Should I get the iPhone? edit: I got my iPhone...

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by dang-str8, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

yes, if you start the activation process over i believe you can. if she is ok with getting a new number, you wouldnt have to port it over (since it will be registered with at&t). this is the easy solution if you just want to get it activated.

2. dang-str8

dang-str8 1,000+ Posts

Dang scottsins... sorry you're going through so much hell to activate it... that sucks for you guys... I gotta say, after using this thing in the real world, I'm really impressed... even with no wifi and just edge... at lunch, we started talking about John from Cinci, and I could not remember the guys name... logged on to imdb, and in seconds I had his info, and then his bio on Wikipedia... At HEB, I was able to find a recipe we wanted online to make sure we had all ingredients... ALLSOME... And YES, mike... I totally look like a kid showing off the new toy after christmas lol...

Only complaint is the camera phone... I really don't want it for quality pictures or anything, but even the pictures used for the contacts are a little crappy... you have to be really still to not have a blurry, sucky pic...

3. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

yeah the camera is just as ****** as any other 1-2MP phone camera.

although, my old phone had a 3.13 megapixel and it was still ****. a phone will never be a good substitute for a digital camera. i wish they wouldnt have even put a camera on the iphone, but i guess its good for quick, random pictures.

4. longerhorn

longerhorn 25+ Posts

I beg to differ:

[​IMG]

5. SMDhorn

SMDhorn 250+ Posts

I finally got to play with one of these things in a cingular store. Very nice, I must say. I could see how it would be extremely useful, yet extremely distracting as a student. You don't even need a laptop to go online in class anymore... [​IMG]

I know I won't have one until after I graduate and get a job, but that's fine by me. I'll just get the second revision, or whatever's new. [​IMG]

6. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

7. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

scottsins, here is your answer

8. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

^
    ^

haha!

this is our problem. I actually figured out on my own that i needed to change the zip one the first screen to mtch her (512) number.

I didn't do the other part.

*p.s. - AT&T Support is giving ****** advice, including:

"call your current carier and get them to release the phone number"

and

"go into your local AT & T store with help porting the # over."

both of these are impossible acts to erform, for many reasons.

9. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

wife's phone activated IMMEDIATELY with the trick.

then, her number ported over in about 1 hour.

I still get to talk to the sluts at AT&T though, since MY number never ported over, and it's been 36 hours.

EDIT: Number IS ported, allegedly. they say i may have to turn both phones off for a while for the switch to happen. Whatever. my wife's activation happened with both phones on, etc.

What a dump.

10. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

Everything now works on both phones. This sideways keyboard makes a huge difference. They really need to fix txting to work the same way.

11. ChazUTX

ChazUTX 250+ Posts

I wonder how long it will take for Verizon to start carrying the iPhone???

12. rhg84

rhg84 250+ Posts

13. MikeUT00

MikeUT00 Guest

I thought it was only 2 year?

14. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

2 year contract you have to sign with at&t.

but at&t has a 5 year exclusive contract for the iphone.

15. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

verizon is working on their LG phone (similar to the euro-prada one), that SEEMS much like the iPhone.

Verizon better get that thing out ******* fast.

16. MikeUT00

MikeUT00 Guest

When do you think there will be numbers out detailing the number of people that switched to AT&T over the last week or so in anticipation of the iPhone?

17. scottsins

scottsins 1,000+ Posts

all phones working great now.

the downside is that my buddy at the portland store keeps calling me to find out how to do **** customers aere asking about, like calling the same # 4 times until someone actiuvates you over the phone instantly...also, how to get around the zip code issue.

18. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

scottsins, i dont think that phone should even be mentioned in the same league as the iphone. im confused as to why some are labeling it as the "iphone killer". it does have a touchscreen and is smaller but after that the comparisons go out the window.

it costs $700-850 (plus your memory upgrade). internal storage capacity is 8Mb. the interface is not well done. it has a ****** browser/email client and no wifi (its not 3g capable either). three hours of talk time as well.

mike, not sure if those numbers will ever be released. although, i would bet that apple (if they have done as well as expected) will release weekend sales numbers next week.

19. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

some new info from the rumor mill:

updates to come soon, some within a few weeks and others before the leopard release in the fall.

these updates include mp3 ringtones, ichat (sms), disk mode (which will allow the iphone to function like an ipod), a file browser (ie. finder), widescreen typing (for all apps), iwork mobile software, spotlight search feature and a flash plug-in for safari.

20. MikeUT00

MikeUT00 Guest

Are those rumored-upgrades software based? Surely they aren't already putting out another model?

21. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

just the standard software updates.

22. Bevo5

Bevo5 1,000+ Posts

Before the release there were some stats that 40% of people calling about the iphone where not current subscribers. That would be amazing...if he sells 10million like he wants, that 4million new AT&T subscribers. Plus, the amount of money they are making from plan upgrades.

AT&T stock was the good secondary pick to Apple this past week.

23. blacklab

blacklab 250+ Posts

24. MikeUT00

MikeUT00 Guest

Black, that is hilarious! Right up there with the girl from Guatamala.

25. Swiffert

Swiffert 250+ Posts

so i got one at the apple store at la contera in SA. its pretty f'ing sweet. still playing around with it.

26. MikeUT00

MikeUT00 Guest

So that video got me interested in what was on eBay. My search yielded 5588 auctions for iPhones. You know how you can pay a small fee to get your auction to top of a search list ... well, it takes six pages to get through those auctions to get to the ones that are actually ending soonest. And it looks like they aren't even selling for retail price. I had a feeling this would happen. A ton of people thought they could make a buck by buying a phone and putting it on eBay. A lot of these people are going to lose money. I bet over the next few days there will be good deals on iPhones on eBay. There already seems to be now.

27. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts

the intelligent people presold their iphones on ebay.[​IMG] why would you try to sell something like that when the market is so saturated?

28. sessamoid

sessamoid 500+ Posts

Put me in the camp that has been super impressed with this phone so far. I'm currently posting from what is probably the only iPhone in the country of Turkey, thanks to my hotel's free wifi.

29. dang-str8

dang-str8 1,000+ Posts

thats freaking allsome sessamoid...

I can't get over how much I like this phone... I love the thing... I thought it was going to be hard to get used to the keyboard, but it's easy as hell... it's almost like the thing knows what letter I meant to hit... allsome... it's just so fun to play with... browsing the net on it is also easy as hell...

30. Benson32

Benson32 1,000+ Posts