Short Ribs

Discussion in 'Rusty's Grill' started by Roger, Feb 4, 2011.

1. Roger

Roger 1,000+ Posts

I've had short ribs twice in the last month that have made we want to try my hand, anyone have a good recipe?

BTW, I had them at LaGriglia and it was fabulous and then at Grand Lux I had a short rib grilled cheese sandwhich which was crazy good

2. Stove Top

Stove Top 25+ Posts

Please see below for recipe.

6 meaty beef short ribs
    flour for dredging
    canola oil
    mirepoix
    2 med onions rough chopped
    4 stalks of celery rough chopped
    4 carrots rough chopped
    tomato paste
    red wine
    veal stock or beef stock
    salt and pepper to taste

Heat oil in a heavy deep skillet or dutch oven
    Season and dredge ribs in flour and brown on all sides then remove from skillet
    Add mirepoix to skillet and saute 10 to 15 minutes
    Add 1 tbsp tomato paste and saute for 3 minutes
    Deglaze skillet with 1 to 2 cups good red wine
    Reduce wine by 3/4
    Return short ribs to skillet
    Add veal stock half way up the level of the ribs
    Bring everything to a boil then cover and place in a 350F oven
    Cook cover for 1.5 hours then turn ribs and cook an additional 1.5 hours
    Remove ribs from pot and strain liquid into a sauce pan
    Bring sauce to a simmer and skim fat
    Simmer sauce to a consistency where it will coat the back of a spoon
    Turn off heat and add 2 to 3 pats of butter and incorporate into sauce
    Serve with mashed potatoes or creamy polenta
    You can also take the cooked short ribs and put a light glaze of dijon mustard and put under the broiler for a few minutes

3. NB_LONGHORN

NB_LONGHORN 500+ Posts

Damn the Foodies!!!

This used to be a very cheap cut of meat! along with skirts, top blades, oxtails, and briskets!

What is next, a craze for cheek meat???

4. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

I am reasonably certain tripe will remain relatively inexpensive.

5. NB_LONGHORN

NB_LONGHORN 500+ Posts

so I guess i've got that going for me.

6. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

From a while back when I made some braised short ribs. I'll likely be making these for VDay this year. My wife loves these.

The ingredients (some of the items, like potatoes, are for the side items):
    [​IMG]

Step one: Season ribs (about 3-4 lbs) with salt and pepper.
    * Note - I do not know if this is what short ribs always look like (marbling) but this is how they look from CM. Really nice quality.
    [​IMG]

2. Sear them off in a pan.
    [​IMG]

3. Take one head of crushed garlic cloves and about a one inch piece of peeled, thick-sliced ginger and toss them in the oil/rib fat. Saute for a few minutes.
    [​IMG]
    * In the future, I will double the garlic and ginger. ALso, I would like to use VERY low heat next time to really sweat the ginger/garlic to infuse the oil more with the flavors over a much longer time period.

4. Dump in one 12 oz. ale style beer and about 3 TBSP of rice wine vinegar and deglaze your pan if you need to. Return short ribs to pan, and get to a nice simmer. Cover, and then simmer for 2.5 hours. Make sure that the ribs are meat side down to submerge as much as possible.

5. Then, after 2.5 hours of simmer, add about one cup of Hoisin Sauce, remove lid, and place in 300 degree oven for 30 minutes.
    [​IMG]
    6. I then removed the ribs, and put the pan back on the burner at med-high heat to reduce/concentrate the sauce more. Then plate:
    [​IMG]
    The sides were simple and not explained. I boiled some potatoes, and then mashed with some milk, sour cream, and wasabi paste. the Snap peas were just sauteed in sesame oil with red chili flakes, salt, pepper, and sesame seeds.

Close up of meat:
    [​IMG]

7. GemStateJim

GemStateJim 2,500+ Posts

Nice pictorial recipe, scott. Looks delicious.

Still trying to figure out where the pistol came into play, though. [​IMG]

8. THEU

THEU 2,500+ Posts

Finally what I have always wanted. A great thread about the greatness of cow rib. So far superior to pig rib.

Step up to Cow my friends!

scottsins.. great pics and recipe!

