Shane Buechele

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by 1963_Frosh, Sep 2, 2017.

1. KBBAKER

KBBAKER 500+ Posts

On a scale of 1 to 10, Shane is a 6. Swoopes was a 1. McCoy was a 10. I agree that you shouldn't build an offense around any QB rated lower than an 8. However, it really doesn't matter when your defense gives up 51 points! I'm not going to start worrying about Shane until our crappy defense starts holding teams to 20-25 points per game! I'm afraid that every defensive player on this roster must be a bust. I don't care who is coaching this group, at the end of the day, simply tackle the man with the ball!

• Like Like x 2
  2. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Phil, et al,

Most of the time Shane was running for his life, but there were multiple times where he had receivers open, no one in his face, and he held the ball too long allowing the DB to recover. At least twice, if he throws the ball on the break it is a TD, their safety is completely out of position, but he never read the coverage, and didn't throw the ball to that WR.

He is the best we have, will be the best we have for two years, and I support him, but I expected Herman to make him into a better QB, and he is not. Maryland is not a good team, certainly not top half of the BigTen. I personally thought he looked like he was playing hurt.

• Like Like x 2
  3. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

@SabreHorn I agree, looks injury prone thanks to his NO-line. I think he was hurt on the first sack.

4. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

I have never felt SB would be among the top elite Qbs but this loss wasn't on him. He played as he usually does - give him time he can hit a receiver but for whatever reason he is not precise on timing routes, which I do not understand. I expected lots of quick slants but I guess the pressure by just three enabled their LBs to sit on them. But what I'll never understand is why we were unable to run on them and why Warren did not get more of the few runs we did attempt.

• Like Like x 1
  5. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

Failure to read defenses indicates that either he is a poor student of the game (I have no reason to believe) or that he was prepared properly (which I am suspecting). Gilbert would not let him throw to the middle of the field, but Herman said he could make all of the throws.

• Like Like x 1
  6. PecosBill

PecosBill 1,000+ Posts

I was at the game and thought SB did a solid job in spite of the OL line play. Many times a 3 DL rush put pressure on the 5 OL. That leaves 8 in coverage.

7. 22Horn

22Horn 500+ Posts

When he was hit at the one that Maryland eventually turned into points, it appeared he had a back out of the backfield and clear from the line that he could have hit.....definitely would have altered field position, might have saved points and possibly the outcome of the game. That was the point the momentum went to Terps.

8. VYFan

VYFan 2,500+ Posts

I think he rung his bell on that play. It was head to head and he was never himself

9. horninchicago

Agreed.

10. gahornphan

gahornphan 500+ Posts

We just need to play better.

11. LtSwtCrude

LtSwtCrude Guest

edited by member
    I now know Shane was banged up late in the game.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 4, 2017
  12. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

I would play Heard some just to get his feet wet at the position again and then let him loose on usc not give him the entire game but mix it up like charlie did with Shane and swoopes last year against ND make them stay honest but only if they fell like Heard can make the throw when they need him to

13. Buck-Horn

Buck-Horn Guest

Sabre,

Not sure we know yet if he is the best we've got for the next 2 years. I want to see Ehlinger in action before we decide that question. Not to mention, we have a few QB recruits coming to the 40 in 2018. Aggy doing pretty well right now with a Freshman QB!

I agree with most posters here that Shane is an average college QB....plays hard and occasionally makes plays. I'm a huge fan of the dual threat QB...very few elite programs today use the NFL prototype QB....and Shane is neither. Either give me a QB that is a bonafide dual threat (my pref) or give me a QB with elite NFL passing skills. Just don't give be me a QB who is average at both. The Shane's of college football are all to common!!

Buck

14. mb227

mb227 de Plorable

Shane has GOT to get some of those throws down a little bit or he is going to be the root cause of a seriously injured receiver. When they have to go up high and off the ground to snag the ball, they are not only defenseless but ALSO are not going to be able to get any additional yards after the catch.

