Shaka's recruiting classes

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by dadrivr, May 19, 2017.

1. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

No way Brown comes to Texas. No logical reason to jump on the Titanic when you can go get a year of NBA development under coach Cal.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  2. Walking Boss

Walking Boss 2,500+ Posts

Does the topic of this thread even matter anymore? I think not. Whatever talent Smart recruited he can’t do anything with.

• Agree Agree x 4
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  3. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Shaka has recruited solid talent, but he's hasn't been able to do much with it. Also,
    including this season, Shaka hasn't had a winning record in conference play the last 4 seasons:

2015–16......20–13.....11–7
    2016–17......11–22......4–14
    2017–18......19–15......8–10
    2018–19......21–16......8–10
    2019–20......12–6........2–4 (as of 01-22-2020)

Is there anybody that is really satisfied with this and believes he's doing a great job? If so, please enlighten us.

4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

I think he is the 4th ever Austin area Parade AA and I think we got the other 3 (we gonna miss this one though)

5. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

He probably is not coming to Texas anyway and just wants to make sure we will not be any type of threat to wherever he ends up going.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. Walking Boss

Simply doesn’t matter what if any recruits are lost if Shaka is shown the door. Shaka is the problem and even were Brown to come to UT what difference could he make standing in one spot at the 3-point line or driving one on five? Fortunately, If CDC makes the right hire, the program can be turned around in a couple of years. That, however, is easier said than done. But staying the course with Shaka simply can’t be an option. It has been a slow descent into basketball hell that has picked up speed.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  7. Vol Horn 4 Life

Vol Horn 4 Life Good Bye To All The Rest!

LOL, Greg Brown isn't committed here. Why would dad get out there with statements like this? I might care more if he were committed, but surely he already knows Shaka's days are numbered. One recruit does not secure a head coaches job.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  8. txlandagent

txlandagent 500+ Posts

No chance Greg Brown was ever coming here. IF we had any chance of landing him (and we don’t) regardless of Shaka, he’s one and done. Texas wouldn’t have been a good fit for him for the one season either way. If he has any sense he’ll go to Kentucky. He’s probably already better than most of the freshman PF’s they have right now and will get development for next level.

• Funny Funny x 2
    Last edited: Feb 1, 2020
  9. Vol Horn 4 Life

So what am I missing here? Do we not have any roster openings or do we suck so bad no one wants to come here or did Shaka just decide to give up since he's missed on every single offer so far? No signees for 2020, no commits and only 4 offers out there to players who clearly won't come here. I think he must have been told he's done otherwise wouldn't more offers have already gone out?

10. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

Yeah I think he's scuttling the ship as long as everyone knows the writing is on the wall.

Our inability to nab recruits (especially guards or shooters) is what's killing us in 2020, but it'll take several more years to recover the mess Shaka created. We're going back to square one and starting over with a limited roster in 2021, and hoping we can just catch a break with some recruits.

Another problem that no one seems to mention is that we're still a little under the microscope since the Eric Davis & Prince Ibeh violations. We can't get anyone because we can't cheat as well as teams like Kansas.

11. Walking Boss

Interesting that Quentin Grimes is now at UH. Didn't he originally come down to KU and Texas before signing with KU? Maybe KU blocked any transfer in conference, but if not it seems telling that he saw what Shaka had to offer in coaching (nothing) and went to play for Sampson.

12. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

13. Omniscient.one

Omniscient.one 500+ Posts

Noticed Brown took an unofficial after his other visits. We might have an outside chance. Him, Kai, and Sims would be a mini-Phi Slamma Jamma

14. flash34

flash34 1,000+ Posts

Today on the national Rivals site, Brown's possible destination was changed to Texas. Seems like there is a lot more optimism that he will commit to the good guys.

• Like Like x 2
  15. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

staying close to home? zombie apocalypse makes you think more...

• Like Like x 1
  16. Jacob Johnson

Jacob Johnson 2,500+ Posts

Well since everyone in here is so negative. I am going to say Greg Brown commits to Texas. Since this is our only target I am positive shaka is doing everything he can to bring him to Texas. Shaka knows if he misses out then it will most likely cost him his job. One thing I know Greg surely loved was when Texas students went to his game and held up signs saying "please come to Texas" so if Texas gets one big name out of the portal and Greg Brown commits then this upcoming season might do us all well:hookem:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Jacob Johnson

Not good news but not the end of the world. We looked strong defensively in the beginning of the season but not very good toward the end so this is the time to bring in a strong assistant who knows it all. I don't know assistant coaches name but I know there are some

18. Omniscient.one

Omniscient.one 500+ Posts

Add two more CBs yesterday. Yessir!

