.com/2018/04/27/t...-recruit-st-louis-point-guard-courtney-ramey/

• Like Like x 2
  2. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Somehow Shaka got Ramey!! Surprised and happy about this commit. After a point guard drought we are getting depth and skill at the position. Hooray!

• Like Like x 2
  3. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

I have to admit I was wayyyy off in my projection for Ramey. I’m glad we got him and I hope Shaka has a plan for getting him and Coleman quality minutes.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

He has to see how thin we are at guard and know that he'll get immediate playing time at a school known for sending lots of underclassmen to the NBA. I'm kind of hoping this frees up Coleman to not have to force so much in the half court sets we like to run.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Apr 30, 2018
  6. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

5-man class

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 2
  7. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

That’s a pretty fab 5. I bet that group is ready to run.

• Like Like x 2
  8. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

Ramey is a 6'4" point guard. That is serious size paired with serious skills at the point. A great addition. This will make Coleman even better. Roach (if he returns) is now relieved of any need to play the point. This should help his scoring and defense.

• Like Like x 3
  9. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

Ramey will be for us what Andrew was. With the smaller lineups I think Shaka will be able employ his brand of basketball; Iike we haven’t really seen yet with big centers (Jarrett and Mo) as the features.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

Nice pick up!

Whats with the hang loose hand sign and go horns? Shaka needs to send him a text or something. :smile1:

• Like Like x 2
  11. uisge beatha

uisge beatha 1,000+ Posts

I'm glad we're getting a legit point guard to replace Coleman when he gets in foul trouble instead of forcing Roach to assume the position.

• Like Like x 3
  12. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

I'd say it got a lot easier. Shaka wants to have two point guard types on the court at the same time, so it's not an either-or situation.

Nice to see that we might have some functional depth after what seems like forever. I've learned to wait and see - I've heard the story about incoming freshmen and how they're going to make immediate impacts, and I've seen the results, and as such I'm choosing to remain skeptical.

• Like Like x 5
  13. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

I think adding a guy that plays your position and has a higher ranking is always a threat to your job. I don't see a scenario where all of our guards (1's & 2's) aren't going to have to compete with each other for minutes, to some degree. But I do hope you're right; it's all speculative.

A little competition isn't necessarily a bad thing but I'd prefer to see schemes that utilize our assets in tandem vs. pitting them against each other, one more over the other; makes for better team chemistry all around. Coach Smart, once again, has a bevy of talented guys to work with. Let's hope he can make the most of it.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: May 3, 2018
  14. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

I'm also thinking Coleman's job got easier. Seems like there will be ample time for both of these guys.

Matt can settle down a little, not being the only true point on the team, and this might help him avoid foul trouble while helping improve shot selection.

• Like Like x 5
    Last edited: May 8, 2018
  15. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

16. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  17. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

:e-thinking:

• Like Like x 2
  18. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

:sigh:

19. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  20. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Well as Annie (Susan Sarandum) said to Nuke in Bull Durham, "Would you rather me be making love to you and calling you Crash or me making love to Crash and call him Nuke?"

21. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Shaka's first 2019
    4-Star shooting guard

• Like Like x 8
  22. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
  23. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

go to bed at 2 with a 10.... and she be gone when i wake up so we're all good.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  24. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

4-star 2019 wing/forward/C Kai Jones (6'10,205) announces tonight at 7pm
    Final 3 = FSU, Texas and Baylor
    Originally from the Bahamas, an honors student in hs

Jones fits the profile of several other recruits during head coach Shaka Smart’s tenure as a raw prospect with significant upside, but his profile is a little bit different. After coming to the United States in the summer of 2017 at 6’8, he’s now 6’10 following a growth spurt of five inches that transformed his potential as a basketball player.

Now he’ll benefit from a postgraduate year at Brewster Academy following a state title run at Orlando Prep. Jones hopes to grow his game in New Hampshire.

“I’m working on all aspects of my game, especially my jump shot and strength. I work on my shooting every day and I’m working towards being a great shooter,” Jones told Prep Hoops in June. “I also what to improve my basketball IQ that comes from watching more film and playing more games considering that I’ve only been playing organized ball for two years.”

4-star big Kai Jones names Texas in his top 3

• Like Like x 3
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2018
  25. BabHorn

BabHorn 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 3
    • Winner Winner x 2
  26. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  27. caryhorn