Shipley touchdown catch ruling

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by rememberthealamo, Sep 4, 2011.

1. rememberthealamo

rememberthealamo 250+ Posts

...I have a question regarding the ruling on Shipleys touchdown catch...it appeared that he stepped out of bounds and indeed the ref threw his hat down to indicate that, as well as, a flag to indicate the pass interference ...if a receiver is forced out of bounds due to interference is he allowed to make a catch back on the field...and if that is the case why was the play reviewed since pass interference plays are not reviewable....

2. TXSNOS

TXSNOS 1,000+ Posts

to see if he caught the ball

3. Hpslugga

Hpslugga 2,500+ Posts

4. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

If you didn't see the play, you may not know that just after he took the ball in his hands, the defender was all over him trying to wrest the ball away. Watching it live, it appeared that Jaxon either may have lost the ball to the receiver or let it touch the ground.

It was a pleasure watching the play over and over. It was a great catch and maintaining of possession for Shipley. Electrifying play.

5. rememberthealamo

rememberthealamo 250+ Posts

so the ruling is : if you are fouled and go out of bounds you can come back on the field and make a catch instead of a straight up pass interference call being stepped off...thank you

6. TheGallopinGoose

TheGallopinGoose 2,500+ Posts

I assumed they reviewed the play because it was so awesome.

7. RomaVicta

RomaVicta 5,000+ Posts

The ruling on the field was "cool play." It was upgraded to "most awesome" upon review.

8. orangotango

orangotango 25+ Posts

That is also the play that convinced me that he is a special talent. While luck may have been involved, the instincts, skills, and determination on that play sure didn't look like a freshman.

9. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

The play was Shipleyesque.

10. where_are_my_8s

where_are_my_8s 250+ Posts

College and below if you are forced out by the defender you can still be an eligible receiver. This is different in the NFL. In the NFL there is no contact with a receiver after 5 yards so if you go out of bounds it should have been on your own. Any level below there can be contact after 5 yards so therefore you can also be pushed otu of bounds and still re-establish your eligiblity as a receiver.

11. H-D Rider

H-D Rider 1,000+ Posts

12. gdu

gdu 1,000+ Posts

lil Ship hasn't looked like a freshman for a couple of years now. Heck, he was the best receiver last year when he came and screwed around with the guys at practice.