Shane Injury

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by BevoQ, Sep 19, 2016.

1. BevoQ

BevoQ 250+ Posts

I think we learned more than a couple things from this game. #1 that I'd much rather take a holding call then let him get smashed. #2 he is a gamer and he is tough... I believe he played through that game in serious pain. It also seems that as a result of the "injury" we had to change the game plan up. #3 the running back has to block like his life depends on it. #4 Speed is our weapon... Without it we don't have near the offensive advantage. The faster we go the more productive we are. #5 John Burt is not our #1 receiver. #6 D'Onte Foreman is a freakin monster who should be unleashed frequently. #7 motion is our friend.

• Like Like x 2
  2. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

#8 Tyrone still cannot throw an accurate pass when he has to. Sometimes the pass ends up in the right place but it's not because of precision.

• Like Like x 2
  3. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

Good list. The frequent QB changes was a killer.
    Go with a QB for a drive, and leave him in there for the drive.

As bad as TS is throwing the ball, I can't help but wonder what would have happened had he been put in there on that last drive.

Hindsight is 20/20 but IMO, the 18 wheeler would have tied the game up.
    We had 4 or 5 minutes. That hadn't stopped our run game all night. All we had to do was run the damn ball.

4. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

To me, it makes no sense for Swoopes to be the backup, but hear me out.

I am a big fan of Tyrone and he should get a large percentage of reps every game. However, someone else with a stronger passing ability should back up Shane. Then keep rotating Swoopes in with the back up.

Also, Swoopes does need to throw occasionally, but someone needs to tell him to take velocity off the ball in some situations. He throws every pass like he is trying to win a prize at the state fair.

• Like Like x 1
  5. BevoQ

BevoQ 250+ Posts

Yes exactly. I agree with you. Keep the dynamics of the offense the same. At one point I saw Cal was bringing 9 guys in the box when TS was in.

6. BevoQ

BevoQ 250+ Posts

Also reconfirmed my analysis from before the season that it's virtually impossible for Tyrone to throw a pass that results in YAC... And YAC is crucial to moving the chains.

• Like Like x 3
  7. hudsonhorn

hudsonhorn 500+ Posts

8. hudsonhorn

hudsonhorn 500+ Posts

Regardless of the offense and its ability or not, the defense, especially the pass rush and the confusion of the defensive backs was deplorable. Especially against a mediocre Pac-12 team, we ought to be embarrassed. Here's hoping things get better before OK lite and OK in the near future!

9. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

What I fear is he's too much of a gamer. There's a point where toughness has to end and common sense has to take over before it's too late. The worst thing that could happen to this team is we end up with David Ash P2.

• Like Like x 1
  10. BevoQ

BevoQ 250+ Posts

I think that falls on the staff to tell him to chill. Also young Colt was prone to that sort of thing too. Made you a little sick in the stomach to watch him take shots.

11. car54

car54 1,000+ Posts

Merrick should be the #2, and Swoopes and Heard the wildcat or wild horn QB for special situations.

• Like Like x 3
  12. BevoQ

BevoQ 250+ Posts

You are spot on. Without a good aerial attack we get shut down quickly, regardless of who the OC is.

• Like Like x 1
  13. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I don't see it. From his first snap he has made decisions to protect himself, like sliding virtually every time he runs. The problem is that quarterbacks are targets and without excellent protection they are all vulnerable.

As I recall, Ash did his share of challenging tacklers. I haven't seen that with Shane. He has maturity at the position well beyond his years. It's almost like he grew up in an athletic family...

• Like Like x 2
  14. horninchicago

horninchicago 10,000+ Posts

Agree. Also, didn't you hear during the game? Shane's dad, Shane, played ball for the Texas Rangers.

• Like Like x 2
  15. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Missed that. I was preoccupied trying to figure out who the "unrelated" Foreman twins were related to.

• Like Like x 7
  16. horninchicago

Shipley?

• Like Like x 1
  17. JustWin

JustWin 250+ Posts

And who Shane's dad had for a college roommate.

• Like Like x 1
  18. ProdigalHorn

ProdigalHorn 10,000+ Posts

Ughhhh that made the broadcast even harder to bear. Every time I think Mark Jones isn't as insufferably bad as I thought before, he gets worse. I lost track of the mispronounced names... This is why people like to listen to their homer broadcasts: it's not because the announcers root for their team, it's that the announcers know something about their team that they couldn't have learned surfing the ESPN page for 10 minutes.

• Like Like x 1
  19. 56 Bells

56 Bells 500+ Posts

Exactly! After Shane came back in the game, our game plan, obviously, changed....just look at the 2nd half......he was hurting.....couldn't have thrown deep if he had to in the 2nd half of that game.

20. horninchicago

While it does appear he was off after the hit and the game plan did slow down, the 41 yard perfect touchdown pass came well after that hit, so deep balls were not an issue.

• Like Like x 1
  21. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Agree. I'm not sure that we changed anything but I'll bet that Cal did.

22. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

According to Orangebloods, Shane has a "cracked rib". Will play against Okie Lite, but will be heavily padded.

23. horninchicago

Wow, he must be extremely tough. I cracked a rib doing some kickboxing back around 1995 or so. I was in my late 20s. I was relegated to a sofa for a few days, and I consider myself to be fairly tough, having received a black belt in 1987.

24. p_town_horn

p_town_horn 1,000+ Posts

I am not as tough as my Chicago brethren here but I cracked a rib playing football as a sophomore. I sat for 3 weeks and had to wear extra rib protection for the rest of the year. I was a WR not a QB.

Having experienced it first hand, I am a little anxious about Shane playing in two weeks. I hope we use the 18 wheeler a lot and I don't mean for Tyrone to throw the ball. Let's see how we do with the Georgia Tech/Navy approach for a game - 100 rushing attempts; 4 passing attempts.

• Like Like x 2
  25. horninchicago

Ha, I'm not that tough! I agree, though, if it's really a cracked rib, good luck seeing him on the field anytime soon.

26. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

Probably explains why he couldn't make his usual, effortless long throws.

27. ViperHorn

ViperHorn 10,000+ Posts

We will know very quickly on 01 October as Gundy will tell his rushers to hit him hard to the ground - even if it will result in a penalty.

28. Run Pincher

Run Pincher 2,500+ Posts

Certainly explains the inaccuracy on the long balls. I know 1st hand too, cracked ribs and broken collarbone last year after being hit by a hit n run driver. The ribs were excruciating, far more painful than the broken collarbone. I don't know how he continued to play.

29. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

I'm hoping that Gilbert is taking another look at Heard and also preparing Merrick. I know that the Heard ship may have sailed but with our improving O-Line and running proficiency I really like his skill set back there. I also have more confidence in his throwing the ball than with Swoops.

This bye week may have been fortuitous.

30. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

...................DANGIT!!...........................