Should there be a Kurdistan?

Discussion in 'West Mall' started by Musburger1, Dec 9, 2015.

1. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

• Like Like x 1
  2. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

3. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

4. theiioftx

theiioftx Sponsor Deputy

I am trying to find a good reason Trump did this. I’ve got nothing.

• Like Like x 2
  5. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

Isolationism immediately comes to mind.

6. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

t&p Kurds

7. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

8. Seattle Husker

Seattle Husker 10,000+ Posts

Erdogan has threatened EU officials claiming that if they don't kill the criticism of Turkey's attacks on the Kurds he'll release the 3.8M Syrian refugees being held in Turkey into Europe.

9. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

theiioftx, I think the principle was a good one. Unfortunately we have been entangled in the Syrian conflict for years. Getting out was not going to be clean or painless. It left a power void that is being filled.

The question in my mind is, is there a way to get out of conflicts like this that are clean or painless? Or once you get in do you have to stay for the next 50 years?

Also, the relationship between Turkey and the Kurds has been troubled for a much longer time than the US has had troops in Syria. I think Turkey needs to be kicked out of the EU for this as a minimum.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

11. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

12. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

It was only 50 troops holding Turkey's army back? Just 50 US military men minding their own business (thousand of miles from home in Northeast Syria). Sounds strange on the face of it.

I don't get Amash's tweet. I like him a lot but I have a hard time understanding his point. Of course Trump isn't ending a war. He is removing US involvement from a war. That is all the President of the USA has the power to do.

Notice none of the sides pose a threat to the US in any way. Not Syria. Not the Kurds. Not Turkey. Not even ISIS.

13. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

It’s closer to a total of 150 Americans, but yes.

Up until Tuesday, they provided assistance ranging from intelligence, surveillance and reconnaissance, signals, image, and visual intelligence, close-air support, fire support, casualty evacuation and communications in support of the ongoing anti-ISIS mission.

Good men, women, and children are dead today because of POTUS’ decision. That is not in dispute.

14. Seattle Husker

I'd vociferously debate that ISIS and any number of religious extremist organizations are a threat to the US. They promote dangerous ideologies that can inspire terrorism of not fund it.

The 50 soldiers we had in place were much like UN peacekeepers. There presence prevented a Syrian attack for fear of triggering a war on the level of Iraq. They were NEVER going to attack or Kurdish allies as long as those soldiers were present.

After their removal NATO'S second largest military attacked. The Trump Administration's response by Mnuchin to threaten economic sanctions are dumb. It was cheaper to keep those soldiers on place than the cost of sanctions to our own economy.

15. Dionysus

Dionysus Idoit Admin

Fixed the misspelling in the title, it was driving me crazy

• Winner Winner x 1
  16. Seattle Husker

Lol! Not sure I noticed.

17. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

18. Seattle Husker

19. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

20. Seattle Husker

Twice in the past 2 days Trump claimed "we have no troops in Syria". The first tine was to the press on his way to Minneapolis and the second time at the rally. Really? I'm sure his supporters would brush this off as an exaggeration. Everyone else would call it a lie.

21. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

22. Seattle Husker

I'd love more detail but I can't imagine a scenario which we side with Russia over our EU allies. Bizarro world indeed.

23. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

Bad people that don't like us =/= a threat to us. Of course they are dangerous ideas and people. Does that mean we put troops in every country where a dangerous terrorist group exists? Not following the logical.

I get that. It sounds like Trump, can you believe it, misrepresented the action and made a clumsy decision. I still want them all out of Syria, actually removed. Any exit is going to be messy.

24. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

Not sure why Trump would be against a UN resolution condemning Turkey for this. Doesn't make sense.

Also doesn't make sense that Russia would either. Syria is their ally.

25. Crockett

Crockett 5,000+ Posts

Trump seems to have great rapport building skills with ruthless autocrats.

• Agree Agree x 1
  26. Monahorns

Monahorns 5,000+ Posts

Trump just doesn't understand much of what he is doing. It's like he isn't a career politician or something.

27. Seattle Husker

This. Furthermore, his narcissism doesn't allow him to listen and heed those giving him guidance.

28. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

POTUS doesn’t read or take advice. That’s why his supporters love him. He’s just like them!

• Funny Funny x 1
  29. Garmel

Garmel 5,000+ Posts

I love it when the know-nothing MSM bots think they're smarter than Trump.:lmao:

30. LongestHorn

LongestHorn 2,500+ Posts

• Funny Funny x 1