Touch on the deep ball ALSO does not seem to be there. Multiple times, he was at least five yards beyond his receiver. If the touch isn't going to be there, then they may as well just run the ball up the gut and hope someone is capable of breaking the big one...

15. nashhorn

nashhorn 5,000+ Posts

This may sound irrelevant to you experts but I've always noted that Shane give a piss poor fake on play action. Since making the observation I have watched others (good Qbs on good teams) and I think I'm right, his fakes are not going to fool anyone and certainly not going to hold a good LB. Am I wrong, too critical? Or is this an stupid criticism? Important or not it has always bothered me, seems an easy fix if anyone thought it important.

16. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Buck,

All true, but I'm not sold on Sam's durability, I hate to throw a true freshman to the wolves. To do that, the kid needs to be in school in February.

As for the Aggies, the kid from Argyle looks great, but he has a dominating OL, while Shane's OL wouldn't scare half the 5A or 6A schools in Texas. He also has a really good RB made better by that OL. I hate to think what that kid will do with Fedora coaching him. If they fire Sumlin, the kid from IMG will leave.

I agree about the QB position and wanting a a dual threat., at least until Herman gets an OL and another Foreman.

In Shane's favor is the nearly twenty year tradition of our WRs never helping the QB out when he's running for his life. They never look for an open spot, come back to the QB. Yesterday, Buechele was running for his life and so were two WRs 55 and 60 yards down field. Those were not the open receivers I said he missed.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Buck-Horn

Buck-Horn Guest

Well, I'm certainly no expert, but I do know this....

Applewhite, Simms, Vince, Colt = success
    Gilbert, Case, Swoopes, Shane = failure

18. Buck-Horn

Buck-Horn Guest

Well, maybe a stretch on Simms!!!

19. Buck-Horn

Buck-Horn Guest

• Like Like x 1
  20. IvanDiabloHorn

IvanDiabloHorn 1,000+ Posts

Shane's story is not finished. I opine Shane and this offense will improve as the season progresses. The offense and especially the offensive line probably has their worst game of the year behind them.

• Like Like x 1
  21. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Wasn't sure if it was a "stretch" or you were trying to lighten the mood around here.

:beertoast:

22. easy

easy 2,500+ Posts

He was hurt that explains somethings

23. LonghornCatholic

LonghornCatholic Deo Gratias

Bruised shoulder, will not practice Tuesday.

Sam will get team 1 reps.

24. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

The poor kid had to throw the ball 50 times and scramble a dozen times more. No wonder he' s too beat up to practice.

I don't blame him one bit for the loss. We had zero balance. The coaches said Maryland was playing to stop the run so they just gave up on running and threw every play. That scenario will always get you beat. Always has. Always will.

• Like Like x 3
  25. horninchicago

I think it happened on the first sack. Not recognizing that and running more plus the chicken **** comment by Herman of abandoning the run because they lined up to stop it with a 3 man front is, well, stupid and chicken ****.

26. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Yeah, that first sack reminded me of Garrett Gilbert in the 2009 championship game with 4 minutes to go and we still had a chance. You could see it coming from a mile away, but screaming at the TV doesn't seem to do any good!

You'd think a QB would always try to be sure his back side is safe, but I guess their taught to trust they're teammates. It's too bad he didn't look that way. He had a safety valve guy wide open on that side.

• Like Like x 1
  27. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

try throwing something next time!

• Like Like x 2
  28. moondog_LFZ

moondog_LFZ 5,000+ Posts

Shane is not a failure.
    He's a true sophomore.
    There were times fans were calling for VY to be moved to receiver before we went more to the read option.
    And Colt's laser like game didn't truly kick in until his junior year.
    Shane > Gilbert, Case, Swoopes

• Like Like x 4
  29. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

THIS^^^^

30. Buck-Horn

Buck-Horn Guest

Let me clarify....none of the QB's are individual failures...that's not my point!! But, those 4 QB's did lead losing programs for the most part. Slice & dice all you want. As a starting QB, SB is 5-8! Is that HIS fault? That's a fair debate!