9. envgeo

envgeo 500+ Posts

More expensive due to purchasing William Sonomoa bourguignonne, but WOW! these are good! The slow cooker will make the house smell incredible and your stomach groan like a 5 year waking up at 3am christmas morning until the short ribs are done.

Ingredients:
    4 lb. beef short ribs
    Kosher salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
    1 Tbs. olive oil
    1/2 lb. bacon, cut into 1/4-inch dice
    1 jar beef bourguignonne braising base
    2 cups pearl onions, fresh or thawed frozen
    1/2 lb. baby carrots, peeled
    2 lb. small red new potatoes, scrubbed
    2 Tbs. unsalted butter, at room temperature
    2 Tbs. finely chopped fresh flat-leaf parsley
    Directions:
    Season the short ribs with salt and pepper. In the stovetop-safe insert of a slow cooker over medium-high heat, warm the olive oil. Add the bacon and cook until crisp, 5 to 8 minutes. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.

Pour off all but 1 Tbs. of the fat from the insert. Working in batches, add the short ribs and brown on all sides, 8 to 10 minutes per batch. Return all the ribs to the insert and add the braising base and bacon. Transfer the insert to a slow-cooker base, cover and cook on high according to the manufacturer’s instructions until the meat is fork-tender, about 6 hours; add the onions and carrots during the last 2 hours of cooking.

Meanwhile, using a steamer pot, steam the potatoes until tender when pierced, 25 to 30 minutes. Transfer to a bowl and stir in the butter and 1 Tbs. of the parsley. Season with salt.

Skim the fat off the sauce in the slow cooker. Transfer the beef bourguignonne to shallow bowls and garnish with the remaining 1 Tbs. parsley. Serve immediately with the steamed potatoes. Serves 6.

Williams-Sonoma Kitchen.

10. recycle bin

recycle bin 25+ Posts

11. SonofSon

SonofSon 25+ Posts

Braised Short Ribs with Arbol Chiles, White Beans, Mushrooms and Beer
    Costillas de Res Guisadas con Chile de Arbol, Alubias, Hongos y Cerveza

Serves 8

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Ingredients

8 arbol chiles
    2 tablespoons olive or vegetable oil
    4 pounds (8 good-size pieces) bone-in beef short ribs
    Salt and fresh black pepper
    1 large white onion, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
    8 ounces full-flavored mushrooms (think shiitakes here), stemmed and quartered
    2 cups full-flavored beer (I like Bohemia)
    2 cups beef broth
    1 head of garlic, cut in half across the center
    3 sprigs fresh thyme
    One 15-ounce can diced tomatoes in juice (preferably fire-roasted)
    4 cups cooked beans (homemade or canned - you'll need three 15-ounce cans), drained

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Directions

1. Toast the chiles and brown the meat. Turn on the oven to 325 degrees. Break the stems off the chiles, then roll them between your fingers to loosen the seeds. Break the chiles in half and shake out all the seeds that come out easily. Set a large (7- to 8-quart) Dutch oven over medium-high heat. When the pan is hot, pour in the oil. Add the chiles and stir for 10 to 15 seconds, until they are noticeably darker and aromatic. Remove to a small plate, draining as much oil as possible back into the pan. Generously sprinkle the meat on all sides with salt and pepper. Lay the short ribs in the pan and brown them, turning frequently, until they're a rich golden brown on all sides, about 4 minutes total. Remove to a rimmed baking sheet.

2. Flavor and braise the short ribs. Add the onion to the pan and cook, stirring regularly, until golden, about 7 minutes, then stir in the mushrooms and cook another couple of minutes. Add the beer, broth, garlic, thyme, tomatoes, beans, toasted chiles, 1 1/2 teaspoons salt and a generous 1/2 teaspoon black pepper.

Return the short ribs (and any juices that have collected around them) to the pan, nestling them into the liquid. Set the lid in place and bake for about 2 1/2 hours, until the short ribs are fork tender.

3. Serve. Carefully remove the short ribs to a deep serving platter. Discard the garlic and thyme sprigs from the braising liquid. Using a slotted spoon, spoon the beans around the short ribs. Taste the sauce mixture and season with additional salt if you think necessary. Then ladle the sauce mixture over the ribs and beans. You’re ready to serve.