Small cemetery near Hwy 71/Airport

Discussion in 'Around Austin' started by Texoz, Mar 22, 2009.

1. Texoz

Texoz 1,000+ Posts

Anyone know the story behind that small plot which has about 8 or so headstones? If you're heading west on Hwy 71 from the airport and you go north on 183 there's a small plot in the middle of the interchange. It looks to be at least 50 to 70 years old and measures about 20ft by 30ft. There appears to be no way to access it unless you pull off onto the left shoulder of the interchange loop.

So it's the northwest section of the 71/183 interchange.

2. AustinBat

AustinBat 2,500+ Posts

No answer, but I've often wondered about that, too. I hope someone knows.

3. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

4. ScoPro

ScoPro 1,000+ Posts

That's an old family farm cemetery that was there well before the road construction almost 50 years ago.

The orginal cemetery was actually a few feet lower than it is now - the Highway Dept. having buried it deeper with the newer land contours - then the iron fence & stone markers were place over the approximate location.

Just looked at it on Google Earth.

That's what I recall from reading about it back at that time.

5. Texoz

Texoz 1,000+ Posts

Thanks, ScoPro. That's what I figured. However, I have wondered why they didn't move them? Seems like an odd thing to leave there with no access.

Maybe their descendents just throw flowers out of their car window as they drive by?

6. ScoPro

ScoPro 1,000+ Posts

The family may have died out 100 years ago, who knows? It's nice that the contractors (or maybe family) planted a tree or two next to it when that work was done. Originally there were no trees there when the construction was finished.

I always like to look for it when we return home from an out of town flight.

7. Texoz

Texoz 1,000+ Posts

I've had some email exchanges with host of the website that MilkmanDan listed. Great find by the way.

Apparently it's this oneThe Link even though the info about being north of the Colorado River is incorrect. The actual street address, 1200 Bastrop Hwy, is essentially on the nose.

I recently rode my bike past another unexpected location for a cemetery, in the middle of Allendale neighborhood.The Link
    It's just as old.

8. johnny chimpo

johnny chimpo 500+ Posts

Whoa, that Allendale cemetary is about a block off my jogging trail I've been running for 5 yrs, never even heard of it. Will check it out after work.

9. MilkmanDan

MilkmanDan 1,000+ Posts

Same here. My grandmother lived two blocks north of that cemetery on Vine and I had no idea it was there.

10. judgroybeanbag

judgroybeanbag 500+ Posts

If you ever go to Pedernales Falls St. Park, take the long trail across the river. On the way back, at the very back of the park, is a very old cemetary. Kinda creepy but also kind of cool. A lot of the graves are unmarked, and are just sunken holes in the ground. I usually stop there and have a snack and honor the dead.