Simple Wireless Network Question...

Discussion in 'Horn Depot' started by po elvis, Apr 15, 2006.

1. po elvis

po elvis 250+ Posts

I just moved. I got my cable internet and it works fine. I hooked up my Linksys router, and my internet works fine through it.

When I turn on my laptop, it says it is connected to the Wireless connection and is at a very high strength.

But, I cannot connect to the internet at all.

It worked at my former house, but not this one.

What could the problem be?

2. BA93

BA93 1,000+ Posts

did you reset the security password on the wireless router?

3. po elvis

po elvis 250+ Posts

4. BA93

BA93 1,000+ Posts

can you tell if the router is making a connection to the internet? For instance, the laptop would still connect to the wireless router even if the cable modem was turned off, but you wouldn't have internet connection of course.

if you establish a wired connection to the router, can you get to the internet then? if not, you will at least eliminate that the problem is with the wireless connection.

5. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

If I interpreted your first post right, you have two computers? One wired and one wireless?

You're not using the default network name for the wireless connection, are you? Just wondering whether you might not actually be connecting to your own network.

6. wherzwaldo

wherzwaldo 1,000+ Posts

Start -> Run
    Type "cmd" and press OK
    Type "ipconfig /all" and press Enter

Under the Wireless Network Connection, if the IP address is not 192.168.something.something, then you're not connecting to the router correctly.

7. po elvis

po elvis 250+ Posts

well i got smart and went to linksys.com and started the whole process from scratch. not sure what was wrong, but it works now.

thanks.