Small School UT Recruiting History Trivia

Discussion in 'Recruiting' started by Gylcomer, Aug 11, 2022.

1. Gylcomer

Gylcomer 500+ Posts

Only once has UT offered 3 players in the same class from a Texas school that was 2A or smaller, since limits were enacted in the early seventies. It was a highly questionable and criticized gamble. Who were they?

• Like Like x 1
  2. Sangre Naranjada

Sangre Naranjada 10,000+ Posts

McMichael, Acker and ? from Freer...

That's my best guess.

3. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

The Spring Branch Bears with the Tabor twins plus 2-3 more. (DB & QB went to OU)

Port Athur with Kyle Haines, Bray & Landry

Austin Reagan team that beat Jack Mildren & Cooper (actually had 5 players on the roster?) (See also Todd Dodge's Port Arthur team)

LaMarque with Bulaich & Wainscott, plus one

Todd Dodge's Port Arthur team coached by Ronnie Thompson wound up with several players in TC Jester but a couple had to go juco

For "YOU" to be asking, I'm sure that a school in Southwest Travis County did it at least once.

4. Sangre Naranjada

But Reagan was big school, as was Port Arthur. He's limiting it to 2AA schools and below (which is 3AAA these days).

5. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Sorry.

Carthage, Big Sandy, Hooks, Clarendon?

6. Sangre Naranjada

Did we sign anybody else out of Freer the year we took Acker and McMichael, @SabreHorn ?

7. Gylcomer

Gylcomer 500+ Posts

All three were lineman and two went on to be all conference

• Like Like x 1
  8. Gylcomer

Gylcomer 500+ Posts

I may be wrong but weren’t some of those you listed before the limits and schools bigger than 2A?

9. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

SN,

I don't remember it if we indeed did.

10. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

All were larger than 2A. I misread your post. Sitting on your *** at home all day will do that.

• Like Like x 1
  11. Gylcomer

Gylcomer 500+ Posts

their head coach came with them to become an assistant and one even appeared on the Johnny Carson Show.
    I’m going to go away now and give it a rest..I am evidently suffering from Newbie Social Media Incontinence

12. Gylcomer

Gylcomer 500+ Posts

BamBam..One of my all time favorites and Acker was very good. But that’s only two

Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
  13. Gylcomer

Gylcomer 500+ Posts

BamBam was close to our mystery players..I’m really getting disappointed here guys.

14. HornSwoggler

HornSwoggler Horn Fan

Acker was a Freshman in 1975 and McMichael was a freshman in 1976

15. Mike Turner

Mike Turner < 25 Posts

Must be the Talbert's .

16. HornSwoggler

HornSwoggler Horn Fan

I vaguely recall 2 or 3 players from Dickinson being offered one season but can't recall the names. Seems like 2 were brothers and one of them was a linebacker. Probably late 70s or 80s. I can't find what Dickinson's classification was during that period. May be way off base. As I recall, the brothers accepted offers.

Retraction: Dickinson was 3A State Champs in '77. Donnie Little, QB from Dickinson, came to UT in 1978.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2022
  17. Gylcomer

Gylcomer 500+ Posts

18. Gylcomer

Gylcomer 500+ Posts

I’m sorry but your reply was incorrect.

19. Gylcomer

Gylcomer 500+ Posts

I could be wrong but Dickinson was at least 3A

• Agree Agree x 1
  20. Gylcomer

Gylcomer 500+ Posts

The Talberts were before the limits

21. SabreHorn

SabreHorn 10,000+ Posts

Texas City was too big. They were 3A when 4A was the largest. In fact at one time, that district was Galveston, Freeport, Texas City, Port Neches, Aldine, & Conroe. I believe that Freeport & King Hill beat Texas City (Long Gone Dupree) and Port Neches, but had to forfeit the PNG game for using an ineligible player. Port Neches beat Texas City and went on to win the 3A State Championship.

22. Gylcomer

Gylcomer 500+ Posts

23. Gylcomer

Gylcomer 500+ Posts

I wonder if one can still find the Johnny Carson episode when one of these players was Johnny’s guest. I’m practically a computer illiterate so I won’t be posting it but I’m sure all the old timers would enjoy our longhorn on the JC Show

24. HornSwoggler

HornSwoggler Horn Fan

Your mention of the Talbert's from Texas City reminded me that the guys I was thinking of were also from Texas City not Dickinson. More research needed.

25. Gylcomer

Gylcomer 500+ Posts

One of the three suffered an injury his sophomore year and never started. Sadly he passed away in a helicopter crash 18 years ago.

26. Sangre Naranjada

Would UT still be recruiting this school pretty heavily, which has since grown to compete in 6A ball?

27. Mike Turner

Mike Turner < 25 Posts

Westlake. Shearer, Sendlein and one more 1974?

28. Sangre Naranjada

I got the answer via PM. School is right. Sendlein is not.

29. Mike Turner

Mike Turner < 25 Posts

Ingraham and beck and shearer

• Like Like x 1
  30. Gylcomer

Gylcomer 500+ Posts