Shooting

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by ProdigalHorn, Feb 16, 2018.

1. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

Since the latest Youtube shooter is female, liberal, vegan, an animal activist, didn't use an AR-15, lived in a state with the severe gun laws and was Turkish (the writings look Turkish to me), I am guessing the media will drop this story in about a week?
    Does not fit the narrative

• Like Like x 2
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2018
  2. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

There seems to be some argument about whether or not the Left wants to ban guns or just enact a few more "common sense" controls on gun purchases and ownership. But I believe if you adopt someone full of insults, like Hogg, to speak for you and you provide cover for him by attacking anyone who disagrees with him then what you are doing is adding fuel to the thought that you do in fact want to ban guns.

It is not surprising to me that someone rose up from the Parkland shooting with an emotional "enough is enough" feeling. But if the most emotional extreme reaction, full of bitterness and hatred towards innocent people who are exercising their constitutional rights in a peaceful manner is now your brief, then there will be no room for compromise because compromise appears to only be a new and advantageous staging ground for the final agenda: banning guns.

• Like Like x 4
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2018
  3. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

Please don't be obtuse. What you are missing is these kids wanna take away every else's guns (a monumental task that's not even possible) but having to do something as simple as bring your stuff in a clear backpack is a bridge too far for them. When it's THEY that are asked to change something, for their own safety, they are all offended at how their rights are being trampled. How in the world do you not see the problem here?

• Like Like x 3
  4. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

I think most of us get that. It's absurd and hypocritical to whine for gun control in defiance of people's constitutional rights while complaining that clear backpacks violate some constitutional right. (They don't.) However, I think it's also fair to question the clear backpack suggestion on the merits. Whether it violates anybody's rights or not, it's a dumb idea.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

6. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

It may take some more time, but these juveniles are going to wear on people and lose the glamour and glory they currently receive. You can't act as ridiculous as they do forever without it hurting your popularity.

• Like Like x 2
  7. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

You can be nicer about it Phil. I don't agree with everything you say but it doesn't bother me. I'm just talking about things. What's the big deal about what I said? I'm just saying the clear pack is not going to solve the problems. It's just another knee-jerk response. I haven't read all the comments so don't assume that I have and that somehow I'm not getting it.

8. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Stop being hysterical. Nobody wants to take away anybody's guns. Well, ok, we actually do. Link.

9. 4th_floor

4th_floor Dude, where's my laptop?

Never sell a gun to Barry Switzer. But if you did, why would you be liable? He's never shown a tendency for violence, at least not that I am aware. And if Barry wants a gun to protect himself from Longhorns such as myself, he has a constitutional right to get one.

10. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

No 4th floor, you need to not only sell him the gun, but you need to continuously monitor him for the remainder of his life to make sure he doesn't do something illegal with the weapon. Damn you are dumb.

11. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

That was a bit of a joke and a h/t to my avatar. Pretend that Switzer's arrest for packing the firearm on the airplane resulted in him never being able to purchase a handgun through regular channels.

12. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Under my plan if I sell a gun to some one on 1/1/18 and he's good and clean but he commits some violation that translates to him not being eligible to purchase a gun on 1/15/18 then I'm free and clear. I'd just hang on to what I had that indicated that he was good and clean and all is well. It's not the seller's responsibility to follow up on what may or may not happen in the future. Unless you want to make it an unworkable plan.

13. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

Hell Bubba, let's do the same thing with autos, knives, baseball bats, matches, and pressure cookers. Let the mind reading begin.

14. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

Why should you be liable? Because he's Barry Switzer. About the only thing you should be able to sell him without being liable is a strait jacket.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

Thanks for sharing. When I heard "protests" my initial thought was organizing and marching in the streets, not simply expressing an opinion. Not judging whether those kids are right or wrong, I don't view decorating your new clear backpack with a political statement any differently as legally purchasing a new pink firearm for your wife. Both are making a statement.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

The Tea Party "wore" on people then eventually exacted change as power-brokers in the R party leveraged them to push an agenda. Maybe it's just me but I think there is a good chance this Parkland incident mobilized a generation, one (18-29 age group) that only saw 16% participate in the last POTUS election. Of course, I think DJT is also doing his part to fire that group up.

