Should I get the iPhone? edit: I got my iPhone...

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by dang-str8, Jun 19, 2007.

1. dang-str8

dang-str8 1,000+ Posts

I was about to get the Treo when I heard people at work complain about it... at least 5 people I know have complained about it... most about restarting and dropping calls and ringing nonstop and crap like that... I decided to wait for the iphone instead... but there is no info at all about it online... all reviews are from people that haven't used it at all, or saw it for 10 minutes...

anyone heard anything negative about it?

2. Bevo71

Bevo71 500+ Posts

I was going to switch to ATT/Cingular to get the iPhone. HOwever, their pla wouldnt let me continue covering my parents' phone on a family share account. They live in another city, and the ATT/Cingular rep told me I would need to set up 2 accounts, one for each city.

The features on the iPhone look awesome. However, even if ATT/Cingular would have let me setup an account like I described, I would have wanted to test it out first before purchasing. (reception, clarity, all those features, etc.) I'd also look at how much more it would cost to access all those features.

3. MikeUT00

MikeUT00 Guest

When will it be released? Considering I just dropped my Blackberry in water ... I might need a new phone.

4. SAChick

SAChick 500+ Posts

It'll be out on the 29th. New cingular customers have 30 days to "evaluate" the service and return the phone and cancel the service if you don't like it. I'm assuming this will be the case with the new Iphone customers too.

5. dang-str8

dang-str8 1,000+ Posts

I'm kinda excited about getting it... but I like to do research on stuff like this before I buy, and this phone is making me a little nervous... I know the smart thing would be for me to wait for it to come out and the bugs cleared, but I've been itching to buy a smartphone for months already... I don't think I can wait any longer than 10days from today...

6. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

any firmware issues should be resolved pretty easily with updates, its just the hardware that could have problems and that worries me.

the only things worth waiting for are 3G capability, flash and java support, which will all most likely be on the second release. i wish they wouldve put ichat on there as well, but surely another aim-type service will be available from a third party.

another thing... at&t will most likely require you to get the unlimited data service on top of your calling plan, which means your monthly bill will run you around $100.

the lines for getting this thing will be unbelievable and wont be any different than the ps3 and 360 lines. get there EARLY if you plan on getting one.

7. unpaintedhuffhines

unpaintedhuffhines 1,000+ Posts

negative I have heard is the battery life

with all the applications this phone offers, it can run out of juice pretty quickly

It does not offer a removeable batery, so you will always need to carry a charging kit (vs. just having a charged up extra) if you feel you may run out

8. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

the battery life is actually pretty damn good... it has improved since the january introduction. these numbers were just released from apple yesterday:

9. bambino777

bambino777 25+ Posts

Two words: Tactile feel. If you think you'll be able to type as quickly on a touch screen as you do on keys, go for it.

10. dang-str8

dang-str8 1,000+ Posts

I have the Sony DSC-N2 digital camera... all the settings are touch screen and it kinda feels like I picture the iphone feeling... I think it would be cool... I'm looking forward to the multitouch screen, but if it's more difficult than expected, I'd have to adjust... I don't have a qwert key phone now, so the onscreen keyboard should be OK.

[​IMG]

11. MikeUT00

MikeUT00 Guest

Bambino ht my concern right on the head. I have become VERY good on my Blackberry 8700 for e-mails, msgs, etc. I like the full keyboard for this reason. Considering I might need to get a new phone, it would be a good time to get the iPhone because I might be in the market for one. However, I have a feeling it will be alot harder to get used to typing, msg-ing, etc. because of the touch screen. If I do need to get a new phone, I might lean towards the Blackberry 8800.

12. unpaintedhuffhines

13. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

even if it got half those stated numbers, it would still have decent battery life. hell, my little samsung phone only gets 3-4 hours talk time as it is.

14. unpaintedhuffhines

again, we'll see. Reviewers who have actually used the damn thing disagree with you.

15. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

what are you saying? we should expect it to have 1-2 hr life max?

16. unpaintedhuffhines

no, I'm repeating what reviewers said...the only negative they found was the battery life may suffer when multiple applications are used

17. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

forbes hasnt actually reviewed it for an entire day testing battery life... they have just suggested that the battery life wont be as good as stated. and we all know will probably be true as most people will utilize multiple apps throughout the day.

im curious to see how well it performs in real-life use, usually apple products do very well in this area.

18. next2naus

next2naus 500+ Posts

Dang: Treo issues: those are common with 650's. I don't have those issues w/ the 700w. the newer Treo's are pretty good

Bevo: adding a family plan, I think you were lied to, new accounts are worth $400 to Cingualr AT&T. you should be able to move your numbers.

Huffhines: the battery drain do to using many apps is common, if I bang out tons of messages on my treo, surf the web, and play videos and music the battery depletes faster than just the phone use

everyone's mileage varies w/ wireless devices, that said I'm still looking to break the 1st gen rule and get one next friday

19. bambino777

bambino777 25+ Posts

Have you checked what CNet & Gizmodo have to say so far?

Also, if you hate smudges on your screen, you might reconsider.

20. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

i doubt cnet or gizmodo has had the opportunity to get ahold of an iphone with the new screen on it yet.

21. mdmost

mdmost 100+ Posts

Check out this website:
    www.iphonefreak.com/
    Seems to be a collection of info about the new phone. It has a few blurbs about battery life and family plans.

22. dang-str8

dang-str8 1,000+ Posts

23. Sii

Sii 1,000+ Posts

the next phone I get will be an iPhone..not sure when but I want one

the internet broweser on that thing looks incredible with the scrolling and picture quality

24. Xminus6

Xminus6 500+ Posts

25. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

my iphone is being overnighted on 6/29. I'l have the thing up and running by 6/30.

i need to figure out how to do my verizon cancellation without any service gap., I wonder how that's done. the wife's past her contract, so she can jsut "port" her number over.

26. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

forgot to add:

I posted on another iPhone thread, about getting a hook up my from my cingular buddy. i checked into it, and his reply was:

"Our regional director jsut sent a memo. It read "The fastest way to lose your job at Cingular is to discount an iPhone in any way."

BOOOOO-UURRNNNSSS!

27. TheSheriffIsNEAR

TheSheriffIsNEAR 250+ Posts

I can't imagine trying to read (err, scroll around in) web pages on a 3.5" screen with that low a resolution. But I'll wait for the reports here.

28. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

this resolution is pretty good on that small of a screen.

29. bighornfan32

bighornfan32 100+ Posts

About how long will it be till the second edition comes out? I want one badly, but I dont want to be stuck with a buggy phone if all I had to do is wait a while.

30. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

average time for ipod updates are around 225 days. however since this is rev a-->rev b, i would guesstimate between 4-12 months. you never know really on a new product.

there wont be many software bugs, and if there are any they should be fixed pretty easily. i would go ahead and buy one if you are happy with the specs. apple will fix anything that goes wrong within the first year.

something better will ALWAYS be introduced 12 months after you buy a certain product. thats just how it goes in the technological world we live in.

if you wait for perfection, youll never get laid.