Shane Buechele

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by 1963_Frosh, Sep 2, 2017.

1. 1963_Frosh

1963_Frosh 250+ Posts

Who here thinks Shane Buechele is capable of being an above average Division 1 QB? All I read is, “He’s an accurate passer,” but I guess I don’t see the upside given his physical talents. And why the heck did we abandon the wildcat in the fourth quarter when we desperately needed a fourth down conversion at midfield? Shane isn’t going to scare anyone with his running ability.

• Like Like x 1
  2. Driver 8

Driver 8 Amor Fati

I was thinking the same thing today. Shane can make some nice deep throws when he gets protection and an open receiver, but beyond that I don't know of anything solid he brings to the game. I wish it were different.

I was wondering why we didn't run Heard out there to QB in the 4th quarter when it was clear we needed some playmaking ability that Shane does not possess, or more of the wildcat to keep them guessing. It's like there is a hard headed determination by the coaches to keep forcing the same crap that isn't working.

3. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Last year I would have said yes early on. Today he looked as lost as the entire team and staff. He put too much air under a lot of throws and threw up several ducks. he had hardly any time to throw, granted, but he just didn't look good IMO. I am not confident in him or the rest of the team.

4. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

His throws are also a second late or a step behind. Receivers rarely catch in stride

• Like Like x 2
  5. horninchicago

He seemed to be dinged early. Maybe the sack that was probably a safety that we got a lucky spot on. He was injured all last year. Might as well put Ehlinger in.

• Like Like x 2
  6. MudHorn

MudHorn Admin Moderator

Buechele is not a championship level college QB, nor will he ever be, I think. We need a guy who is threat with his legs as well as his arm.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Desperado

Desperado 1,000+ Posts

I think Shane is more than capable. His problem is he is stuck in a pass happy offense that doesn't produce. Until we get an OL that knows how to run block, we're going to end up with the short end of the stick.

• Like Like x 3
  8. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

What ??? Guys I disagree. I thought Buchelle made great decisions today. I thought he along with the WR were the bright spot.
    Spoiler alert, I am not on the coaching staff, but I was surprised UT never established the running game.

• Like Like x 5
  9. horninchicago

I saw him throw into double coverage several times, force passes instead of throwing it away, and not running quickly enough to avoid the rush. Great decisions besides all that.

He had some good plays but he has regressed.

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Sep 2, 2017
  10. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

I recall one play where he ran out of bounds a few yards short of the line of scrimmage. Why not just throw it away? Not why we lost, but I want football IQ to be better

• Like Like x 3
  11. horninchicago

I think he is hurt already after the first series. Announcers said early on he was hurt all last year but never let on that he was. I know the play you mean. Scrambled and lost yards. Seemed very timid.

12. Badass

Badass 2,500+ Posts

Bama QB gets it, throw it away if rolling out and it's not there

• Like Like x 1
  13. Buck-Horn

Buck-Horn Guest

^^^^^^^^^
    Have thought this all along. I was thinking TH might go to Ehlinger as a way to change the pace & create some energy. Shane is one of these QB's that keeps me on the edge of my seat each time he takes a snap...very unpredictable & inconsistent. I'm am just not a fan. He's a great kid who plays hard, but just does not have the IT factor as DKR would say!

• Like Like x 1
  14. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

The kid can throw the ball and can hit his target he proved that last year until he got injured. He did look at little off to me today he held the ball to long and wasn't throwing guys open more at them but I'm assuming this system is a little complicated for him compared to gilberts spread he learned last year. I said on a previous thread when TH got hired I thought shane wouldn't be able to run a Herman offense not saying he isn't a good qb because he is you don't throw for right under 3,000 yards as a freshman and not have talent. Also remember we don't have a 2,000 yard rusher in the backfield either so I wouldn't be shocked to see other teams make us beat them in the air. I really would like to see sam redshirt but if they are not willing to give Heard a shot they might have to play him because he is more of a runner

• Like Like x 1
  15. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

34/52, 375 yards, 3 TD, 1 INT (on a smart move that was identical to a 50 yard punt). And that with crappy blocking most of the time.