From a pure civics perspective, I'm happy to see the voter apathy in that demographic begin to dissipate.

17. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

And now the red states are dealing with a decade of failed economic theory. Look no further than Kansas, Oklahoma, Louisiana, Mississippi, etc. Arkansas still has a little bit of the old Clinton fumes left and that helped stave off a complete red state takeover there but it was happening. This activation of the younger generation will be interesting to watch.

18. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

I'm not, because most of those youths are too inexperienced in life to have the first clue what's good for them wrt government's presence and role in their lives.

• Like Like x 2
  19. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

And yet Texas has no income tax. You, once again, only address the revenue side of the equation, and, like most libs that cannot control spending, ignore the expenses incurred.

20. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Comparing Texas to Oklahoma is not reasonable. I think most of you would concur. San Antonio, Houston, Dallas, Ft. Worth are all large population centers and shuffles the deck as far as taxation goes. Property taxes are significantly higher in Texas.

21. Mr. Deez

Mr. Deez Beer Prophet

That's the narrative that gun control advocates are pushing. However, the generation at issue is no where near as unified on the issue as they're portrayed as being. In fact, their support for new gun laws is about the same as the overall population's support.

I've made my view on this known. I'm not a fan of the idea that voting or political involvement is a virtue. If ignorance and emotion are motivating a group of voters, then I'm all for those voters staying apathetic and not voting. We need more smart people voting, not just more people.

• Like Like x 1
  22. Htown77

Htown77 5,000+ Posts

Rich, populated states like Texas, Florida, California and New York are rich despite all having different policies. Poor, less populated states, are all poor despite having different policies. Funny how that works.

• Like Like x 1
  23. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

Dude was saying that Texas was financially stronger due to not having a state income tax. I pointed out that A. big cities B. property tax base significantly higher. I mean, OKC would rank behind Dallas, Ft. Worth, Houston and maybe San Antonio and Tulsa would probably be smaller than Austin and Amarillo. That's all my guessing.

You and I agree.

• Like Like x 1
  24. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

You can't look at taxes in a vacuum. Politicians will always spend what is taxed, and borrow to spend more. There is no short term downside for them to do so. They can buy votes by giving away other people's money.

25. iatrogenic

iatrogenic 2,500+ Posts

Maybe you and the libs could reduce your Oklahoma tax revenues more by hammering the oil companies with more regulations. Attacking your source of revenue seems like such a great idea.

• Like Like x 1
  26. Sangre Naranjada

I'll help you out, just because your guessing is wrong.
    Houston(4 nationally), San Antonio(7), Dallas(9), Austin(11), and El Paso(20) are all larger than OKC(27). Arlington(48) barely trails Tulsa(47). Overall, Texas has 38 cities with a population greater than 100,000 people. Oklahoma has 4. Feel free to use this info to spin your argument.

My lament is that Austin is barely outside of the top 10 largest cities in the USA. It was a lot better place when it was sleepier.

• Like Like x 1
  27. Phil Elliott

Phil Elliott 2,500+ Posts

So was Houston.

• Like Like x 1
  28. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

You missed Ft. Worth. Why be a douche?

29. Sangre Naranjada

I did miss Ft Worth. My bad. Not sure how I'm being a douche, given that the factual material presented largely backs the argument you're making.

Oh, wait.

• Like Like x 1
  30. OUBubba

OUBubba 5,000+ Posts

I said I was guessing. You, basically, validated my numbers. Thanks.

The Douchey part is where you seemed victorious in pointing out that my guessing was wrong and that I was going to be spinning it into some some liberal argument. I was just pointing out that comparing OK and Texas is apples and mangos. And, before you get too high/mighty, I saw my first two story trailer between San Antonio and Austin at a trailer sales place. Were it in Paris, Sherman, etc. you could sell me on "they keep them in stock for the Okies".