should B12 punish/reprimand the game refs?

Discussion in 'On The Field' started by joh, Sep 27, 2015.

1. joh

joh 25+ Posts

There is precedent for the Big 12 to punish refs or at least change their future assignments. This crew should never be assigned to a Texas game going forward.

2. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

I'd be pretty disappointed if they called my son's junior high games. I've heard it said "you can call holding on every play." I guess that's what the ref was thinking when he randomly called holds on Texas. I remember one of the Texas OU routes where literally every OU offensive lineman was holding more blatantly than some of the calls Saturday.

3. Creek

Creek 1,000+ Posts

That was really bad officiating. They should be fired.

4. Joe Fan

Joe Fan 10,000+ Posts

5. Clean

Clean 5,000+ Posts

I think we should at least request that the officiating get reviewed by the Big XII.

It sure seemed like that crew had money riding on Okie Lite.

• Like Like x 2
  6. georgecostanza

georgecostanza NBHorn7’s Protégé

Anyone have the clip of the roughing the passer that negated the interception? Both roughing the passer calls were bad. That second one was just awful though.

7. TheWalkingHorn

TheWalkingHorn 500+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  8. georgecostanza

georgecostanza NBHorn7’s Protégé

Thanks. Just as crappy as I remember it.

9. bystander

bystander 10,000+ Posts

Please don't flame me but.... in the Poona video (enlarge the pic), you can clearly see that Poona is grabbing the jersey of #74 and pulling on it. It's a matter of degree; it's not a phantom call. You can see from the direction of the flag that the official probably had a clear angle on it.

As for the roughing, OBVIOUSLY they missed the holding call by OSU's offensive lineman but did our player make helmet to helmet contact? It appears to be so. And in that instance isn't that possibly a sure flag?

10. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

Poona got bear hugged by #73. So what if he had a bit of 74s jersey?

• Like Like x 1
  11. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

Right, at best it should have been offsetting penalties.

• Like Like x 1
  12. mchammer

mchammer 10,000+ Posts

You mean at worst.

13. caryhorn

caryhorn 5,000+ Posts

To answer the original poster: yes they should be suspended for starters. And then a full investigation into who is behind the planned, targeted, efficient job which made it impossible for the horns to win the game. Make no mistake, the horns were not allowed to win this game on the field. The last calls were simply an extension of what had been going on all game.

Just like on our drive before where we could have run out the clock with a three point lead. We were penalized before starting insuring we had more than ten yards to make a first. And we still almost did. Had we made that first down, there would have been a different phantom call resulting in us having to give the ball back to osu one way or another.

• Like Like x 1
  14. wadster

wadster 5,000+ Posts

I've been watching football for 49 years and never remember a D tackle getting called for holding an offensive lineman. The game changers I remember:

1. Personal foul late hit on the QB that was a push. A&M game the QB gets knocked down on the exact same thing and no call.
    2. 2 phantom holds on the OLine
    3. Wide receiver throw was so close, what ever was called on the field stands. Not sure how you could say with any certainity that that pass was forward. It was inches one way or another. If you aren't sure it's a penalty, don't throw the flag.
    4. Missed horse collar on the big Heard sack
    5. PI where there is a ref 3 feet away from the play and a ref 25 yds down field throws the flag.
    6. Poona play.
    There were a few I've missed. And no ones ever said what Strong ever said. Did he really deserve the 15 yarder. Generally after a ref makes a questionable call, they give the coach a chance to ***** a little. Not this time

• Like Like x 1
  15. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

Also, the call of a block in the back on a punt return, CLEARLY not, overruled by another ref who wasn't working the game with a service dog.

• Like Like x 1
  16. militaryhorn

militaryhorn Prediction Contest Manager

Yea, but you got the point LOL!

17. HTownBevo

HTownBevo 250+ Posts

On the Poona play, when did it become a violation for the defensive player to use his hands, or grab jersey (anything but the helmet) to shed a block? On a running play. During the ensuing conversation, Charley actually turns his back on the Linesman and walks away from him. The Linesman follows Charley. Its only after Charley turns back around (and sees the same official is following him) that the bump occurs. The Linesman, and I believe the Umpire should be called in to explain themselves and be suspended.

• Like Like x 1
  18. rickysrun

rickysrun 2,500+ Posts

it reminded me of that one game in "Remember the Titans" when the refs were hosing Denzel's team. That was The South coping with integration. What was the excuse of these ********?

