Shaq to Cavs

Discussion in 'Men’s Basketball' started by Orange Salad Ranch, Jun 24, 2009.

1. Orange Salad Ranch

Orange Salad Ranch 250+ Posts

2. CanaTigers

CanaTigers 2,500+ Posts

Cavs-Lakers finals next year will be interesting.

3. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

Shaq hasn't been a real force for a few years. He just doesn't have those quick feet inside anymore. I think this move helps the Cavs but not sure if it helps enough. Boston and Orlando will be tough next year.

4. bierce

bierce 1,000+ Posts

I akways had a lot of respect for Shaq on court, but I doubt Shaq will be that effective against Howard. While he did outscore and out rebound Howard in their one meeting last year, in the two other face to face meetings they've had over the last three years, Howard killed Shaq on the glass and was 12-13 from the field.

Shaq is 37, and he's been carrying over 320 pounds on his knees and ankles for 20 years. He's lost what shot blocking ability he had. His FT shooting is under 50% over the last 6 years. While he played 75 games last year, he missed over 80 games with injuries over the previous 3 years. His point + rebound total has averaged just under 25 over the last three years.

This looks like Ben Wallace the second--the Cavs have traded for a guy clearly on the decline and ready to become a subaverage player due to the toll of longevity, weight, and injuries. Shaq isn't there just yet, but I wouldn't be surprised to see him there before the end of the season, either through injuries or lack of effectiveness.

Finally, is Shaq the sort of guy the Cavs need? His primary attribute has always been as a huge tank on the offensive side of things. Will he improve things for James or just clog things in the middle so badly that James doesn't have room for penetration?

The Cavs didn't have to give up squat to get Shaq, but I just don't think he makes the Cavs much better.

5. LHB_SOB

LHB_SOB 250+ Posts

Shaq will match the Cavs up pretty well with Boston--but I don't about anybody else. I think of this more as make Lebron happy move. "Look, we went out and got you a big profile player so we could to make the team better! Don't leave for New York!"

6. 210-816-Horn

210-816-Horn 250+ Posts

This is LeBron's last chance for a ring in a CAVs uniform...then in 2010 pack your bags for NYK!!!!

Go Knicks!!!!!!!!

7. hornpharmd

hornpharmd 5,000+ Posts

This isn't Lebrons last chance at a ring in a Cavs uniform. He stays and they continue to add pieces needed. Shaq may end up losing weight and rededicating himself in gym. It would be a good way to go out. What this does do is show Lebron that Cleveland is willing to give him help.

8. Orangesweat

Orangesweat 2,500+ Posts

The Cavs need a lot more than Shaq to get to the finals.