Shepard and Gilbert Videos

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Horns83, Jan 14, 2008.

1. Horns83

Horns83 500+ Posts

Here are a couple of videos I found of each player on Youtube. Both are excellent at what they do. Both videos are from each player's soph. year. Enjoy.

Russell Shepard
    The Link

Garrett Gilbert
    The Link

2. Rissin

Rissin < 25 Posts

More Russell Shepard from this season below... he's # 10

LINK

3. Nytejag

Nytejag 100+ Posts

Great vids! Great speed and almost superhuman vision, to be able to make the moves to evade several tacklers. Someday, he could very well be battling Prior for the heisman. I hope is wearing burnt orange when he does.

4. Handler XIII

Handler XIII 1,000+ Posts

I now love Shepard!

5. Handler XIII

Handler XIII 1,000+ Posts

Who is #6 that Gilbert likes to throw to?

6. ShadowNinja

ShadowNinja 100+ Posts

I bet we offer Shepard as an ATH

7. YouTeeAye

YouTeeAye 100+ Posts

I don't know about Sheppard's throwing ability, but his running is VY-esque. GD already has a template for winning championship with ridiculously mobile QBs, so why not offer him as a QB? Are there concerns about his accuracy or something else?

8. ShadowNinja

ShadowNinja 100+ Posts

9. Rissin

Rissin < 25 Posts

we scored on 2 out of 3 of chiles drives in the bowl game without even attempting a pass...

edit: who ever I replied to with this has edited their post.

10. Hobbes2702

Hobbes2702 500+ Posts

Right now there are 4 very very good QBs in the class of 09. Rollison, Gilbert, Pachall, and Shepard. I'm not sure which ones we should go after but I am going to rank each on certain things based on what I have seen either in person or on film.

Arm Strength
    1. Gilbert
    2. Pachall
    3. Shepard
    4. Rollison

Accuracy
    1. Gilbert
    2. Rollison or Shepard
    4. Pachall

Footwork
    1. Gilbert (Far ahead of the others in his footwork)
    2. Shepard (Good Footwork)
    3. Pachall (strides too long and loses arm strength due to it)
    4. Rollison (Throws of his back foot alot)

Release
    1. Gilbert
    2. Shepard
    3. Rollison
    4. Pachall (Phillip Rivers like release)

Mobility
    1. Shepard (Far and away the most mobile)
    2. Rollison
    3. Pachall
    4. Gilbert

Big Play Ability
    1. Shepard (Big Runs)
    2. Gilbert (Big Throws)
    3. Rollison
    4. Pachall

From what I have seen all the QBs are very mobile with very good arm strength. Gilbert lacks the elusiveness of the other three but is still very good at getting out and running. Shepard struggles with his accuracy at times but has the game breaking ability when running the ball and the accuracy can be improved because he has good release and footwork. Pachall is a good combination of speed and throwing ability. His mechanics could use some work but he is solid as a dual threat. Rollison is also very good at both speed and throwing. He needs work on footwork but has good elusiveness and accuracy.

Comparisons to Quarterbacks

Russell Shepard- John Chiles
    Electric Runner and the throwing ability needs some fine tuning but he has the footwork and the arm to be successful.

Tyrik Rollison- Dennis Dixon
    Good arm and similar mechanics with that same sort of surprising elusiveness.

Garrett Gilbert- Tony Romo
    Couldn't think of a college player. Uses his speed to extend plays and often makes plays with his feet but not a game changing runner. Great accuracy and good arm strength.

Casey Pachall- Colt McCoy
    Good Mobility and throwing ability but nothing overly exceptional about his running ability but will surprise with his speed.

11. bazbo

bazbo 500+ Posts

Shepard

12. Meursault

Meursault 250+ Posts

13. Tecolote

Tecolote 100+ Posts

Shepard. I agree that the trend in college is to mobility and that kid looks special. Also I am pretty sure that Cy Fair district is with the big boys and not a 4a. Even the best pocket passers are going to struggle in GD's system. Give him a dual threat and look out.

14. PFD

PFD 1,000+ Posts

15. danthehorn

danthehorn 250+ Posts

16. bazbo

bazbo 500+ Posts

17. WorsterMan

WorsterMan SEC here we come!!

Shepard.

I like this kid - he is the closet thing to VY I have seen since VY. I was imagining him running the ZR and hitting timely passes along the way. Like VY, his style brings a threat to every play - as a defense, you don't know what he is going to do and he can beat you several ways to take it to the house or hit a receiver you left uncovered for a moment because you came up thinking he was going to run. I would like our O to have that element again....

As for his arm, its hard to compare his arm as a Jr. in these clips to VY when he was Jr. at Madison. I can only think his throwing will get better as time goes on. The sky is the limit [​IMG]

18. ShadowNinja

ShadowNinja 100+ Posts

don't know if peeps are writing Shepard in response to

19. SINCE73

SINCE73 250+ Posts

Gilbert is a scary prospect & out of all of them I hope he's not the one that ends up at Texas....which is pretty much a foregone conclusion.