• Like Like x 7
  16. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

2 TD and most of the yardage came from screen passes and 43 qbr

17. StructureDude

StructureDude 100+ Posts

I'll give him a mulligan on this one. Zero run game other than him "running" for his life most of the game. He made some poor decisions but he was probably a bit punchy after the hit on the first series. Mary embarrassed the horns o line and boo did the best with what he had.

• Like Like x 2
  18. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Buechele gets at least a B from me, maybe better. The coaches get an F.

If we could have stopped the run we would have won today.
    If we could have blocked anyone today we probably would have won.

For the most part, Buechele did his job. Starting with Herman and Orlando, many didn't.

• Like Like x 3
  19. Statalyzer

Statalyzer 10,000+ Posts

Ah yes, 1 of the TD was his rushing TD.

20. TEXnSEATTLE

TEXnSEATTLE 1,000+ Posts

no IT is correct.....ugh...

21. NRHorn

NRHorn 2,500+ Posts

I grade the fans C-

22. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

How many of you were at the game rather than watching the piss poor camera work of Fox?

Buechele constantly missed open receivers, not with the football, HE NEVER SAW THEM! Multiple times he had men open and didn't throw to them.

Several times he had a receiver open and held the ball one or two counts too long

His best pass may have been the one Foreman bailed him out on.

He looked like he was playing hurt.

His OL forgot to show up. Our first round NFL pick should change his name to "Whiff" because that's all he did today. The only two times he won, he got called for holding, but like I told the people sitting with us at least he finally touched the defender.

• Like Like x 2
  23. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

he is sort of Chris Sims-ish.
    And I liked Chris Sims a lot.
    But not the kind of guy who is going to snatch a victory from the jaws of defeat. As the game drew on, and the opportunities grew scarcer, I had less and less confidence in him.

24. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I disagree. yes he wasn't perfect and yes he did miss seeing some open receivers but he was running for his life alot.

• Like Like x 2
  25. Pomspoms

Pomspoms 5,000+ Posts

I have stated this before. I wish we would do that back shoulder throw or act like we are going for a long throw and then immediately put on the brakes. a well thrown ball and its a first down. And then go deep sometimes. course if the OL is not blocking well, then it might not work consistently

26. LousianaHorn

LousianaHorn Kabong

First series was a microcosom of the whole day.............mostly this is on the piss poor shape talent wise especially along the line of scrimmage that 3 years of CS recruiting left us in. Until we can at least COMPETE on both side of the LOS we will struggle to win. #55 was no where NEAR All-American yesterday.

27. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

This is all true he missed so many open guys it's like he looked at his first read and stuck with it no matter what's and when he did have time to make the throw down the field he overthrew the guy which I thought was weird because deep balls are his thing. He didn't lose his touch last year until he got hurt maybe he isn't 100 percent now.

28. beijinghorn1

beijinghorn1 500+ Posts

I was not at the game, but what I saw on TV was an impossible situation for any QB to handle: No running game, no time to pass (often times from a 3 man rush), and penalties that killed too many drives. The offensive line got completed dominated all day, so I struggle to see why the post is not called offensive line instead of Shane Buechelle.

• Like Like x 3
  29. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

He was able to throw for almost 400 behind that crappy line most came from yac of course but had he been on his a game he would have went over 500. The flags stole a lot of our good moments and not even trying to run the ball made it easier for them to just sit back and play the pass he is only a sophomore and in his second system that isn't as easy as the first he learned I'm not trying to crap on the kid at all but they may have put too much on him this game I mean cmon he had more rushing attempts than our running backs combined that is not his strength and if that's what they will ask of him he won't last long. Look at the pop he took which some think was a safety I couldn't tell because I don't think they replayed it on the screen at the game but porter was wide open in front of him in the flat didn't give him the ball. He missed maps wide open corner endzone on another series and tossed Colin streaking down the sideline after he beat a guy out of bounds and another over I think it was colins shoulder and out of bounds. The one he got to armanti was all him he turned back and caught the pass. Was it his best outing no way, was he put in the best place to win no but hopefully they learn and correct it and we kick *** the rest of the year

• Like Like x 1
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2017
  30. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

I can't believe some of you are bagging on SB after that game. We have so many problems, QB play is not even in the top 5 for me. SH I was at the game.

• Like Like x 9