• Like Like x 1
  19. Jacob Johnson

I know Texas has one more scholarship to give and I know there are a lot of big names in the transfer portal. Anyone know who we are looking to get or have contacted? I have not been able to find anything or heard any news

20. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

• Like Like x 4
  21. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Brown said he would only come to Texas if Shaka is the coach.
    It was just announced that Shaka will remain coach.
    I think Brown is a Horn.

• Like Like x 5
  22. Vol Horn 4 Life

I would normally get really excited, but I know he'll only be here for a year, we'll under utilize him and only win 17 games again.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Disagree Disagree x 1
  23. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

It's ok to get excited. I do it for football every year only to be disappointed. ;)

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  24. X Misn Tx

X Misn Tx 2,500+ Posts

i'll get excited for a year. then he leaves. then we can plan long term.

25. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Who cares if Brown comes or not?

Shaka Smart 247sports.com national team recruiting rankings:
    2015: 18
    2016: 6
    2017: 6
    2018: 8
    2019: 17

Shaka Smart NBA draft picks (1 and dones):
    2017: Jarrett Allen - Texas went 11-22
    2018: Mo Bamba (lottery pick) - didnt win 20 games, lost to Nevada in the NCAA Tournament
    2019: Jaxson Hayes (lottery pick) - went 16-16 then didnt even play in the NIT Shaka won.

1. Shaka Smart has never had a talent problem. It has to be some sort of achievement to have recruiting classes like that and never win an NCAA Tournament game in 5 years or ever get to 21 wins in the regular season a single time (or never get to 22 wins including the postseason).

2. I remember T.J. Ford, Royal Ivey, LaMarcus Aldrige, P. J. Tucker, Daniel Gibson, Kevin Durant, D.J. Augustin, Tristan Thompson, Jordan Hamilton and Cory Joseph actually doing things here (and all winning at least 1 NCAA Tournament game). Jaxson Hayes, Mo Bamba, Jarrett Allen and I'll even reach back to Myles Turner did nothing here and achieved nothing. Like, who even cares the later bunch played here? They just fooled around here a year with an uncompetitive coach, then went onto the NBA. It is meaningless.

Based on 1 and 2 above, I do not know why I should even care about Greg Brown or why it matters. He'll piddle around here year, at best lose in the first round of the NCAA tournament, achieve nothing, then go onto the NBA. The only winner is the NBA. We'll win only 19 games unless we end up in the NIT. I would rather have a coach with a prayer of winning an NCAA Tournament game than Greg Brown.

Finally, there's been smoke around Texas basketball recruiting since Shaka got here. It makes no sense anyone wants to come here and lose for a year. Will Wade, Smart's former assistant during his final four run at VCU, has been caught as the head coach at LSU as one of the biggest cheaters in college basketball. If we get Greg Brown, I am going to have a hard time believing Shaka Smart is not cheating his butt off... which makes his inability to win even sadder. At this point, I just hope nothing comes out and we do not get any NCAA sanctions from the Smart era. Greg Brown just seems like added liability as far as potential NCAA sanctions go.

• Disagree Disagree x 3
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2020
  26. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

I think part of the "it makes no sense to go to X school if you're not going to win" is defeated by what prospects see as a route to the NBA. They basically don't even play HS ball any longer the way AAU controls them. So why should college be seen any differently if the goal is the league?

Playing for ANY college for a year with their nearly-limitless resources, workout facilities, practices against decent players, free food, TV time to help draft stock, etc. It's why Bamba and Turner came to Texas.

Now, if we wanted to become Duke or Michigan State or something like that, we'd need a complete change in philosophy.

• Agree Agree x 1
  27. Horn87

Horn87 1,000+ Posts

[Now, if we wanted to become Duke or Michigan State or something like that, we'd need a complete change in philosophy.[/QUOTE]
    man, if that was the case--hell yeah!! but we all know that is not going to happen...:rolleyes1:

28. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

While I like to win and would like to go to another Final Four, the monetary difference in that & now is maybe an additional $3 million.

29. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Down to a final 3

• Like Like x 2
  30. Vol Horn 4 Life

yay. I'm so excited.