19. Horns11

Horns11 10,000+ Posts

It sure looks like Cottrell has a hold of the OL man's jersey, and the flag was thrown in his direction. I still think it was a ****** call, but I also think they messed up the number they called/remembered.

20. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

Don't forget to mention the fumble in which Duke Thomas recovers it, Walsh dives into the pile, Naashon Hughes come out of the pile with the ball.

And obviously with this crew.... Ball - > Walsh and the cowboys.
    No review, no

I was losing my **** long before the above play, but that is when it became apparent to me that the refs were not just incompetent, they were fixing the game.

And when Poona got called for a hold, and Strong got hit with a personal, I went through the roof.

• Like Like x 3
  21. Detective Shilala

Detective Shilala 2,500+ Posts

I also thought it was "interesting" how we had to take our headsets off because OSU's headsets weren't working. However OSU's staff didn't have to take off their "broken" headsets for what? another quarter? And why leave on headsets that don't work? Why not enforce the rule on both teams just as the rules state?

• Like Like x 2
  22. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Email Walt Anderson with your concerns. I promise you'll get an email back telling oyu that it "sounds like sour grapes from a losing fan", and possibly "what qualifies you to be the judge". Anderson's Sam Houston State education prepared him to engage in very intelligent dialogue with any five year old football fan out there. Until he is removed, there will be no change.

I invite you to study Kelly Deterding's history as an official. Not his first rodeo with our football team. Guy has no place in college football, not even Blinn vs Navarro.

23. blonthang

blonthang 2,500+ Posts

This will be a good test for Perrin. If he remains silent and does nothing IMHO, in spite of early praise, we've got the wrong man to support UT athletics.

• Like Like x 2
  24. Brad Austin

Brad Austin 2,500+ Posts

DL grab jerseys all the time. That's actually how you shed blockers much of the time. You yank there jersey away from the way you are going. It's common countless times a game.

I guarantee you won't see a single NFL game all season where a DL gets called for a hold on a run play. It's just not a call a ref makes...especially with the game being decided.

I've never been in a game it's happened or seen it before. You'd have to maul, yank down, and continue to hold to get that call. It's really that unheard of. If a ref wants to call holding for DT's grabbing a jersey, he could've thrown it 50 times in that game. It's just not a call they make...until now.

25. Horngal12

Horngal12 100+ Posts

Coaches get to send video to the league to complain about officiating. Mack got a crew fired one time by sending a video (Rice game early in his tenure here). Strong should send video and see what the league does, but team and fans should not blame loss on the refs.

26. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Gal,

Do you really think Anderson will do anything with the complaint? How many complaints have Texas & OU lodged against Deterding with the Big XII office over the years? Anderson with arrogantly and defiantly defend his selections to the end. So unless Bowlsby had suddenly grown a pair or found some, filing a "complaint", is a waste of technology. Bowlsbly and Anderson have to go, then the new regime needs to clean house.

27. dukesteer

dukesteer 5,000+ Posts

Here's the rule relative to the Ford call:

In the 2009-10 edition of the NCAA Football Rulebook, Rule 9 covers “Conduct of Players and Others Subject to the Rules.” Section 3 covers “Blocking, Use of Hands or Arms” and Section 4 is directed at defensive players. Section 3, Article 4 of Rule 9 states that a “defensive player may use hands and arms to push, pull, ward off or lift offensive players when attempting to reach the runner.” But they may not use hands and arms to tackle, hold or otherwise illegally obstruct an opponent other than a ball carrier. This is, by definition, defensive holding and carries a 10-yard penalty that is awarded to the offense as well as an automatic first down.

Translation: There was no basis the justify the call made on Ford.

28. BevoJoe

BevoJoe 10,000+ Posts

Yes they should be either reassigned or terminated after a review of every penalty they called. 16 against us, don't know how many OSU had.

29. Big Truck

Big Truck 25+ Posts

Officials do not watch the winners, they watch the losers who make a lot of mistakes. They program themselves to watch the losers and not the winners. I remember when we use to get the calls. We just need to get better. Our young men don"t quit ! That is remarkable.

30. anon

anon 25+ Posts

Refs also did not call late hit out of bounds on our sideline by one of their defense on our RB. Pushed out by one defender, and then, after crossing the sideline, hit by a second defender.